March 12, 2014

What would you name today’s youngest generation of Americans?

Pew Research Center’s Paul Taylor appeared on Jon Stewart’s “The Daily Show” to discuss his new book, The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown. The conversation included the following exchange about the youngest Americans:

Stewart: “Is there a generation beneath the Millennials? Is there another one?”

Taylor: “If you can name the generation beneath the Millennials, I will take you out to lunch, because usually it’s magazine cover writers who figure that out.”

Stewart: “You just opened up a contest, my friend.”

Taylor went on to explain that generations typically span about 20 years, so the oldest Millennials, now 33, may not have much in common with today’s very youngest Americans. “I’m thinking the 12-year-old out there is somebody different,” he said.

The Pew Research Center hasn’t yet adopted any of these names. Amanda Lenhart, director of our teens and technology research, says that’s because, with the oldest of this group being young adolescents, their identities are still forming: “Their critical formative moment or moments may not yet have happened. It’s really too early to tell exactly which of the many forces acting upon them will be the most broadly applicable and impactful. It’s too soon to know what will really shape them.”

These reservations didn’t stop Jon Stewart from making his own suggestion of “The Coke Generation.” And while that may run into trademark issues, we’ve received a few others since the interview aired Monday night from folks eager for a lunch with Taylor:

TwoKays or 2K’s: “Since they are born after 2000 … Y2K?”

The Conflict Generation: “They have grown up with two big wars and many little ones. They are witness to the ‘Arab Spring,’ the rise of ethnic factions.”

Generation i, iGeners, iGens: Submitted with the disclaimer “I am not a journalist.”

@generation or the swipe generation: “Thought of that as I watched my son use his iPad.”

The Tweennials: “We are in the ‘tweens’ of this century after all.”

Screeners: “My students live and die by the screen.”

What would you name this post-millennial generation? Leave a comment below or Tweet your suggestion with #nextamerica.

Topics: Generations and Age

1. is the social media editor at Pew Research Center.

1. Nancy Lumsden1 month ago

Call it the POST-IT GENERATION

2. MarK Wood2 months ago

Generation-En (entitled)

3. me2 months ago

Tech gen

4. Joni Crowell3 months ago

some ideas:
    Information Generation
    Social Generation (the Socials)

5. steve crawford3 months ago

I’d suggest The Technicals. To reflect the technology boom this generation will experience and ulilize vs others in the past.

6. ThisNameIsTheName3 months ago

We are the meme generation. Normies…pffff.

7. Tonda E. Wilson4 months ago

“Sub Millennials” perfect name for the generation born in the 2000’s

8. Bubbles Actually is Me4 months ago

How about ‘The Technigeek Gen’

9. Denise4 months ago

I think the name that fits the best is the laZy generation

10. ahmed ossama bahgat4 months ago

I just want to determine , how can we estimate generation with time ?

for instance each 5 years compose a generation or 10 years or 20 years

simply I m 1984 birth , so whats my generation begin and end ? does I be classified as 80’s generation 1981-1990

please advise thats confusing

1. Haydens Unzumaki1 month ago

Lhh no your a millennial

11. Raymond Kalas4 months ago

We produce a TV show called Generations. We refer to anyone born since 2000 as “Digital Natives”.

12. Chris Henson5 months ago

How about “The Latest Generation?”

13. Chris5 months ago

At this point we have pushed our economic burden onto them, so I would call them the encumbered generation

1. Sarah3 months ago

I like this! But honestly isn’t every generation forced to live with dicisions made in the past?

14. big bill haywood5 months ago

I would name the REAL GENEration, as GENErationd are determined by a specific age that one reaches (adulthood) in which it is socially acceptable to spawn a new GENEtic line. So, with that said, it MUST be 18 years as a FACT (when not twisted by political pundits, economists, etc to make certain age groups, like Millies/Millennials look better socially, financially, etc than they really are). So, hete we go-

Baby ‘Boomrs-born 1946-1964 (the REAL and original ME gen, were given everything in at the height of New Deal subsidies (eg; the building up of Long Island, including Queens and Kings Counties, minus the old Brooklyn City and Long Island City, as the rest from Flushing to Montauk was Indian Territory) remember FDR, as eell as his 80% tax on corporations, as well as Eisenhower being accused of being a “Communist” for jacking the corporate tax to 90%+. Born post WWII to the assassination of Kennedy.

Generation X-born 1965-1983, rpughly from the Johnson takeover of the assassinated Kennedy White House, during the “Declaration of War on Poverty” era, through the Republican Nixon Administration, where we, Gen Xers 65-83 were taught Republicans stood for Title IX, Affirmative Action, decent foreign relations with Nemical countrirs (eg; China, which is why we STILL have the Panda Exchange program), however, in later years, witnessed the War on Poverty swit h to the Ear on Drugs (ironically after Hoover dies and the R.I.C.O Statute is in place to take drugs out of the hands of Jews, Italians, Neapolitans, Sicilians, etc, and put it in Federal hands). This Generation felt that there was NO future for us, as everything the ‘Boomers and Silent Genners worked for was being stripped from us little by little. Gen X ends when the R.I.C.O Statute showed its ugly head in 1983 during the Iran-Contra Crisis, as well as Reagans 1983/84(?) choice to take Saddam Hussein OFF the list of International Terrorist List and ADD Nelson Mandela.

Millirs/Millennials-born 1984-2002. Just as George Orwell had counted in 18 year increments since Brokow “created” the 18 year span to adulthood of Generational Definitions for Silent Genners and ‘Boomers, 1984 wpuld BEGIN the year of a NRW Generation, to which, unfortunately, would be so propagated by Domestic and Foreign agit-prop, would create the 1984 World which, although fictional, he felt was bound to happen as talks of our MODERN 2005+ surveillance had gone back in the U.S since the Jewish, Neapolitan, Italian, and overall artsy and sophisticated Bohemien Philisophers of the 1890-1930 labour movement had gradually created momentum, especially in Paterson, NJ, on which Gaetano Bresci went back to Italia and killed Re Umberto â mManza (King Umberto at Manza), as well as the Silk Strikes of 1924. Only in Orwells 1984, it was strictly National (U.S’s Democratic Republic, USSR Socialist Tepublican borders. Millies have taken the prophecy of Orwells vision of them and multiplied it by 10, as EVERY COUNTRY quasi fits into the Big Brother Statute.

New Gen-born 2003-2020 has noyhing k own about them as they are too young. All that is known is that they, like the latter half of the Millie Gen, not just dislike, or despise reading, but they simply LOATH it. They are not very artistic, much like Millies ((who have made a living by taking the crumbled up ideas and progressions of my Generations (GenX) music and ALL our art forms (Hardcore Punk, Thrash Metal, Whiteboy Funk, Synth-Pop/New Wave, Ska/2Tone, Revive-a-billy/Psychobilly, etc) and have just taken the “bits and pieces” that make money; Hip-hop (more Rap though) mixed with Madonna, with a touch of British late 90s indie (acoustic) and just re-do movies we, as well as the latter Generation Jones ‘Boomers (56-64+/-) had conceived)). They are NOT appearing to be Philosophical, yet appear VERY Liberal SOCIALLY, yet pretty conservative with their personal well being and what effects them. Everything else, they are TOO YOUNG to understand completely, although my children, who, as of 2015, are 10 and 12, LOATHE remakes of movies they have been watching since birth; Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm St., Night of the Demons, etc, although they seem to love the Chucky saga, such as the latest “Curse of Chucky”, especially with Jennifer Tilly (hey, they’re pre pubescent boys, whaddya expect). But they are not remakes to entertain Taylor Swifters or Avril Lavigners (no offense to these talented ladies, just proving a point) who were too young to appreciate any movies, such as Friday the 13th, yet, if they were Gen Xers, born 2-6 years earlier, by the time they were 8 they could have gone to see Halloween H20 I believe or Jason Goes to Space, or Pinhead Joins Jason on Space, whatever, and the movie clerk wouldn’t even ask you for an”I.D.”, or your “older amigas/amigos. Same thing for cigarettes, if you were 10-12 in 1994 in NJ you could buy them anywhere on your own because the law stated that it WAS NOT illegal for minors to participate in smoking tobacco, nor illegal to carry contraband or tobacco products themselves. It was ONLY illegal for a store to sell to you. And the numerous trio of areas where I lived from birth (79-80) to adulthood (97/98), vagabonding it between 3 areas that were all identical in cultute, people and attitudes as well as Liberal lifestyles-Eastside Paterson/Paterson Memorial Park Section Fairlawn, NJ, Western Flushing flank of Maspeth-Elmhurst-Jackson Hts-Forest Hills, Queens, NY, and LOWER EAST SIDE of The City (Manhattan/NYC), NOT the EAST VILLAGE, it NEVER EXISTED, it was the L.E.S and it was NEVER called the East Village, trust me, I was born in the “Alphabet City” neighborhood, which, like LoSaida, has ALWAYS been an unwritten name from the Bowery at Sara Roosevelt Park east to the FDR around the Attoney Loop.

The fact that this New Gen, as well as MOST Millies (born 86+, as the 84-85ers, if they had older siblings or cousins, may remember graffitti, squats, “degenerate suburban youth” (now known as Skaters whose citie provide them with an area to enhance their sport, when with GenX skaters, synonymous with Punkers, were despised) Rock n’ Roll/Punk Rock (Ramones/Johnny Thunders), Hardcore Punk (Adrenaline O.D, DK, MDC, Agnostic Front, Disrupt, Aus-Rotten, DRI, City Gardens, The Ritz [old Web Hall and New Ritz], Coney Island High, or Stalag 13 in Philly), squats like ABCNoRio, C-Squat, etc), bit tje post 86’ers have no clue to this, and believe it to be lies, and they are raisong this “New Gen”; even the Millies themselves have NO CLUE to this world I speak of, and speak of either Rap or Lalapalooza “Punk” or the Vans Tour Punk Shows, and since Millies are already an established Generation (I yhink at least, because their years are muddled offbeat also) the New Gen should be referred to as the New Way Generation, or Generation Limbo, or Generation Flux/Generation Limbo, which I believe to be the best, as they are in a fluxuating limbo between reality and fantasy, almost as if the ate the Orwell Generation, or Generation Orwell.

Sorry so long, but as an 8th Grade educated GenX’er, we overcompensate with many facts and figures to escape the “bum drop-out” jive we used to hear in the mid 80s to late 90s (and today it is worse, as my Gen didn’t really think of finishing High School, let alone go to college). But that’s my version of a Gen Xers, raised by Silent Genners, view of the New Gen and why they should maintain specific traits in the name chosen to refer to them.

To me, Millies are aliens ((even some collegiate Gen Xers born 73-83 who were wealthier and had access to technology in the 90s (which was not even 1/3rd of the American population)), like the ‘Boomers to the Silent Gen. Hopefully this “New Gen”, born 2003-2020, will bring a spark of life to the boring and tedious days of the modern world, their boring and anti-slapstick tv shows, lame music, unintense events, etc that Millennials, like the Silent Gen, so proudly sign their names to, and produce the next Johnny Thunders, or Ramones/Beatles, Real Civil Rights Campaigns focused not ona specific oppressed sector of society either racially, sexually, etc, but for all people; the working majority

15. William5 months ago

Generation Z has been named! Check it out: huffingtonpost.com/christine-hor…

“Generation Z.
    Transgender.
    Transsexual.
    Transracial.
    Transglobal.
    Transeconomical.

Born in the mid-90s to early ’00s, Generation Z finally has an identity. Say hello to the generation that may be the first in human history to be free to fully express themselves thanks to a lot of help from their predecessors: the Millennials (Generation Y), Gen Xers, and vanguard Baby Boomers…”

16. Noah6 months ago

War Children- we’ve grown up in a time of war around the world

17. Jana Susan Paley6 months ago

Today I was aksed what the Post-Millenial Generation ought to be called…I had some thoughts and then looked online to see if anyone had used the nickname that dawned on me and I found this survey. I came up with a few ideas and first considered “The Ought-Nots” referring to the kids born in the 2000s (all those zeros) and in an era of political correctness it is a generation told, “you ought not say this or that.” But as I pulled out my hone to respond by writing instead of calling, I figured “Generation Text” would be perfect!

18. jana6 months ago

Was asked today what the Post-Millenial Generation ought to be called… Gave it some thought and then looked around online and saw many posts like this one, but haven’t seen my nickname’s yet: Generation Text

19. Jonathan Berg6 months ago

iGeneration or iGens.

20. Maddy.L.C6 months ago

Actually, I’ve been doing research to find the answer of this question recently what channel is how I have stumbled upon this web page. The next generation(ages 0-20years)(born between 1995-2015) (may go on further but that is now ages. We are called Gen Z. Hear that, we’re GEN Z. The other generations which most people know are the lost generation(Birth year 1890-1915), the interbellum generation(Birth year 1901-1913), the greatest generation(birth year 1910-1925), the silent generations(birth year 1923-1944), baby boomer generation(birth year 1945-1964), generation X(birth year 1961-1981), Generation Y/the millennials/gen next(birth year 1975-1995), and last but not least, generation z(birth year 1995-2015). The years ar apoxomate not exact but that’s our generations. I am only 14 so I am part of “the next generation” and part of gen Z, but that’s okay because I have long life ahead of me to live, hopefully filled with happiness, family, and love. Gen Z should/is the name for me! :)

1. Bob4 months ago

That’s just a suggestion millenia are those born mid 80s to late 90s …so let’s say 1985-1998

1. Dustin3 months ago

1998 is too late. Those people will have been less than 3-years old at the dawn of the new millennium (January 1, 2001). At the absolute latest, 1996 might work.

21. Ant6 months ago

I think they should be called generation whoops, or oops. Or the cry baby generation, or generation snitch or gen snitch.

22. Person6 months ago

How can you decide what to name the next generation when they are still kids. People are thinking about calling them the I selfies and I generation but they didn’t even make phones their parents handed them to them. Give them a name once they’re all out of college.

23. StandingOnStones6 months ago

I think it’s to early to name this generation. The oldest people in the generation (depending on which dates you prefer) are only 17. I am a young Millennial/ oldest of the youngest generation.
    I dont think 9/11 should be part of our name. None of us are old enough to have more than vague memories of 9/11; it is something that happened before we were aware of the world, it didn’t really shape us.
    As for names related to technology, I think we would prefer not to named after it. We want something that will reflect us. We have not changed the world yet, but we will. Wait until then

1. Person15 months ago

The oldest Millennials are in their 30s (not 17 years old).

1. MichelleJ4 months ago

The kid meant he/she is on the borderline. On the younger end for a millennial and the older end for gen z.

24. Lauren Yelle-Simmons7 months ago

Gen I

25. Elise7 months ago

Generation Selfie!

26. Lucas7 months ago

I believe we have been molded by our past generations to become something big.We won’t dissapoint.

1. Selvyn ortiz5 months ago

Oh yes we will..we always do..dissapointment ,its what we do…

27. Bex7 months ago

You judge us before you know us. The oldest of the gen in question are only 13/14. We haven’t finished shaping to become who we are, or will be. while we have similaritieswe wont be the same with growing up with real technology. I would say we are Generation Future. We are gonna be shaping the world right alongside the 90’s kids.

28. Jim Robertson8 months ago

Generation Y Me?

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I were out on our covered porch watching the thermometer climb toward 90*, taking advantage of the oppressive heat to hang laundry out to dry, when we realized a loaf of fresh bread was about ready to enjoy.

We had been talking about the life-crushing impacts of anthropogenic climate disruption (ACD) and she said, “Ahh, fresh bread, one of life’s little pleasures left for us.” I said, “I think there will still be a few pleasures left for us in this world in the near future, although it sounds like all the shit’s really going to come down for the next generation—whatever they’re going to be called. Let’s see, we had the Baby Boomers, the Now Generation, the Me Generation, Generation X, and I vaguely remember hearing something about follow-up generations Y and Z.

She offered, “How about ‘Generation Y me?’”? I laughed and said, “Well, that one sure fits better that anything I’ve heard yet. After all, they’re the ones who are really going to have to deal with the changes wrought by ACD.”

In case those who vote on such things haven’t come up with a new nick name so far, I hereby petition that the next group of humans born should be labeled, “Generation Y me?”

29. Cynthia8 months ago

The ‘Wheaties Generation.’ Why? Because with all that they will be expected to deal with and face in the world to come, it will take ‘CHAMPIONS’ to rise above.

30. joey8 months ago

Why are people calling this generation “igeneration” or “selfies” or stuff like that? People that were born in like 1970 created stuff like iphones and androids. so THEY should be called those names, not this generation. this generation should be called something else like “nextgeneration” or “newmillenials” because they were born after the year 2000 (2004)

31. Lazarus Nyoni8 months ago

Let you call us iGeneration…….yes iGens reflects the reality.

32. Troy Diamond8 months ago

I am generation X.
    I have lived in two separate america’s. Pre 911 and Post 911.
    The age of innocence is over. Post 911 children will have to live with a much more cynical world.
    Therefore I will call them “Generation Post”.

33. Pamela Mills9 months ago

i generation or igen hands down. Kids born from 2005 will grow up around iPhone iPad iPod etc as if they always existed.

34. Scott Fagan9 months ago

iGeneration

35. Levi9 months ago

They should be named the DRONE GENERATION because give them 5 minutes they will land it in your yard squarely.

AND YES THEY ARE ALL HIGHLY TRAINED MERCENARIES THANKS TO REAL LIFE SIMULATION WAR GAMES. WORLD WAR 3 WILL TAKE AN HOUR AND HALF AND THERE WILL BE NO COMING BACK. LOOK WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO MUSIC, SCARY AINT IT.

36. Noah9 months ago

I think they should be named the generation diversity because of gay rights and how its great to be different

37. Jeff9 months ago

Generation World or Gen W. They game with the world on multiplayer, learn with the world on MOOCs and will compete with the rest of the world for a decent job that has a livable wage.

38. Kenneth Hammonds9 months ago

generation Z should be Generation EZ or Easy. Not because everything is easy, but the expectation of everything being easy, or trying to simplify everything from the smallest to largest of tasks. so many things are automated and more things continue to become automated. In the next ten years, who knows?

39. Drew Denson9 months ago

I think the best name for the generation after the millennials would be Generation Anthropocene. People born in 2000 and after are going to be the people who must brave through the 21st century bottleneck. Human-made climate change is the biggest part of the bottleneck. As the effects of climate change begin to make major changes to the planet global turmoil will probably follow. I can not forget to mention peak oil. If they do get through the bottleneck then I believe human potential will truly be tapped for its true potential.

40. kk9 months ago

(Hashtag) #Kids

41. Maggie10 months ago

Generation #hashtag

42. Jenni Plaster10 months ago

I read somewhere once that major events help determine generational characteristics and boundaries. For example, my Baby Boomer mom remembers the Kenedy assassination, my Gen X aunt doesn’t. I remember what life was like before 9/11, but my cousin, born in 1994 doesn’t. I think generation”?” Has been around for at least 18 years. Name them already.

43. Lady NInja10 months ago

I like the iGeneration.
    Not just for the technology they are using but also they have a I mentality.

44. Janet10 months ago

I would call them them generation “Selfies” they are constantly on the phone or taking photos to upload on facebook, Instagram or KIK.

45. Paul11 months ago

I Have heard the Millennial Generation being from 1981-1994. This next generation should be called the Digital generation. Almost everything from this next generation has been digital. Cameras, MP3 Players, Cell Phones, TV, ect.

46. Robert Burns11 months ago

I’m sorry but how do you name a generation before you know what that generation has produced? I don’t mind change too much but abandonment is another story all together and I see an abandonment of logic in that process. Can you name the next generation the Fat Head Generation because they’re sure to make the same mistakes that have been made in the past? It’s always happened correct? How about the Soulless Generation because of the lack of communication skills I see all around me? I’m 72 years old and think I belong to the Disgusted Generation; what years would that cover? NAH!

47. Civility12 months ago

The Rainbow Generation may be it. I’ve worked with kids for 30 years, and never, ever, have I have seen so many openly, comfortably gay and lesbian teens and pre-teens.

48. crystal stockton12 months ago

I think the next generation should be called Techno Tots.

49. Anon12 months ago

I think Generation i is a good name for the current young generations. Not only does it correspond with the rapid use of technology even among toddlers (I witnessed three young toddlers each on a tablet at dinner with their family) but it could also be a reference to the entitlement that comes with wider usage and availability of technology. even though it is not part of the conversation, I think a different name for millennials would be more fitting. (I’m not an expert on the matter just my opinion). Something like the last generation or the new generation (yeah I know sounds like opposites) that represents how we were essentially the last generation to be born in a pre-technology prevalent time while also growing up in the birth of the rise of technology

50. Anya1 year ago

Both of my parents were born in ’65 with an older sibling born in ’64. So technically the siblings are separate generations?

Also if the cut off date for millennials is 2000, I (born ’99) am a millennial, but my siblings (born ’01) are not? Shouldn’t we be together? Because I think I would have more in common with them than with someone born in the eighties

1. 99s10 months ago

The 80s is so natural though listen to the,music Of raggae. This article is,so practical

51. the butterfly goddess1 year ago

This new generation of people are called the generation selfies because they are two to five years of age and know how to operate cell phones, tablets, and laptops. They take pictures and i believe that that is the name. I christen them selfie generation,thanks.

1. Chris8 months ago

Unfortunately for this argument, I was born in ’84. I knew how to run a commodore 128 when it came to cartridge gaming. Not much different to pressing a button on a screen to load an app now.

52. Dré J. Foster1 year ago

Also, check these out… If you born from 1982-2000, you’re a Millenial, not Gen Z. Again, that’s fact… The others are just debating it. There is NO Gen Z people in college right now. There are still Millenials in high school. SOME sources start Gen Z in the mid 90’s but the WIDELY USED starts Gen Z in 2000 to present day. Can’t beat the MAJORITY!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss%E2…

usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/ad…

cnn.com/interactive/2011/05/livi…

marketingteacher.com/the-six-liv…

adage.com/article/special-report…

npr.org/2014/10/06/349316543/don…

53. Dré J. Foster1 year ago

theatlantic.com/national/archive…

(This should put the debate to rest. It’s all about who coined the term ‘Millenials’ first which was researchers Neil Howe and William Strauss.)

Millenials are from 1982 to 2004 (I’d say 1982 to 2000)

54. metal kidd1 year ago

Dark generation we ,I being 17, can tell that the majority of us are dark and hardened plus we’re Goth, emo, hipster, (the outcast) then the rest are preps

55. JB1 year ago

I was born in 98′
    What Generation am I considered to be?

1. Andre1 year ago

You are one of the youngest Millenials (that’s a fact). The others are just trying to debate it.

theatlantic.com/national/archive…

56. James1 year ago

After Generation X comes:

Generation Z (1995 – 2004)

then…

Generation Alpha (2004 – Current Day)

57. Lilay1 year ago

The Virtual Generation, or the Google Generation

58. Harrison Blake1 year ago

um what about gen alpha and can we concder it being 2000-2012 gen. z and after that gen. alpha not some dumb name like @gen or i gen. because thats not what this new gen. has been so far and i was born in 2000 it should be alpha beacuse so far we have had wars conflicts and many things past gens didn’t like femation with emma watson’s speech and its not being all like war on men but good and we hadterrorest groups and exc. so please dont call it igen. because it shows how you guys dont understand younger generations and i am very sorry if you get mad at me for this

59. Joe1 year ago

The iGeneration. The first generation to grow up with high-speed internet and hand-held supercomputers.

1. Chris8 months ago

I had a game boy in the early 90’s. Limited tech, but it had a camera if you bought it. Everything portable started early in the 90’s.

60. Jenn Herron1 year ago

#generation – because that is how they define and self-define. And if I were on Twitter I would be tweeting this suggestion to #nextamerica. #caseinpoint #imagenxer

61. Travis macclendon1 year ago

The “climate changers” in that they will change the climate back to what it should be.

62. angel zuniga martinez1 year ago

The “Latinials” because the majority of them will be Latinos and the rest will be influenced by Hispanic American culture. #NextAmerica

63. “Rainbow Generation”1 year ago

Has my vote. go for it.

1. Anya1 year ago

Out of all the names they offered, I also like Rainbow Gen best. The others are just plain stupid

64. marilee garfield1 year ago

I have been thinking about this for a very long time. I am a Baby Boomer, tried and true and my son was born on Oct. 28, 1997. So, he will be turning 17 late this month (Oct, 2014). My question is, is he a millenial who go up to as “old” as 33, or is he part of this Y2K generation (being born only 2 years and 2 months before the year 2000).

I really don’t know what to call them, but Y2K or the 9/11 generation would top my list. Any advice? Being a baby boomer, my whole life has been sturctured around the 86 million of us who were born between 1946 and 1964. I can tell at a glance who’s who. And several of my nephews and neices are definitively in the Millenial generation, who comprise the biggest generation after the Baby Boomers.

Yikes, but I have to find out what to call this kid, since it will shape his whole life ahead.
    Best,
    Marilee

1. Harper1 year ago

He’d be a Millennial. Not a born techie like the iGeneration. Most of us are no where near 17. It’s really 2000 up until about 2020. So no, he’s a Y/Millennial generation.
      Welcome!
      -Harper

65. Judi O’Connor1 year ago

The best description of today’s children and teens would be the Internet Generation because they are growing up in a world of internet technology.

66. selfie1 year ago

totally the selfie gen because thats the only thing that my gen has accomplished

67. Tony barber1 year ago

The entitlement generation

68. Stacy Takyi-Mensah1 year ago

Generation Z

69. Elizabeth Ripley1 year ago

Generation Spoiled because they don’t know what it’s like to live without computers and people that do everything for them

1. Stacy Takyi-Mensah1 year ago

how old are you?

70. Liz1 year ago

So these people are going to be the people who create new wars and solve them. But first it think we should stop caring about what u look like and start caring for others. ( this is from a 9th grader)

71. C.F1 year ago

I’m not particularly sure what we should be called.
    I’m disappointed by the maturity level of others my age, but they are only twelve.
    I find it disheartening and somewhat offensive that quite a few of commenters have negative thoughts on our generation (The commenter ‘Scott’ comes to mind), but I must concede to the fact that I have not gone through as many experiences as one twice my age or more has.

72. Scott1 year ago

Many names come to my mind, none of them positive.

73. Thomas Church1 year ago

Pivitals , the next generation should be the pivital generation, as bad as it is now if they don’t make it better we will not as a country come back from this ecanomical, social slide.

74. Ronnie Cozzi1 year ago

Call them Generation Less
    because they will have less.

75. Kyle Marler2 years ago

I honestly believe we should be called the “Companion Generation.” We have a strong sense of companionship and are always in communication with each other. This has to do with our technology, but we are always talking to someone. We are talking to each other during online games, through social media, or through our phones, etc. We are very team-oriented, and this can be shown in the many video games we have today, which have team objectives. We will have to rely on each other to fix this world we live in today.

1. Levi9 months ago

You are taking this vedeo thing seriosly hehehehe, when do you guys work when you communicate the whole day…

76. Bob2 years ago

I would think that since we are in the information age where kids are on tablets and I pads we could probably call it the EZ Generation. This is with no disrespect. I rember learning by imagination, heck I am writing this responce on a tablet. smart phones which can Google the answer, I say EZ Generation. I am 45 years old now and have seen and experienced everything. I have a MBA in Management with interest in Economics and have to recruit Generation X and Y for jobs.

77. RandiO2 years ago

Names of Generations [modified]:
    · The “Lost Generation” >> 1890 to 1915
    · The “Greatest Generation” >> 1916 to 1925
    · The “Silent Generation” >> 1925 to 1945
    · The “Baby Boomers >> 1946 to 1964
    · The “Generation X” (or the Gen-Xers) >> 1965 to 1980
    · The “Millennials” >> 1981 to 1995
    · The “Generation Z” (Or the “We Generation” >> 1996 to present
    Pew Research Center sponsored a contest to name the next generation after the Millennials. Names proposed include: the TwoKays or 2K’s (born after 2000), the Conflict Generation (the generation that grew up during the time of the Iraq War and War in Afghanistan), Generation i (or iGeners and iGens), @generation, the Swipe Generation, the Tweennials, and Screeners.
    Well, since the population of this Generation-Z encompass a date range spans almost 2 decades (re: as per previous generation categories), there appears to be a need to assign a new name/category for the current generation (those born circa 2010 and on forward).
    Here are some ideas:
    · The “Connected Generation” (or “GenConn”)?
    · The “Unprivate Generation” (or “Snowd-on Generation”)?
    · The “DataPoint Generation” (or “DiPGen”)?
    · The “Bummer Generation”?
    · Or the “Duped Generation”?
    · Or maybe even the “Kicked Can Generation” (or the “Dumped-On Generation”)?
    It just may be too early to tell, yet!

1. Harrison Blake1 year ago

gen alpha ?

78. Fiona Theodoredis2 years ago

I have two children that are part of this generation, and I find them to be startlingly adaptive and innovative. They are post-consumer, post-government, post-school. I was hopelessly depressed about the state of the world before my children (and all their friends) came into it. They seem to have this fearlessly fluid relationship with the world — a kind of anything goes. To label them based on the latest technology would be a big mistake — it would be like calling the boomers the TVers, or the GenXers the Phoners. Of course people think they are i-this and selfie-that, this is because they use these technologies to plug into social media, because they are hungry for connection, like every generation. But they are way more than just their devices. If anything they almost take their devices more lightly than previous generations, because devices have been around as long as they have — a given, but not definitive. I propose we call them the AughtWe’s (aught means both zero and everything), and “we” for how like one large organism this generation is due to it being so connected through social media. It’s almost like a hive mind — but also a very exuberant.

AughtWe Generation

79. Anna Q.2 years ago

“The Zentennials”

80. tramp2 years ago

the star trek generation…..when the announcements come, you will need your depends….and you will see…the star trek generation…..

81. Sherissa Microys2 years ago

I think the youngest generation will become the ‘World Generation’. They have grown up during nearly 20 years of war on the news and in our table talk. They are likely to revoke further war and will actively embrace peace. They have been over-protected by parents and are likely to turn to artists and expression. They have been exposed to great diversity and it will be second nature to them to think globally. This won’t just be a North American generation, but a world generation.

1. Jeff9 months ago

Yes, Gen W
      They game with the others in the world of their age, and will compete with the rest of the world for a decent job with a livable wage.

82. Susannah2 years ago

I like the name Homelanders.

I think there’s a certain air of resignation about post-millennials: they still hope they can change the world but they’re fully cognizant of how screwed up it is already. It’s reflected in their music and in YA literature (all the supernatural and post-apocalyptic teen novels).

83. Brian Chisholm2 years ago

This is an easy question. With the advent of the Tablet, Personal Computers, Internet, Smart Phones all being able to access the internet, the free flow of information that the next generation has at its fingertips; their name should be a no-brainer. The Information Generation. Bar none this upcoming generation has access to the information of the entire world literally at the stoke of a key or the flick of a finger. Whatever they need to research can be done in a matter of seconds; compare and contrast that with the previous generations who still remember having to use the Dewy Decimal System. Indeed even public Libraries are becoming a thing of the past, with PDF’s, and digital books so conveniently stored in our i Pads, Kindles, and Nexuses. Quite literally a library at your fingertips, to peruse at one’s own leisure. My vote. The Next Generation is indeed the Information Generation.

1. Brian Chisholm2 years ago

As a post thought this will be the first generation that is able to utilize the Internet and all its information at its present full potential. The internet is now in almost every classroom. The previous generations have given this new one a great gift. The Library of Alexandria rebuilt and easily accessible. It is an awesome gift, but carries with it an even more awesome responsibility as does the mantle of the Information Generation. It means that there can be no excuse to not research a claim. There can be no excuse for misinformation. When a lifetime’s research can be done with the click of a mouse there can be no excuses for ignorance. Only an appeal to negligence. So yes awesome name, awesome responsibility.

84. Carolyn merchant2 years ago

Dragon babies..

My wonderful grandchild of 2 is fulfilling the chinese proverbs for dragon babies. She shows amazing insight at barely 2. The children are being raised by loving and caring parents, given varied experiences and blossoming. I believe others in the age show exceptional experiences and insight. Many have involved parents. They have greatness in them.

85. Chelsea Meadows2 years ago

The Bloomer’s
    Since the boomers raised these kids to be better n have better then they did it only makes sense to name them after them. And since the boomers did do something right with these kids they should be called bloomers since they are blooming into something wonderful.

1. Emalee2 years ago

Wonderful? Chelsea I have no idea if you’re talking about America or not, but that’s wrong. The majority of the younger generation today are mindless and cannot think for themselves… sadly, I am part of this generation. The only things they care about are “swag”, “bitches”, when they get their next text message. They dont care about reading or world affairs or anything like that. Most parents don’t give a crap about what their children do. They focus too much on other people rather than themselves and idolize the wrong people, who only contribute more to the generations mindlessness and stupidity.

86. DH Sawyer2 years ago

The proper name to call them at present is “children.” Let them define their own so called “generation” if any of them choose, though I hope they find a way beyond such. The foolishness that prevails with such insignificant significance renders us all absurd for prescribing to yet more uncalled for mental consumption.

There are some things that don’t require “marketing.” Hyperbole is often the product of intellectual mediocrity, after all. Remember the nonsense of “The Greatest Generation?” How about the “Grand Baby Boomers?” All of us who are alive in this moment are, unless otherwise proclaimed, human beings from earth- living in a time that is pre-historic in its behavioral component of being human. Evolve. It’s something that we can all do together- whether as Americans or not.

87. John Muthukat2 years ago

This means mankind may enter the 22nd century as a very crippled species and will not survive another century!!!

88. Kate2 years ago

Generation XL

89. Mary2 years ago

Each generation has had their “movement” to breakaway from their parent’s tradition. I believe the youth of today have done a brilliant job of setting themselves a part in a global way. This generation is so tech-savvy and the emerging youth of this generation are looking for ways to work smarter (and not harder) combined with advancing Technology-it has spurred this generation to create a new (abbreviated) language (coding). I believe several tech terms would be a great fit – my suggestion: Generation “86” (according to netlingo it’s online jargon defined as text messaging shorthand.)

90. Jim2 years ago

The Wired Generation. They’re always plugged in.

91. shannon2 years ago

The streaming generation….what movie, which game, who said…?, where was ….. When did….the world as it is , was , will be, could be, endless streaming blogging,,tapped in

92. ASJ2 years ago

My two young children (ages 3 & 6) are part of this generation. I take issue with the derogatory comments about technology used to describe them and their friends. Despite those YouTube videos of babies swiping real books – in reality – most of the children we know have very protected media limits and digital technology use. Maybe it is just where we live or how we are raising them, but I definitely see the pendulum swinging back the other way from total digital and media saturation.

1. Kevin Yu (KRYMauL)2 years ago

Actually this generation, which both of us are apart of, is more concerned about globalization but at the age of 12 where the majority of them lie it is mindlessness. After that is all about parties and being connected, so why not call it the We Generation or the Connected Generation

93. markdiodati2 years ago

innovator

94. Michael2 years ago

I Stumbled upon this article while researching generations so i could write an essay for a grant, I myself would be classified as a Millennial if we go by age even though the later part of my generation could also be lumped into the “Post-Millennial” grouping. I do not see how you can call a whole generation basically worthless and self absorbed while the “Boomers” are the ones who raised us. Ponder that one a moment and see who is at fault it really is. If you can label the whole Generation born after lets say 1995 as worthless, then i can call the “Boomers” the worst guardians that ever lived.

95. anonymous2 years ago

Who are these “experts” because all of the below applies to the current millennial generation not the post-millennials, they weren’t impacted by 9/11 they were born or babies when it happened, and we’re currently the digital natives/selfie generation so…. ?

“Some marketers and experts have attempted to name this post-millennial generation. Suggestions include Digital Natives, Generation Like and the Selfie Generation, emphasizing this generation’s deep connection to technology; the Rainbow Generation, a nod to their diversity; and Homelanders or the 9/11 Generation, tributes to how the 9/11 attacks and war on terrorism shaped their early lives.”

96. Nitzia2 years ago

Wasted Generation.

Even though I am apart of this Young teenage world, I do not agree with the way teens are being influenced and how even adults are letting themselves be influenced by teens.

It wasn’t like this before, and I know it. My question is, What the hell happened?
    Was it the advanced technology that got us all hypnotized and addicted?

97. afterthemillennials.com2 years ago

I research this generation professionally, and have studied family and consumer trends for about 12 years. I’m surprised by the number of respondents who prefer iGeneration for two reasons:

1) Apple-i: Kids are ditching iPhones for Samsung. Hence the i-brand describes their parents more than their kids.

2) Self-i: Children growing up in the shadow of the recession are apparently MORE other-oriented than kids surveyed before the recession.

iGeneration as a moniker might have defined the generation before them, but probably not these kids as they grow older.

“Generation Transparent” maybe? Where’s their privacy anyway?

98. Damon Ogden2 years ago

Generation Rx. This generation is 500% more likely to be medicated with mind altering drugs than any other nation. This is the first generation that will be mediated at this crazy level by an out of control legal prescription pharmaceutical cultural from childhood to death.

1. Kay2 years ago

pharmacy drug sales will support you

99. Kent2 years ago

I’m surprised how many commenters have low opinions of those under 14! The comments about self-obsession, morals etc. seem like the quote attributed to Socrates about the youth of Athens. A good case can be made for a growing sense of self, however, this has been growing for four decades. In the 70’s it was popular to call the Baby boomers the “Me Generation”.

The digital native type names make more sense but the same applies to Millennials and only superficially addresses their lives. Why no TV or radio generations?

1. Kahryl2 years ago

The Gen-X er’s will be the “lost generation” once our “post millennial” children make such huge advances in technology- it will be like watching our parents trying to use a VCR for the first time!
      The negative comments about this young generation are disheartening! Their parents and grandparents are to blame by providing them with all the technology- turning them into technologic zombies. If you didn’t provide these items, we could live like cave men forever! Have you ever asked a child about what they do all day with their face in a device- it is some pretty amazing stuff.

100. Kent2 years ago

Gen-Less. They are defined by constraints that have never existed before in American history: The first generation when the birthrate dropped below the replacement rate (about 2.1 children per woman). This has profound demographic implications. America will depend on immigration for growth (the fact that many question whether population growth is desirable (environmentalist on the left and anti-immigration pseudo-conservatives on the right) is emblematic of the constraints that Gen-Less will live with). By the end of the generation, 27.3% of Americans will be first or second generation Americans; the highest level since 1940 (see Pew’s excellent “The Next America”). It is the first complete generation that in its formative years will not expect to have a higher standard of living than its parents generation (many Millennials were teens in the 90’s).

Economic/environmental/resource constraints are central to their lives and will not be discussed simply as hypothesis (e.g. is climate change manmade?) but rather how to deal with the fallout of these constraints (read last few years of GMO Group Chairman Jeremey Grantham’s quarterly letters). While Millennials may not expect much in Social Security, Gen-Less will get less.

Continuing current trends, Gen-Less will be less religious, and less affiliated with either political party (the parties have themselves to blame!). They’ll likely be the generation of less war due to financial and political constraints. Also less prejudice due to interracial marriages and familiarity with people of many backgrounds.

101. Johanna2 years ago

The Cyber Generation. iGeneration is too brand-specific to Apple products.

102. Carlos2 years ago

How about ‘Bit Generation’?

103. Phil2 years ago

How abou Digitalis?

104. Malia Miranda2 years ago

iGeneration.

Hands down. In reference to mobile devices / selfie’s / multiple social networking sights where the “i”s convey everything they are doing. It’s a way of life now.

105. David2 years ago

Generation Tech

Perfect fit that encompasses everyone in this era

106. Todd2 years ago

The way everyone here is talking, you may as well call them The Worst Generation.
    But seriously, everybody is assuming today’s young people are just going to be sitting playing on their i-phones instead of accomplishing great things. They will likely cure diseases, they’re going to overcome homophobia, they’ll invent new technologies, reverse global climate change. Either they’ll do these things, or we’ll all die. I think we greatly underestimate this next generation. It seems to me that today’s youth are far more sophisticated than we were at that age. They are much smarter, more well spoken, less naive than we were. They also feel more pressure to “save the world” from wars, hunger, disease, racism, sexism. Some day they’ll look back at us and laugh at our worthless and ineffective Gen X and Y were.

107. Catherine Nolan2 years ago

I would call them the “20firsters,” or “twenty firsters.”

108. Susannah2 years ago

I agree that iGeneration perfectly captures the combination of entitlement and technology obsession that is constantly on display by the current generation. Even the kids who are growing up without much (money, gadgets, etc.) show a remarkable sense of entitlement.

109. BEN G2 years ago

The Blue Faces.
    When you driving at night and all you see in the rear view is a blue face in your back seat lit up by the light of the smart phone.
    I think Levin had a great one – The Failure to Launch Generation.

110. Hy Davis2 years ago

I’ll name them “the .com generation”

111. Jules Maloney2 years ago

The “Doomed Generation” because the over consumption of resources by their parents and grandparents as well as the inability of global politicians/leaders to unify for our mutual survival, is leaving with them with a harsh reality and risk of collapse. A reality we all choose to ignore.

112. Hugo Martin2 years ago

The “Selfie” Generation.

It occured to me while listening to that irritating “Let me take a selfie” song that you have my have endured out of morbid curiosity.

I don’t mean to imply that this generation will neccesarily be irritating or selfish – only that the technology is increasingly making people isolated and self-involved, even to the point of looking self-infatuated. It’s all about my twitter, my instagram, constantly updating my facebook status with pictures of myself at every moment. “I take a selfie, therefore I am”

113. John2 years ago

definitely the “iGeneration”

114. Erick Daza2 years ago

The Expecting Generation, these people have no idea of what to expect as there is a huge shift in the distribution of power globally and unprecedented changes in American society

115. jerry2 years ago

text generation

1. Ambria_Red2 years ago

I ❤️ it!

Generation Next should be ‘Generation Text’!

116. Bebn Edwards2 years ago

How about the Unmoored Generation? Suspicious of most traditional ties.

117. Lonnie Evans2 years ago

In my recently published book on generational synergy, AMERICAN INTERGENUITY, I dubbed them “Generation Nano”…they will be a small generation numerically and will be known for refining digital and Nano technologies.

118. Sue B2 years ago

How about just describing their birth years — the new century — new centurions?

119. Tom Raywood2 years ago

“Appies”
    Since I expect this youngest generation to attempt to refine what the previous generation saw just partial success with, (changing the world through the use of social media), I suspect “Appies” may well turn out to prove most fitting, especially if, (as I also suspect), we witness in them a return to the ‘pre-rainbow’ fashion reminiscent of the 60’s. [Beyond that, some of the following may be as good as what others have suggested.]

“DigitalGeneration”
    captures identifying behavior in two forms, use of electronics and use of thumbs

“HeadSet”
    captures identifying behavior in two forms, obsession with ‘tunes’ and, (allegedly), self-absorption

“PostGeneration”
    —1 captures identifying behavior
    —2 implies ‘postmillenial’

“Breves” (pronounced breevz)
    —1 as an abbreviation for ‘abbreviation’ captures identifying behavior in two forms, texting and coffee consumption, as well as a third in more nuanced form (constancy with music).
    —2 plays up the fact that they are smaller in number (relatively speaking) since such a large number of the prior generation wait so long to marry (or don’t marry at all)
    —3 plays up the fact that they care less than prior generations about acquiring formal language skills (big mistake, btw, imho) since, of course, the word breves would normally be pronounced breh-vays, not breevz.

btw, the Rev. James Robinson-looking Paul Taylor was a terrific guest and quite witty himself, yes?

120. ford griffith2 years ago

the INTERNET GENERATION

121. slk2 years ago

how do you punish these people…take away their batteries!!!

122. slk2 years ago

“mostly moochers”!!! with rules and regulations, about parenting, children are growing up more like rachel canning everyday!!!

123. Linda2 years ago

Techies. They understand technology more than us baby boomers ever will.

124. Richard W Wackett2 years ago

“The Coffee Party” [doing away with “The Tea Party”]

125. Richard Dreyer2 years ago

I call it MEE generation.
    It’s all about ME and all about Entitlements.

126. Rick Wiedeman2 years ago

Gen X2. We Gen X-ers are the ones raising them, so they will reflect/flee from our values.

127. marianne caldwell2 years ago

Techno-Color
    Technology will be in every part of their lives and by 2040 the demographics will be one of color.

128. Phranque2 years ago

The Selfies

1. slk2 years ago

there’re pics circulating of 6 to 8, sitting in a restaurant, and everyone is communicating at once, with someone other then there!!!

129. Eunkyung Park2 years ago

“Digital Islanders”; they have deep connection with technology and are pretty much isolated, if not at individual level, within narrowly defined digital communities.

130. Charlie Jensen2 years ago

I suggest the “Running Dog Wage Slave” generation, the 99% who are about to lose their right to vote and be condemned to mediocre salary jobs, while the 1% assume the mantle of wealth and power not seen since the fall of the Bastille.

131. Doug2 years ago

# hashtag generation

132. Patty2 years ago

Altruists

133. miller2 years ago

“Androids”

134. Jeanne Young2 years ago

the BOOMERANGS

135. Margaret2 years ago

I call it

THE “LOST” GENERATION!

(LOST BY THEIR PARENTS, THEIR CHURCH, THEIR TEACHERS, THEIR JUDICIAL OFFICERS, AND MOST QUESTIONABLE, BY THEIR GOD????????)

(LOST FROM MANNERS, MORALS, RESPONSIBILITIES, CRITICAL THINKING SELF ESTEEM, COMMON SENSE AND SO MUCH MORE)

AS IN ALL THINGS, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS BUT THE SCALE OF LIFE IS WAY OUT OF BALANCE WITH THIS ONE.

OUR GREATEST POWER IS —— CHOICES.

1. Kent2 years ago

The generation that fought WWI is known as the Lost Generation. Considering that the oldest of this generation is 13, your criticism doesn’t make much sense – are 5 year olds on a crime spree? Also, reported crime is near an all-time low. Also, domestic abuse, hate crimes, fights, and similar crimes were reported at much lower rates the further you go back in the 20th century. You seem to hold many of the same counterfactual views as Al-Queda.

2. Kevin Yu+(KRYMauL)2 years ago

The post-millennial generations know more about the world, and for the most part grew up in fear of terrorism and constantly wanting globalization and stable economy at least that what I think, but other my age, 17-18, just drink and party like all generations did before. In essence the truth about a generation can be shown in the oldest among them meaning that the post-millennial generation is connected, but not constantly on their phones as that is the younger members, who are learning about something whether it’s how to play a video game or the definition of a word, and the older more curious generations ie the boomers and Gen-Xers who can barely understand a copy machine or how to plug in a VCR

136. Dr. Joseph B. Kennedy, Sr.2 years ago

Inter-nuts! Maybe interdicts! Net-nuts. Maybe netdicts. One thing we see now in psychotherapy is addiction beyond the control of the individual as well as beyond the help of friends and family. Produces isolation and a form of addict’s narcissism. Far more serious than thought…in my professional opinion.
    doc
    sage-usa.net

137. john2 years ago

IGENs resonates with me. It crystalizes their self centric perspective as well as their Internet focus that is replacing social interation.

138. Nick_in_Napa2 years ago

I teach this age group (6th graders). They have had access to technology since they were born. At our school, we are locked in with technology all day long. A few studies coming out on cognition and neurology research are suggesting that the so-called multi-tasking these kids are doing–checking social media, while writing an essay, while uploading a song, while liking a friend’s comment, while texting a friend, while playing their favorite game, while…–is creating cognitive dysfunction (namely the inability to focus on anything for more than a few minutes, lack of creativity, depression, obesity, the lack of communication skills, etc.).

With tongue slightly in cheek, how about Generation Stupid?

139. Jim2 years ago

Gen P
    the privileged generatio
    Privileged
    the 21st century generation

these four names or similar.
    More young people are in high level learning programs at Montessori, Day Care, Pre-school, public grade school, etc.
    In a few years it will be readily evident.

140. decaffeinated writer2 years ago

I have been pondering that question for about ten years since reading “The Fourth Turning” by Strauss and Howe in grad school. Thanks for bringing it up. For lack of a better term I have been calling these young people Homelanders. I await their official moniker.
    I do like some of the suggestions below. In a different mode, one could refer to these young people as the Pluto in Sagittarius generation 1995-2008 (now aged 19-6) with the Pluto in Capricorn generation (1995-2023) waiting in the wings, swiping and texting on their i-devices.

141. Bob Cronin2 years ago

The network generation

142. fiery gal2 years ago

cloudgen

(and for all the other suggestions out there – if you have to esplane it, it isn’t.)

143. Lily2 years ago

I enjoyed this segment of the Daily Show, and thought that “The e-Me Generation,” pretty well describes this ever-connected, ever self-absorbed generation. A couple days later, it still seems apropos. God help us all.

144. Wes Goodvin2 years ago

I call them the Grandchildren or Great-Grandchildren.

1. AC Cia1 year ago

I love your comment the best!

145. Leslie2 years ago

Generation Change

Needed change
    Short changed

146. James Singer2 years ago

Kids

147. John Stoesser2 years ago

Clearly, after receiving their inheritance from the Boomers and Gen Y: “THE DEBT SET”

148. RICHARD D.+STACY2 years ago

“THE iPHONE GENERATION”

149. Stewart2 years ago

Simple: “Post-Millennials”

1. Efren Gerard Pardilla Jr.2 years ago

150. Michael Moon2 years ago

What about the “App” generation?

151. Dale Strickland2 years ago

My suggestion for naming the next generation after Millenials is “Technoids”.
    These young people are savvy about and comfortable with all aspects of today’s technological processes. Their assimilation of it has prepared them for future advancements which will leave the rest of us far behind in terms of comprehension and utilization.

152. Roberta Wray2 years ago

Children, for goodness sake! Why do we have to name everything? Naming doesn’t accomplish anything. We name diseases, problems, syndromes, scandals, storms! Shortcuts trivialize things.

153. Sara J. McMurray2 years ago

We are talking about 12 and 13 year olds – that’s a pretty self-absorbed age for any generation! Selfies, snap-chat etc are the toys of the younger half of the Millennials and also used by the early-adopters. Discovered and used by the next group, yes, but I think the demographic is too young to be pegged by a name that describes and sums up their behavior and applies it to a group – Dr Deb your sweeping dismissal of the next generation as universally vapid and shallow is disheartening AT BEST.

1. eaasy2 years ago

I get the ill at ease with broad brush labeling. But consider this – during the 1980’s we invented digital peer to peer communication – it was never meant for selfies and the like. We invented internet portals (for economic access) – never meant to be personal billboards at a busy intersection. We invented wireless voice communication via shared resource providers – never meant to be an avenue for self admiration, isolation from other human beans, or hacking to steal your privacy and your money. I said ‘accident’ earlier for a reason. Only a rather narcissistic attitude and sufficient greed to be upset and distanced from your peers when denied the slightest want could lead to the self-interest and isolation now available. Isolation, yes – you don’t get body language, eye registration, or intent from messaging. (Hang up and go talk to people, and play your games outdoors with friends – as well as hang up and drive). This generation has tools for instant contact. It does not (by choice) have tools for commiseration, conversation, sharing, or understanding – only the recipients own take on what was said or shown. The egocentric and distanced are among us – and the outliers become shooters or suicides.
      Social networking and portals for it are a truly bad result of distorting the purpose of really good work. Just a humble opinion, been there, done that, ate the tee shirt.

154. MendoChuck2 years ago

Seems to me that the “Terminator Generation” fits well.
    For several reasons but you can all make up your own reasons.

155. clyde2 years ago

They are not the next generation, they are the text generation.

156. Frances2 years ago

My name for my 12-year-old grandchildren is “netics” generation because they can be addicted to the net.

157. David Yardley2 years ago

My 12 year-old prefers iGens

158. Jim Bullock2 years ago

The Social Media Generation.

159. Larry2 years ago

I would refer to youngsters as the most self-absorbed generation.

Go to WAR?, Who with?, Why? Wait, I got a call.

160. Heidi2 years ago

It may not matter what the name is at all: Since they follow the hulking Millennial generation they’re likely to be completely overshadowed and forgotten by demographers and researchers. Can you hear me Generation X?

161. Pat M.2 years ago

With the amount of time that my 13 year-old girls spend on their phone using apps like kik, instagram, and pinterest combined with the amount of money they spend on apps – I think Gen-App or AppGens is how would refer to them

162. Dr Deb2 years ago

Jejunes. So self-absorbed that they have no interest in anything beyond themselves, so superficial that they don’t pretend to be engaged, and so vapid that they will neither stimulate nor challenge the status quo. They wil adopt the name because they lack the industry to even bother to investigate its meaning. And they will drop the vowels and call proudly call themselves JJ’s when texting.

163. Bob Mason2 years ago

The Swipers

164. Jim Hollis2 years ago

Simply, the iPod generation

165. Pete2 years ago

The Hekowies; young folks, check out the old TV show “F Troop” and what Freddie DeCordova was really saying…

166. eaasy2 years ago

A name for the post-millenials?

Accidents

167. Guy Fuson2 years ago

The Evernet Generation – all connected, all the time.

168. Mark2 years ago

I think it’s the Me Generation. Despite trying hard as a parent to raise kids to consider the “we world” around us… there’s a great deal of negative reinforcement around kids being internally focused. Symptoms of this include “selfies” and head-phones that close-out-the-world… all to reinforce the “me” virtue.

1. Melinda Lockwood2 years ago

With you on this. MeGen for sure! They have been taught to believe that the world truly revolves around them. We could alternatively go for the SadGen as they do not seem to have the same sense of joy and excitement of previous generations.

169. Holly2 years ago

Generation Text (a play off of “Generation Next”).

Give it five years and text messages will be as dinosaur-y as flip phones, though …

170. Stowe Boyd2 years ago

the Postnormals, after the era. ‘The new normal is that there no normal anymore.’

171. Bettye2 years ago

Techyes

172. Jim Mc Connell2 years ago

The generation of young people today live, breathe and eat with their phones attached to their beings.
    I would call them The Phonetics Generation. Or GenPhons.

Not to be confused with phonics from the 70’s.

173. Kristi Baird2 years ago

I asked my 12 year old what he would name his generation. He said, “Cheeseburger!” with a grin and went back to his video game.

174. Clara2 years ago

I would name it the “mobile me” generation because they are communicating their status constantly on their mobile phones.

175. Adrian Courage2 years ago

The Cybernation? The Internation? The Virtual Generation? The Post-Facebook Generation? The Remixers? The Mash-up Generation? Something like that.

176. Athena Gray2 years ago

Do NOT call them the Rainbow Generation. That’s very disrespectful to those of us in the LGBTQ+ community, for which the rainbow is a symbol of community, safety, and visibility. Nobody gets to appropriate that.

1. Katrina2 years ago

Athena, this is tangential to the article, but I found your comment particularly interesting because I also feel strongly about this topic – but in the opposite way. While I am a staunch supporter of the LBGTQ+ community, I do have an issue with ITS appropriation of the rainbow. Starting as a young child, and throughout my life, I’ve felt a strong affection for and connection with the rainbow – perhaps symbolizing the same ideals of community and safety that you mention. And while I still use/wear/display it – without any regard for being perceived as “gay” or not – it does bother me a little bit that a symbol so beautiful and natural should be “owned” by any one group. I think the community has every right to use it, but not to claim it as their own, as if they invented the rainbow. In other words, I think the rainbow belongs in the “public domain.”

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts.

2. Melinda Lockwood2 years ago

Sorry but the rainbow has long been a symbol of goodness and hope. It is not yours exclusively.

3. clyde2 years ago

OMG – you’re right – no one gets to appropriate the rainbow – not even you!

1. Dale Strickland2 years ago

Right on! Rainbows represent new beginnings, fresh starts, optimism, a bright & shiny future. We all can share, but no one can own.

4. T2 years ago

That’s a disgusting comment. Rainbow was chosen because a rainbow shows the full spectrum. If a society identified itself as a rainbow, it would only be because the so-called movement was successful. Nothing like boxing yourself up back in your own self-made closet. Hard to advocate for inclusion when you exclude others. It can’t be a trademark–who owns it?

5. Allison10 months ago

I agree. LGBT don’t own rainbows. Everybody has rainbows.

177. Carolyn Wilson2 years ago

I would say those of us born before 1985 are not millenials, even though we are lumped into that category. we should have a different category name. Maybe the millenials group should be shifted to later dates then currently considered…

1. Haik2 years ago

Hey Carolyn, I couldn’t agree more. I’m actually writing a research paper on that very idea. Do you mind sharing more?! I’d love to hear your opinions on why you think that!