This profile provides key demographic information on Latino eligible voters1 and other major groups of eligible voters in Louisiana.2 All demographic data are based on Pew Research Center tabulations of the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2014 American Community Survey.3
Hispanics in Louisiana’s Eligible Voter Population
- The Hispanic population in Louisiana is the 31st largest in the nation. About 222,000 Hispanics reside in Louisiana, 0.4% of all Hispanics in the United States.
- Louisiana’s population is 5% Hispanic, the 39th largest Hispanic statewide population share nationally.
- There are 99,000 Hispanic eligible voters in Louisiana—the 28th largest Hispanic statewide eligible voter population nationally. California ranks first with 6.9 million.
- Some 3% of Louisiana eligible voters are Hispanic, the 35th largest Hispanic statewide eligible voter share nationally. New Mexico ranks first with 40%.
- Some 45% of Hispanics in Louisiana are eligible to vote, ranking Louisiana 27th nationwide in the share of the Hispanic population that is eligible to vote. By contrast, 79% of the state’s white population is eligible to vote.