March 12, 2014

What would you name today’s youngest generation of Americans?

Pew Research Center’s Paul Taylor appeared on Jon Stewart’s “The Daily Show” to discuss his new book, The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown. The conversation included the following exchange about the youngest Americans:

Stewart: “Is there a generation beneath the Millennials? Is there another one?”

Taylor: “If you can name the generation beneath the Millennials, I will take you out to lunch, because usually it’s magazine cover writers who figure that out.”

Stewart: “You just opened up a contest, my friend.”

Taylor went on to explain that generations typically span about 20 years, so the oldest Millennials, now 33, may not have much in common with today’s very youngest Americans. “I’m thinking the 12-year-old out there is somebody different,” he said.

The Pew Research Center hasn’t yet adopted any of these names. Amanda Lenhart, director of our teens and technology research, says that’s because, with the oldest of this group being young adolescents, their identities are still forming: “Their critical formative moment or moments may not yet have happened. It’s really too early to tell exactly which of the many forces acting upon them will be the most broadly applicable and impactful. It’s too soon to know what will really shape them.”

These reservations didn’t stop Jon Stewart from making his own suggestion of “The Coke Generation.” And while that may run into trademark issues, we’ve received a few others since the interview aired Monday night from folks eager for a lunch with Taylor:

TwoKays or 2K’s: “Since they are born after 2000 … Y2K?”

The Conflict Generation: “They have grown up with two big wars and many little ones. They are witness to the ‘Arab Spring,’ the rise of ethnic factions.”

Generation i, iGeners, iGens: Submitted with the disclaimer “I am not a journalist.”

@generation or the swipe generation: “Thought of that as I watched my son use his iPad.”

The Tweennials: “We are in the ‘tweens’ of this century after all.”

Screeners: “My students live and die by the screen.”

What would you name this post-millennial generation? Leave a comment below or Tweet your suggestion with #nextamerica.

Topics: Generations and Age

1. is the Social Media Editor at the Pew Research Center.

1. Joe2 days ago

The iGeneration. The first generation to grow up with high-speed internet and hand-held supercomputers.

2. Jenn Herron4 weeks ago

#generation – because that is how they define and self-define. And if I were on Twitter I would be tweeting this suggestion to #nextamerica. #caseinpoint #imagenxer

3. Travis macclendon1 month ago

The “climate changers” in that they will change the climate back to what it should be.

4. angel zuniga martinez2 months ago

The “Latinials” because the majority of them will be Latinos and the rest will be influenced by Hispanic American culture. #NextAmerica

5. “Rainbow Generation”2 months ago

Has my vote. go for it.

6. marilee garfield2 months ago

I have been thinking about this for a very long time. I am a Baby Boomer, tried and true and my son was born on Oct. 28, 1997. So, he will be turning 17 late this month (Oct, 2014). My question is, is he a millenial who go up to as “old” as 33, or is he part of this Y2K generation (being born only 2 years and 2 months before the year 2000).

I really don’t know what to call them, but Y2K or the 9/11 generation would top my list. Any advice? Being a baby boomer, my whole life has been sturctured around the 86 million of us who were born between 1946 and 1964. I can tell at a glance who’s who. And several of my nephews and neices are definitively in the Millenial generation, who comprise the biggest generation after the Baby Boomers.

Yikes, but I have to find out what to call this kid, since it will shape his whole life ahead.
    Best,
    Marilee

7. Judi O’Connor3 months ago

The best description of today’s children and teens would be the Internet Generation because they are growing up in a world of internet technology.

8. selfie3 months ago

totally the selfie gen because thats the only thing that my gen has accomplished

9. Tony barber3 months ago

The entitlement generation

10. Stacy Takyi-Mensah3 months ago

Generation Z

11. Elizabeth Ripley3 months ago

Generation Spoiled because they don’t know what it’s like to live without computers and people that do everything for them

1. Stacy Takyi-Mensah3 months ago

how old are you?

12. Liz3 months ago

So these people are going to be the people who create new wars and solve them. But first it think we should stop caring about what u look like and start caring for others. ( this is from a 9th grader)

13. C.F4 months ago

I’m not particularly sure what we should be called.
    I’m disappointed by the maturity level of others my age, but they are only twelve.
    I find it disheartening and somewhat offensive that quite a few of commenters have negative thoughts on our generation (The commenter ‘Scott’ comes to mind), but I must concede to the fact that I have not gone through as many experiences as one twice my age or more has.

14. Scott4 months ago

Many names come to my mind, none of them positive.

15. Thomas Church4 months ago

Pivitals , the next generation should be the pivital generation, as bad as it is now if they don’t make it better we will not as a country come back from this ecanomical, social slide.

16. Ronnie Cozzi4 months ago

Call them Generation Less
    because they will have less.

17. Kyle Marler4 months ago

I honestly believe we should be called the “Companion Generation.” We have a strong sense of companionship and are always in communication with each other. This has to do with our technology, but we are always talking to someone. We are talking to each other during online games, through social media, or through our phones, etc. We are very team-oriented, and this can be shown in the many video games we have today, which have team objectives. We will have to rely on each other to fix this world we live in today.

18. Bob5 months ago

I would think that since we are in the information age where kids are on tablets and I pads we could probably call it the EZ Generation. This is with no disrespect. I rember learning by imagination, heck I am writing this responce on a tablet. smart phones which can Google the answer, I say EZ Generation. I am 45 years old now and have seen and experienced everything. I have a MBA in Management with interest in Economics and have to recruit Generation X and Y for jobs.

19. RandiO5 months ago

Names of Generations [modified]:
    · The “Lost Generation” >> 1890 to 1915
    · The “Greatest Generation” >> 1916 to 1925
    · The “Silent Generation” >> 1925 to 1945
    · The “Baby Boomers >> 1946 to 1964
    · The “Generation X” (or the Gen-Xers) >> 1965 to 1980
    · The “Millennials” >> 1981 to 1995
    · The “Generation Z” (Or the “We Generation” >> 1996 to present
    Pew Research Center sponsored a contest to name the next generation after the Millennials. Names proposed include: the TwoKays or 2K’s (born after 2000), the Conflict Generation (the generation that grew up during the time of the Iraq War and War in Afghanistan), Generation i (or iGeners and iGens), @generation, the Swipe Generation, the Tweennials, and Screeners.
    Well, since the population of this Generation-Z encompass a date range spans almost 2 decades (re: as per previous generation categories), there appears to be a need to assign a new name/category for the current generation (those born circa 2010 and on forward).
    Here are some ideas:
    · The “Connected Generation” (or “GenConn”)?
    · The “Unprivate Generation” (or “Snowd-on Generation”)?
    · The “DataPoint Generation” (or “DiPGen”)?
    · The “Bummer Generation”?
    · Or the “Duped Generation”?
    · Or maybe even the “Kicked Can Generation” (or the “Dumped-On Generation”)?
    It just may be too early to tell, yet!

20. Fiona Theodoredis5 months ago

I have two children that are part of this generation, and I find them to be startlingly adaptive and innovative. They are post-consumer, post-government, post-school. I was hopelessly depressed about the state of the world before my children (and all their friends) came into it. They seem to have this fearlessly fluid relationship with the world — a kind of anything goes. To label them based on the latest technology would be a big mistake — it would be like calling the boomers the TVers, or the GenXers the Phoners. Of course people think they are i-this and selfie-that, this is because they use these technologies to plug into social media, because they are hungry for connection, like every generation. But they are way more than just their devices. If anything they almost take their devices more lightly than previous generations, because devices have been around as long as they have — a given, but not definitive. I propose we call them the AughtWe’s (aught means both zero and everything), and “we” for how like one large organism this generation is due to it being so connected through social media. It’s almost like a hive mind — but also a very exuberant.

AughtWe Generation

21. Anna Q.5 months ago

“The Zentennials”

22. tramp5 months ago

the star trek generation…..when the announcements come, you will need your depends….and you will see…the star trek generation…..

23. Sherissa Microys6 months ago

I think the youngest generation will become the ‘World Generation’. They have grown up during nearly 20 years of war on the news and in our table talk. They are likely to revoke further war and will actively embrace peace. They have been over-protected by parents and are likely to turn to artists and expression. They have been exposed to great diversity and it will be second nature to them to think globally. This won’t just be a North American generation, but a world generation.

24. Susannah6 months ago

I like the name Homelanders.

I think there’s a certain air of resignation about post-millennials: they still hope they can change the world but they’re fully cognizant of how screwed up it is already. It’s reflected in their music and in YA literature (all the supernatural and post-apocalyptic teen novels).

25. Brian Chisholm6 months ago

This is an easy question. With the advent of the Tablet, Personal Computers, Internet, Smart Phones all being able to access the internet, the free flow of information that the next generation has at its fingertips; their name should be a no-brainer. The Information Generation. Bar none this upcoming generation has access to the information of the entire world literally at the stoke of a key or the flick of a finger. Whatever they need to research can be done in a matter of seconds; compare and contrast that with the previous generations who still remember having to use the Dewy Decimal System. Indeed even public Libraries are becoming a thing of the past, with PDF’s, and digital books so conveniently stored in our i Pads, Kindles, and Nexuses. Quite literally a library at your fingertips, to peruse at one’s own leisure. My vote. The Next Generation is indeed the Information Generation.

1. Brian Chisholm6 months ago

As a post thought this will be the first generation that is able to utilize the Internet and all its information at its present full potential. The internet is now in almost every classroom. The previous generations have given this new one a great gift. The Library of Alexandria rebuilt and easily accessible. It is an awesome gift, but carries with it an even more awesome responsibility as does the mantle of the Information Generation. It means that there can be no excuse to not research a claim. There can be no excuse for misinformation. When a lifetime’s research can be done with the click of a mouse there can be no excuses for ignorance. Only an appeal to negligence. So yes awesome name, awesome responsibility.

26. Carolyn merchant6 months ago

Dragon babies..

My wonderful grandchild of 2 is fulfilling the chinese proverbs for dragon babies. She shows amazing insight at barely 2. The children are being raised by loving and caring parents, given varied experiences and blossoming. I believe others in the age show exceptional experiences and insight. Many have involved parents. They have greatness in them.

27. Chelsea Meadows6 months ago

The Bloomer’s
    Since the boomers raised these kids to be better n have better then they did it only makes sense to name them after them. And since the boomers did do something right with these kids they should be called bloomers since they are blooming into something wonderful.

1. Emalee5 months ago

Wonderful? Chelsea I have no idea if you’re talking about America or not, but that’s wrong. The majority of the younger generation today are mindless and cannot think for themselves… sadly, I am part of this generation. The only things they care about are “swag”, “bitches”, when they get their next text message. They dont care about reading or world affairs or anything like that. Most parents don’t give a crap about what their children do. They focus too much on other people rather than themselves and idolize the wrong people, who only contribute more to the generations mindlessness and stupidity.

28. DH Sawyer6 months ago

The proper name to call them at present is “children.” Let them define their own so called “generation” if any of them choose, though I hope they find a way beyond such. The foolishness that prevails with such insignificant significance renders us all absurd for prescribing to yet more uncalled for mental consumption.

There are some things that don’t require “marketing.” Hyperbole is often the product of intellectual mediocrity, after all. Remember the nonsense of “The Greatest Generation?” How about the “Grand Baby Boomers?” All of us who are alive in this moment are, unless otherwise proclaimed, human beings from earth- living in a time that is pre-historic in its behavioral component of being human. Evolve. It’s something that we can all do together- whether as Americans or not.

29. John Muthukat6 months ago

This means mankind may enter the 22nd century as a very crippled species and will not survive another century!!!

30. Kate6 months ago

Generation XL

31. Mary7 months ago

Each generation has had their “movement” to breakaway from their parent’s tradition. I believe the youth of today have done a brilliant job of setting themselves a part in a global way. This generation is so tech-savvy and the emerging youth of this generation are looking for ways to work smarter (and not harder) combined with advancing Technology-it has spurred this generation to create a new (abbreviated) language (coding). I believe several tech terms would be a great fit – my suggestion: Generation “86” (according to netlingo it’s online jargon defined as text messaging shorthand.)

32. Jim7 months ago

The Wired Generation. They’re always plugged in.

33. shannon7 months ago

The streaming generation….what movie, which game, who said…?, where was ….. When did….the world as it is , was , will be, could be, endless streaming blogging,,tapped in

34. ASJ8 months ago

My two young children (ages 3 & 6) are part of this generation. I take issue with the derogatory comments about technology used to describe them and their friends. Despite those YouTube videos of babies swiping real books – in reality – most of the children we know have very protected media limits and digital technology use. Maybe it is just where we live or how we are raising them, but I definitely see the pendulum swinging back the other way from total digital and media saturation.

1. Kevin Yu (KRYMauL)4 months ago

Actually this generation, which both of us are apart of, is more concerned about globalization but at the age of 12 where the majority of them lie it is mindlessness. After that is all about parties and being connected, so why not call it the We Generation or the Connected Generation

35. markdiodati8 months ago

innovator

36. Michael8 months ago

I Stumbled upon this article while researching generations so i could write an essay for a grant, I myself would be classified as a Millennial if we go by age even though the later part of my generation could also be lumped into the “Post-Millennial” grouping. I do not see how you can call a whole generation basically worthless and self absorbed while the “Boomers” are the ones who raised us. Ponder that one a moment and see who is at fault it really is. If you can label the whole Generation born after lets say 1995 as worthless, then i can call the “Boomers” the worst guardians that ever lived.

37. anonymous8 months ago

Who are these “experts” because all of the below applies to the current millennial generation not the post-millennials, they weren’t impacted by 9/11 they were born or babies when it happened, and we’re currently the digital natives/selfie generation so…. ?

“Some marketers and experts have attempted to name this post-millennial generation. Suggestions include Digital Natives, Generation Like and the Selfie Generation, emphasizing this generation’s deep connection to technology; the Rainbow Generation, a nod to their diversity; and Homelanders or the 9/11 Generation, tributes to how the 9/11 attacks and war on terrorism shaped their early lives.”

38. Nitzia8 months ago

Wasted Generation.

Even though I am apart of this Young teenage world, I do not agree with the way teens are being influenced and how even adults are letting themselves be influenced by teens.

It wasn’t like this before, and I know it. My question is, What the hell happened?
    Was it the advanced technology that got us all hypnotized and addicted?

39. afterthemillennials.com8 months ago

I research this generation professionally, and have studied family and consumer trends for about 12 years. I’m surprised by the number of respondents who prefer iGeneration for two reasons:

1) Apple-i: Kids are ditching iPhones for Samsung. Hence the i-brand describes their parents more than their kids.

2) Self-i: Children growing up in the shadow of the recession are apparently MORE other-oriented than kids surveyed before the recession.

iGeneration as a moniker might have defined the generation before them, but probably not these kids as they grow older.

“Generation Transparent” maybe? Where’s their privacy anyway?

40. Damon Ogden8 months ago

Generation Rx. This generation is 500% more likely to be medicated with mind altering drugs than any other nation. This is the first generation that will be mediated at this crazy level by an out of control legal prescription pharmaceutical cultural from childhood to death.

1. Kay7 months ago

pharmacy drug sales will support you

41. Kent8 months ago

I’m surprised how many commenters have low opinions of those under 14! The comments about self-obsession, morals etc. seem like the quote attributed to Socrates about the youth of Athens. A good case can be made for a growing sense of self, however, this has been growing for four decades. In the 70’s it was popular to call the Baby boomers the “Me Generation”.

The digital native type names make more sense but the same applies to Millennials and only superficially addresses their lives. Why no TV or radio generations?

1. Kahryl7 months ago

The Gen-X er’s will be the “lost generation” once our “post millennial” children make such huge advances in technology- it will be like watching our parents trying to use a VCR for the first time!
      The negative comments about this young generation are disheartening! Their parents and grandparents are to blame by providing them with all the technology- turning them into technologic zombies. If you didn’t provide these items, we could live like cave men forever! Have you ever asked a child about what they do all day with their face in a device- it is some pretty amazing stuff.

42. Kent8 months ago

Gen-Less. They are defined by constraints that have never existed before in American history: The first generation when the birthrate dropped below the replacement rate (about 2.1 children per woman). This has profound demographic implications. America will depend on immigration for growth (the fact that many question whether population growth is desirable (environmentalist on the left and anti-immigration pseudo-conservatives on the right) is emblematic of the constraints that Gen-Less will live with). By the end of the generation, 27.3% of Americans will be first or second generation Americans; the highest level since 1940 (see Pew’s excellent “The Next America”). It is the first complete generation that in its formative years will not expect to have a higher standard of living than its parents generation (many Millennials were teens in the 90’s).

Economic/environmental/resource constraints are central to their lives and will not be discussed simply as hypothesis (e.g. is climate change manmade?) but rather how to deal with the fallout of these constraints (read last few years of GMO Group Chairman Jeremey Grantham’s quarterly letters). While Millennials may not expect much in Social Security, Gen-Less will get less.

Continuing current trends, Gen-Less will be less religious, and less affiliated with either political party (the parties have themselves to blame!). They’ll likely be the generation of less war due to financial and political constraints. Also less prejudice due to interracial marriages and familiarity with people of many backgrounds.

43. Johanna9 months ago

The Cyber Generation. iGeneration is too brand-specific to Apple products.

44. Carlos9 months ago

How about ‘Bit Generation’?

45. Phil9 months ago

How abou Digitalis?

46. Malia Miranda9 months ago

iGeneration.

Hands down. In reference to mobile devices / selfie’s / multiple social networking sights where the “i”s convey everything they are doing. It’s a way of life now.

47. David9 months ago

Generation Tech

Perfect fit that encompasses everyone in this era

48. Todd9 months ago

The way everyone here is talking, you may as well call them The Worst Generation.
    But seriously, everybody is assuming today’s young people are just going to be sitting playing on their i-phones instead of accomplishing great things. They will likely cure diseases, they’re going to overcome homophobia, they’ll invent new technologies, reverse global climate change. Either they’ll do these things, or we’ll all die. I think we greatly underestimate this next generation. It seems to me that today’s youth are far more sophisticated than we were at that age. They are much smarter, more well spoken, less naive than we were. They also feel more pressure to “save the world” from wars, hunger, disease, racism, sexism. Some day they’ll look back at us and laugh at our worthless and ineffective Gen X and Y were.

49. Catherine Nolan9 months ago

I would call them the “20firsters,” or “twenty firsters.”

50. Susannah9 months ago

I agree that iGeneration perfectly captures the combination of entitlement and technology obsession that is constantly on display by the current generation. Even the kids who are growing up without much (money, gadgets, etc.) show a remarkable sense of entitlement.

51. BEN G9 months ago

The Blue Faces.
    When you driving at night and all you see in the rear view is a blue face in your back seat lit up by the light of the smart phone.
    I think Levin had a great one – The Failure to Launch Generation.

52. Hy Davis9 months ago

I’ll name them “the .com generation”

53. Jules Maloney9 months ago

The “Doomed Generation” because the over consumption of resources by their parents and grandparents as well as the inability of global politicians/leaders to unify for our mutual survival, is leaving with them with a harsh reality and risk of collapse. A reality we all choose to ignore.

54. Hugo Martin9 months ago

The “Selfie” Generation.

It occured to me while listening to that irritating “Let me take a selfie” song that you have my have endured out of morbid curiosity.

I don’t mean to imply that this generation will neccesarily be irritating or selfish – only that the technology is increasingly making people isolated and self-involved, even to the point of looking self-infatuated. It’s all about my twitter, my instagram, constantly updating my facebook status with pictures of myself at every moment. “I take a selfie, therefore I am”

55. John9 months ago

definitely the “iGeneration”

56. Erick Daza9 months ago

The Expecting Generation, these people have no idea of what to expect as there is a huge shift in the distribution of power globally and unprecedented changes in American society

57. jerry9 months ago

text generation

1. Ambria_Red8 months ago

I ❤️ it!

Generation Next should be ‘Generation Text’!

58. Bebn Edwards9 months ago

How about the Unmoored Generation? Suspicious of most traditional ties.

59. Lonnie Evans9 months ago

In my recently published book on generational synergy, AMERICAN INTERGENUITY, I dubbed them “Generation Nano”…they will be a small generation numerically and will be known for refining digital and Nano technologies.

60. Sue B9 months ago

How about just describing their birth years — the new century — new centurions?

61. Tom Raywood9 months ago

“Appies”
    Since I expect this youngest generation to attempt to refine what the previous generation saw just partial success with, (changing the world through the use of social media), I suspect “Appies” may well turn out to prove most fitting, especially if, (as I also suspect), we witness in them a return to the ‘pre-rainbow’ fashion reminiscent of the 60’s. [Beyond that, some of the following may be as good as what others have suggested.]

“DigitalGeneration”
    captures identifying behavior in two forms, use of electronics and use of thumbs

“HeadSet”
    captures identifying behavior in two forms, obsession with ‘tunes’ and, (allegedly), self-absorption

“PostGeneration”
    —1 captures identifying behavior
    —2 implies ‘postmillenial’

“Breves” (pronounced breevz)
    —1 as an abbreviation for ‘abbreviation’ captures identifying behavior in two forms, texting and coffee consumption, as well as a third in more nuanced form (constancy with music).
    —2 plays up the fact that they are smaller in number (relatively speaking) since such a large number of the prior generation wait so long to marry (or don’t marry at all)
    —3 plays up the fact that they care less than prior generations about acquiring formal language skills (big mistake, btw, imho) since, of course, the word breves would normally be pronounced breh-vays, not breevz.

btw, the Rev. James Robinson-looking Paul Taylor was a terrific guest and quite witty himself, yes?

62. ford griffith9 months ago

the INTERNET GENERATION

63. slk9 months ago

how do you punish these people…take away their batteries!!!

64. slk9 months ago

“mostly moochers”!!! with rules and regulations, about parenting, children are growing up more like rachel canning everyday!!!

65. Linda9 months ago

Techies. They understand technology more than us baby boomers ever will.

66. Richard W Wackett9 months ago

“The Coffee Party” [doing away with “The Tea Party”]

67. Richard Dreyer9 months ago

I call it MEE generation.
    It’s all about ME and all about Entitlements.

68. Rick Wiedeman9 months ago

Gen X2. We Gen X-ers are the ones raising them, so they will reflect/flee from our values.

69. marianne caldwell9 months ago

Techno-Color
    Technology will be in every part of their lives and by 2040 the demographics will be one of color.

70. Phranque9 months ago

The Selfies

1. slk9 months ago

there’re pics circulating of 6 to 8, sitting in a restaurant, and everyone is communicating at once, with someone other then there!!!

71. Eunkyung Park9 months ago

“Digital Islanders”; they have deep connection with technology and are pretty much isolated, if not at individual level, within narrowly defined digital communities.

72. Charlie Jensen9 months ago

I suggest the “Running Dog Wage Slave” generation, the 99% who are about to lose their right to vote and be condemned to mediocre salary jobs, while the 1% assume the mantle of wealth and power not seen since the fall of the Bastille.

73. Doug9 months ago

# hashtag generation

74. Patty9 months ago

Altruists

75. miller9 months ago

“Androids”

76. Jeanne Young9 months ago

the BOOMERANGS

77. Margaret9 months ago

I call it

THE “LOST” GENERATION!

(LOST BY THEIR PARENTS, THEIR CHURCH, THEIR TEACHERS, THEIR JUDICIAL OFFICERS, AND MOST QUESTIONABLE, BY THEIR GOD????????)

(LOST FROM MANNERS, MORALS, RESPONSIBILITIES, CRITICAL THINKING SELF ESTEEM, COMMON SENSE AND SO MUCH MORE)

AS IN ALL THINGS, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS BUT THE SCALE OF LIFE IS WAY OUT OF BALANCE WITH THIS ONE.

OUR GREATEST POWER IS —— CHOICES.

1. Kent8 months ago

The generation that fought WWI is known as the Lost Generation. Considering that the oldest of this generation is 13, your criticism doesn’t make much sense – are 5 year olds on a crime spree? Also, reported crime is near an all-time low. Also, domestic abuse, hate crimes, fights, and similar crimes were reported at much lower rates the further you go back in the 20th century. You seem to hold many of the same counterfactual views as Al-Queda.

2. Kevin Yu+(KRYMauL)4 months ago

The post-millennial generations know more about the world, and for the most part grew up in fear of terrorism and constantly wanting globalization and stable economy at least that what I think, but other my age, 17-18, just drink and party like all generations did before. In essence the truth about a generation can be shown in the oldest among them meaning that the post-millennial generation is connected, but not constantly on their phones as that is the younger members, who are learning about something whether it’s how to play a video game or the definition of a word, and the older more curious generations ie the boomers and Gen-Xers who can barely understand a copy machine or how to plug in a VCR

78. Dr. Joseph B. Kennedy, Sr.9 months ago

Inter-nuts! Maybe interdicts! Net-nuts. Maybe netdicts. One thing we see now in psychotherapy is addiction beyond the control of the individual as well as beyond the help of friends and family. Produces isolation and a form of addict’s narcissism. Far more serious than thought…in my professional opinion.
    doc
    sage-usa.net

79. john9 months ago

IGENs resonates with me. It crystalizes their self centric perspective as well as their Internet focus that is replacing social interation.

80. Nick_in_Napa9 months ago

I teach this age group (6th graders). They have had access to technology since they were born. At our school, we are locked in with technology all day long. A few studies coming out on cognition and neurology research are suggesting that the so-called multi-tasking these kids are doing–checking social media, while writing an essay, while uploading a song, while liking a friend’s comment, while texting a friend, while playing their favorite game, while…–is creating cognitive dysfunction (namely the inability to focus on anything for more than a few minutes, lack of creativity, depression, obesity, the lack of communication skills, etc.).

With tongue slightly in cheek, how about Generation Stupid?

81. Jim9 months ago

Gen P
    the privileged generatio
    Privileged
    the 21st century generation

these four names or similar.
    More young people are in high level learning programs at Montessori, Day Care, Pre-school, public grade school, etc.
    In a few years it will be readily evident.

82. decaffeinated writer9 months ago

I have been pondering that question for about ten years since reading “The Fourth Turning” by Strauss and Howe in grad school. Thanks for bringing it up. For lack of a better term I have been calling these young people Homelanders. I await their official moniker.
    I do like some of the suggestions below. In a different mode, one could refer to these young people as the Pluto in Sagittarius generation 1995-2008 (now aged 19-6) with the Pluto in Capricorn generation (1995-2023) waiting in the wings, swiping and texting on their i-devices.

83. Bob Cronin9 months ago

The network generation

84. fiery gal9 months ago

cloudgen

(and for all the other suggestions out there – if you have to esplane it, it isn’t.)

85. Lily9 months ago

I enjoyed this segment of the Daily Show, and thought that “The e-Me Generation,” pretty well describes this ever-connected, ever self-absorbed generation. A couple days later, it still seems apropos. God help us all.

86. Wes Goodvin9 months ago

I call them the Grandchildren or Great-Grandchildren.

1. AC Cia2 months ago

I love your comment the best!

87. Leslie9 months ago

Generation Change

Needed change
    Short changed

88. James Singer9 months ago

Kids

89. John Stoesser9 months ago

Clearly, after receiving their inheritance from the Boomers and Gen Y: “THE DEBT SET”

90. RICHARD D.+STACY9 months ago

“THE iPHONE GENERATION”

91. Stewart9 months ago

Simple: “Post-Millennials”

1. Efren Gerard Pardilla Jr.9 months ago

92. Michael Moon9 months ago

What about the “App” generation?

93. Dale Strickland9 months ago

My suggestion for naming the next generation after Millenials is “Technoids”.
    These young people are savvy about and comfortable with all aspects of today’s technological processes. Their assimilation of it has prepared them for future advancements which will leave the rest of us far behind in terms of comprehension and utilization.

94. Roberta Wray9 months ago

Children, for goodness sake! Why do we have to name everything? Naming doesn’t accomplish anything. We name diseases, problems, syndromes, scandals, storms! Shortcuts trivialize things.

95. Sara J. McMurray9 months ago

We are talking about 12 and 13 year olds – that’s a pretty self-absorbed age for any generation! Selfies, snap-chat etc are the toys of the younger half of the Millennials and also used by the early-adopters. Discovered and used by the next group, yes, but I think the demographic is too young to be pegged by a name that describes and sums up their behavior and applies it to a group – Dr Deb your sweeping dismissal of the next generation as universally vapid and shallow is disheartening AT BEST.

1. eaasy9 months ago

I get the ill at ease with broad brush labeling. But consider this – during the 1980’s we invented digital peer to peer communication – it was never meant for selfies and the like. We invented internet portals (for economic access) – never meant to be personal billboards at a busy intersection. We invented wireless voice communication via shared resource providers – never meant to be an avenue for self admiration, isolation from other human beans, or hacking to steal your privacy and your money. I said ‘accident’ earlier for a reason. Only a rather narcissistic attitude and sufficient greed to be upset and distanced from your peers when denied the slightest want could lead to the self-interest and isolation now available. Isolation, yes – you don’t get body language, eye registration, or intent from messaging. (Hang up and go talk to people, and play your games outdoors with friends – as well as hang up and drive). This generation has tools for instant contact. It does not (by choice) have tools for commiseration, conversation, sharing, or understanding – only the recipients own take on what was said or shown. The egocentric and distanced are among us – and the outliers become shooters or suicides.
      Social networking and portals for it are a truly bad result of distorting the purpose of really good work. Just a humble opinion, been there, done that, ate the tee shirt.

96. MendoChuck9 months ago

Seems to me that the “Terminator Generation” fits well.
    For several reasons but you can all make up your own reasons.

97. clyde9 months ago

They are not the next generation, they are the text generation.

98. Frances9 months ago

My name for my 12-year-old grandchildren is “netics” generation because they can be addicted to the net.

99. David Yardley9 months ago

My 12 year-old prefers iGens

100. Jim Bullock9 months ago

The Social Media Generation.

101. Larry9 months ago

I would refer to youngsters as the most self-absorbed generation.

Go to WAR?, Who with?, Why? Wait, I got a call.

102. Heidi9 months ago

It may not matter what the name is at all: Since they follow the hulking Millennial generation they’re likely to be completely overshadowed and forgotten by demographers and researchers. Can you hear me Generation X?

103. Pat M.9 months ago

With the amount of time that my 13 year-old girls spend on their phone using apps like kik, instagram, and pinterest combined with the amount of money they spend on apps – I think Gen-App or AppGens is how would refer to them

104. Dr Deb9 months ago

Jejunes. So self-absorbed that they have no interest in anything beyond themselves, so superficial that they don’t pretend to be engaged, and so vapid that they will neither stimulate nor challenge the status quo. They wil adopt the name because they lack the industry to even bother to investigate its meaning. And they will drop the vowels and call proudly call themselves JJ’s when texting.

105. Bob Mason9 months ago

The Swipers

106. Jim Hollis9 months ago

Simply, the iPod generation

107. Pete9 months ago

The Hekowies; young folks, check out the old TV show “F Troop” and what Freddie DeCordova was really saying…

108. eaasy9 months ago

A name for the post-millenials?

Accidents

109. Guy Fuson9 months ago

The Evernet Generation – all connected, all the time.

110. Mark9 months ago

I think it’s the Me Generation. Despite trying hard as a parent to raise kids to consider the “we world” around us… there’s a great deal of negative reinforcement around kids being internally focused. Symptoms of this include “selfies” and head-phones that close-out-the-world… all to reinforce the “me” virtue.

1. Melinda Lockwood9 months ago

With you on this. MeGen for sure! They have been taught to believe that the world truly revolves around them. We could alternatively go for the SadGen as they do not seem to have the same sense of joy and excitement of previous generations.

111. Holly9 months ago

Generation Text (a play off of “Generation Next”).

Give it five years and text messages will be as dinosaur-y as flip phones, though …

112. Stowe Boyd9 months ago

the Postnormals, after the era. ‘The new normal is that there no normal anymore.’

113. Bettye9 months ago

Techyes

114. Jim Mc Connell9 months ago

The generation of young people today live, breathe and eat with their phones attached to their beings.
    I would call them The Phonetics Generation. Or GenPhons.

Not to be confused with phonics from the 70’s.

115. Kristi Baird9 months ago

I asked my 12 year old what he would name his generation. He said, “Cheeseburger!” with a grin and went back to his video game.

116. Clara9 months ago

I would name it the “mobile me” generation because they are communicating their status constantly on their mobile phones.

117. Adrian Courage9 months ago

The Cybernation? The Internation? The Virtual Generation? The Post-Facebook Generation? The Remixers? The Mash-up Generation? Something like that.

118. Athena Gray9 months ago

Do NOT call them the Rainbow Generation. That’s very disrespectful to those of us in the LGBTQ+ community, for which the rainbow is a symbol of community, safety, and visibility. Nobody gets to appropriate that.

1. Katrina9 months ago

Athena, this is tangential to the article, but I found your comment particularly interesting because I also feel strongly about this topic – but in the opposite way. While I am a staunch supporter of the LBGTQ+ community, I do have an issue with ITS appropriation of the rainbow. Starting as a young child, and throughout my life, I’ve felt a strong affection for and connection with the rainbow – perhaps symbolizing the same ideals of community and safety that you mention. And while I still use/wear/display it – without any regard for being perceived as “gay” or not – it does bother me a little bit that a symbol so beautiful and natural should be “owned” by any one group. I think the community has every right to use it, but not to claim it as their own, as if they invented the rainbow. In other words, I think the rainbow belongs in the “public domain.”

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts.

2. Melinda Lockwood9 months ago

Sorry but the rainbow has long been a symbol of goodness and hope. It is not yours exclusively.

3. clyde9 months ago

OMG – you’re right – no one gets to appropriate the rainbow – not even you!

1. Dale Strickland9 months ago

Right on! Rainbows represent new beginnings, fresh starts, optimism, a bright & shiny future. We all can share, but no one can own.

4. T9 months ago

That’s a disgusting comment. Rainbow was chosen because a rainbow shows the full spectrum. If a society identified itself as a rainbow, it would only be because the so-called movement was successful. Nothing like boxing yourself up back in your own self-made closet. Hard to advocate for inclusion when you exclude others. It can’t be a trademark–who owns it?

119. Carolyn Wilson9 months ago

I would say those of us born before 1985 are not millenials, even though we are lumped into that category. we should have a different category name. Maybe the millenials group should be shifted to later dates then currently considered…

1. Haik9 months ago

Hey Carolyn, I couldn’t agree more. I’m actually writing a research paper on that very idea. Do you mind sharing more?! I’d love to hear your opinions on why you think that!