- 79% of American adults used the internet in 2009, up from 67% in Feb. 2005
- 46% of online American adults 18 and older use a social networking site like MySpace, Facebook or LinkedIn, up from 8% in February 2005.
- 65% of teens 12-17 use online social networks as of Feb 2008, up from 58% in 2007 and 55% in 2006.
- As of August 2009, Facebook was the most popular online social network for American adults 18 and older.
Of adult SNS users:
- 73% have a Facebook account
- 48% have a MySpace profile
- 14% have an account on LinkedIn
- 1% each on Yahoo, YouTube, Tagged, Flickr and Classmates.com
- 10-12% are on “other” sites like Bebo, Last.FM, Digg, Blackplanet, Orkut, Hi5 and Match.com
Read more in Amanda Lenhart’s presentation, “The Democratization of Online Social Networks: A look at the change in demographics of social network users over time.”