April 20, 2015

5 facts about online dating

A lot has changed since Match.com launched (pdf) on April 21, 1995. Then, only 14% of American adults were internet users, and online dating options were scarce. Today, nearly nine-in-ten Americans are online, and dating on the Web has grown in both popularity and acceptance. Although several dating sites have launched since Match.com’s debut, the company remains the most visited online dating site, attracting significantly more visitors than its closest competitor, according to July 2014 comScore data.

As Match.com celebrates its 20th anniversary, here are five facts about online dating from Pew Research Center’s 2013 survey:

1Online dating has lost much of its stigma. A majority of Americans now say online dating is a good way to meet people, when that hasn’t always been the case.

FT_online-dating-attitudesWhen we first studied online dating habits in 2005, most Americans had little exposure to online dating or to the people who use it, and they tended to view it as a subpar way of meeting people. Today, almost half of the public knows someone who uses online dating or who has met a spouse or partner via online dating—and their attitudes towards online dating have grown progressively more positive.

To be sure, there are still lots of people today who don’t really understand why someone would want to find a romantic partner online—21% of Americans agree with the statement that “people who use online dating sites are desperate”—but in general it is much more culturally acceptable than it was just eight years ago.

2One-in-five adults ages 25-34 years old have used online dating, but it’s also popular with older singles, too.

FT_14.02.13_onlinedating_310Online dating peaks among people in their mid-20s through mid-40s. Some 22% of 25-34 year olds and 17% of 35-44 year olds have used an online dating site or mobile dating app. Indeed, 45-54 year olds are just as likely to date online as are 18-24 year olds (8% of 45-54 year olds and 10% of 18-24 year olds are online daters). This might seem counterintuitive—aren’t most of those 18-24 year olds single? But middle-aged adults are often described as a “thin dating market,” meaning that they have a relatively limited number of available partners within their immediate social circles. Other researchers have argued that online dating is most useful to people in these thin dating markets, and our own findings seem to bear this out in the case of age.

3One-third of people who have used online dating have never actually gone on a date with someone they met on these sites.

If you haven’t found quite what you’re looking for on an online dating site, you aren’t alone. Two thirds of online daters—66%—tell us that they have gone on a date with someone they met through a dating site or dating app.  That is a substantial increase from the 43% of online daters who had actually progressed to the date stage when we first asked this question in 2005. But it still means that one-third of online daters have not yet met up in real life with someone they initially found on an online dating site.

4One-in-five online daters have asked someone else to help them with their profile.

Many online daters enlist their friends in an effort to put their best digital foot forward. Some 22% of online daters have asked someone to help them create or review their profile. Women are especially likely to enlist a friend in helping them craft the perfect profile—30% of female online daters have done this, compared with 16% of men.

55% of Americans who are in a marriage or committed relationship say they met their significant other online.

Despite the wealth of digital tools that allow people to search for potential partners, and even as one-in-ten Americans are now using one of the many online dating platforms, the vast majority of relationships still begin offline. Even among Americans who have been with their spouse or partner for five years or less, fully 88% say that they met their partner offline–without the help of a dating site.

Quiz: Online Dating: What’s Your View?

Report: How American Couples Use Technology

NOTE: This post was updated on April 20, 2015.

Category: 5 Facts

Topics: Online Dating

1. Photo of Aaron Smith

is a senior researcher focusing on the internet and technology at Pew Research Center.

2. is a research analyst focusing on internet, science and technology at Pew Research Center.

1. David Steve Matthe6 hours ago

Writing on Dating; how do I get a response? is it through Facebook or waiting for sometime?
    Should I know the person I’m dating?. Or it depends to the requirements in terms of matchmaking on profession. It is the first time I get involved on dating. I will continue until I get the right approach.

2. Lucy Mark1 month ago

I had the same doubt in mind a few years ago until I came across MillionaireDating-Sites.com. This site has comprehensive reviews of the best dating sites currently available on the market. And that’s not all; the UI is so simple that I didn’t have the slightest of difficulties in navigating through the site. Moreover, there is also a little blog section, which I’m sure would have loads of interesting content in the near future.

3. Julie Spira2 months ago

When I first went online in 1994, there was definitely a stigma and people didn’t say how they were meeting. This has dramatically changed. I’m not surprised that 30% of women have asked for help with their profiles. I believe that more men are doing so as well, based on the amount of men I’ve worked with in the past few years. We can thank the use of Facebook and smartphones for helping online dating become a way of bringing happiness to many. I have three weddings to attend this year from couples who met online. ~Julie Spira CyberDatingExpert.com.

4. keith jernigan3 months ago

Would be better if more people on here where honest and if the scammers out there where caught and thrown in jail.the the stolen pics and the people in them would press charges instead of allowing their pics to be used,I Realize some don’t know they are being used but alot either do and don’t care or they may even be selling them or prostituting them.
    Even so some so called Christian sites have fake people plus alot want to charge and no way should you ever evev give out your card out to any site.use a pay care but not your own personal one ever.too many hackers.

5. pat6 months ago

I;m one of the 33% who never got a date on any of the dating sites i’ve been on…and ive been on at least 7.

1. F3 months ago

Wow. Seven sites and zero dates.

2. Jalex3 months ago

i so surry pat, u seem so nice too

3. Polina Slesarchuk3 months ago

Pat, I have been thinking that online dating is not for me for quite a long time. I tried Tinder and other apps, was quite shocked how close people want to go from the very start when they write you: what’s up? Do you wanna go to a club? Yeah, my number is 911 and save it as a Booty Call lol. A friend suggested I try kovla.com/datings/us/atlanta when I was at a loss in terms of my online dating experience. To tell you the truth, I did spend some time evaluating both profiles and the meaning behind them by chatting with several guys, and only after that I went on a date. So far it’s been a good experience for me. Not yet sure he is my prince charming, but I am having my next date on Saturday. Wish you luck!

6. John Walsh11 months ago

I have used online dating for 14 years and live in Ireland . I married a Russian woman and lived with her 9 years and divorced . We have a better relationship since the divorce her children put too much strain on the relationship . I still continue to date in the Philippines and have met some there . The big problem is many look for money and see a foreign man as a way to get money for their children or family . I would suggest do not marry or buy a house there until you know them at least 2 years . I have heard many horror online dating stories some first hand.

1. Trey9 months ago

I got involved with a single mother through online dating. It was the biggest mistake of my life. Better to be single for the rest of your life than get involved in a situation where bratty children who aren’t yours test your patience and an antagonistic ex tries to goad you into fights. What the hell was I thinking!? I’m lucky I escaped from that mess. Never again.

7. Sinan1 year ago

Encouraging and very valuable information. I have been involved with launching an online dating site (personalitymatch.net) and I can attest that the use is increasing, market is growing, and attitudes are changing. With that growth we are going to find smarter and better online dating sites as well, such as personalitymatch.net -if I say so myself!

8. Jeff Jones1 year ago

My wife and I met online 16 years ago. We are now celebrating our 15th anniversary. We used Christian Matchmaker, and my wife’s best friend filled out the questionnaire for her without her knowing about it. We connected in the two week free trial period. Funny story, I took her pastor out to lunch to learn more about her. Her mother’s best friend was a member of my congregation and she learned about me through that connection. I was divorced, and didn’t want to do the bar scene, or parents without partners, or other church’s singles ministries. In Search Of personals in the paper were not very satisfactory. The questionnaire online gave us a great match up score and included a lot of helpful information about each other. It was met with great ridicule at the time, but I thought it was a great way to meet the right people.

9. slk1 year ago

i was always amused, by that commercial, where the woman says she doesn’t have the time to look for a relationship, but wondered how she would find the time to “keep” the relationship!!! call me old fashion, but you “feel” love, not google it!!!

10. Erika Gayle Ettin1 year ago

As someone in the industry, I love these results, especially #4. And I can tell you that 60% of my clients are female. :) alittlenudge.com

1. Smooth Edward1 year ago

Only 5% currently in a marriage or committed relationship met online? Those are not exactly stellar results. I thought is was interesting how many people use the service but have never gone on dates with someone else on the same service. As an industry professional, do those numbers seem right? Why would so many be there but not date?

1. Carol1 year ago

I’ve heard recently (though I don’t know how true the statistic actually is) that 1 in 3 NEW relationships are now beginning online. In other words, out of all marriages/committed relationships that are existing, which includes people who’ve been married for 20-30 years (before online dating), 5% of THOSE began online. I think it’s a much higher percentage of couples who have recently (last 5 years maybe?) gotten together.