January 24, 2014

In 2014, Latinos will surpass whites as largest racial/ethnic group in California

FT_14.01.24_Latino_population_200pxAccording to California Governor Jerry Brown’s new state budget, Latinos are projected to become the largest single racial/ethnic group in the state by March of this year, making up 39% of the state’s population. That will make California only the second state, behind New Mexico, where whites are not the majority and Latinos are the plurality, meaning they are not more than half but they comprise the largest percentage of any group.

California’s demographers also project that in mid-2014, the state’s residents will be 38.8% white non-Hispanic, 13% Asian American or Pacific Islander, 5.8% black non-Hispanic, and less than 1% Native American. But the state’s demographics in 2014 are very different from what they had been. In 2000, California’s 33.9 million residents were 46.6% white non-Hispanic, 32.3% Latino, 11.1% Asian American or Pacific Islander, 6.4% black non-Hispanic and about 1% Native American. In 1990, white non-Hispanics made up more than half (57.4%) of the state’s then 29.7 million residents, while 25.4% of Californians were Latino, 9.2% were Asian American or Pacific Islander, 7.1% were black non-Hispanic and about 1% were Native American.

This 2014 demographic milestone will arrive about eight months later than the state originally expected. Last year, California’s Department of Finance demographers projected that the Latino population would match the non-Hispanic white population in size by mid-2013.

But as birth rates among Hispanics have slowed (as they have nationally for Latinos and the overall U. S. population with the recession), the state this month readjusted its projection to March 2014. When this milestone occurs, it will mark the first time since California became a state in 1850 that Latinos are the Golden State’s single largest racial or ethnic group.

With more than 14 million Hispanic residents, California has the nation’s largest Hispanic population. But only in California and New Mexico will Hispanics be the largest racial or ethnic population (in New Mexico, Hispanics make up 47% of the state’s population).

Texas may be next. According to Pew Research Center tabulations from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, in 2012 there were 10 million Latinos and 11.6 million non-Hispanic whites living in Texas, making up 38.2% and 44.4%, respectively, of the state’s 26.1 million residents. By contrast, in 2000, Latinos made up 31.9% and white non-Hispanics made up 52.4% of the state’s 20.8 million residents. These numbers indicate the Hispanic population is growing more quickly than the non-Hispanic white population—since 2000 Hispanics have made up 63.5% of the Lone Star state’s population growth.

After Texas, though, it’s unlikely any other state will follow any time soon. Florida’s 4.5 million Hispanics—the third largest Hispanic state population—make up just 23.2% of all Floridians, while white non-Hispanics make up 56.8%. In Arizona, Hispanics make up 30.2% of the state’s population, and non-Hispanic whites make up 56.9%. And in Nevada, the state’s 753,000 Hispanics make up 27.3% of the state’s population compared with white non-Hispanics’ 52.8%.

What’s the only other state where non-Hispanic whites are not the largest racial or ethnic group?  Hawaii. The Rainbow state is the only state in which Asian Americans or Pacific Islanders are the largest racial/ethnic group. Of the state’s 1.4 million residents, just 22.8% are non-Hispanic white, but nearly half (46.1%) are Asian American or Pacific Islander.

Topics: Hispanic/Latino Demographics

1. Photo of Mark Hugo Lopez

is Director of Hispanic Research, Pew Research Center.

1. Jason1 month ago

I’d like to know why Hispanics and Latinos are all lumped together? They aren’t all the same race and they don’t all come from the same culture. The largest ethnic group in California might be Hispanics but the largest racial group in California are still whites because Hispanic is not a race.

1. james4 weeks ago

bc most are mixed race and it would be too hard to put down each percent of what they are. Most are a mix of some type of native American/white and maybe a bit black. All mixes will vary in proportionate but if they are enough white to look white then they usually just call themselves white.

1. luigee2 weeks ago

Not all Hispanics are mixed. Many are actually 100% and don’t just look it. For example, Mexico’s population is about 10% pure white. Other Latin countries have higher percentages of White Hispanics. Argentina is about 97% White. It varies. If you include White Hispanics with Non-Hispanic Whites, then Whites are still the Majority by at least 5-10%

2. Nolan4 weeks ago

Wow, irony. White isn’t a race either but the gov’t still marks us as White or Hispanic.

1. David5 days ago

Exactly!

3. Charles the fifth1 week ago

In California Hispanic and Latino means the same thing.

2. Sheila1 month ago

It’s funny how Governor Jerry Brown made that statement about the population of latinos in California when he is partly responsible for them being here. By signing off on the dream act is what 100% why they are in california today. I have two questions for Jerry brown what are you doing for the native born California’s other than making them pay high taxes and paying for all of these illegal aliens education? What have you done for the veterans other than taxing their army retirement checks also to help pay for the education of illegal Aliens? When native born army retiree’s asked if state taxes can be eliminated from their checks you provided no response but yet you made sure that the Mexican and illegal aliens had the dream act. What a disgrace.

1. Cynthia Curran1 month ago

That sounds like a typical right wing response, noticed Texas doesn’t have that many more whites and conservatives like yourself like Texas. What is Rick Perry doing for the white population that is poorer, nothing In fact Florida is the most white of the states but all I here is how great Texas is.

2. Jose1 month ago

Good Job Jerry Brown keep up the good work..that’s right I love your last name (BROWN) Not white or black BROWN…

3. Rob1 month ago

How is this possible? How can PEW publish such wrong information?

Most Hispanics are of the white race, so the white population is NOT decreasing.

The Anglo ethnic whites are decreasing relative to Hispanic whites.

Come on. You guys have to know this.

1. james4 weeks ago

actually most hispanics are a mix of native american and spanish in different proprtions. If they are like 75% or more percent white they usually just put white. You would be right if you were including those also mixed with native blood as white

1. Armando3 weeks ago

Actually, most LATINOS are of differeing ethnic/racial backgrounds. Why don’t you get your information correct before perpetuating ignorance. Hispanics are ALL white. Brown and black Latinos identifying as Hispanics that are actually people of color are doing so incorrectly. Hispanics are whites from Spain and other southwest European countries, though they can also be decedents from Hispanics living in Mexico. Latinos aren’t a single race. There are black Latinos, white Latinos(Hispanics), and brown Latinos, so the information on the racial percentages of California are confusing. Hispanic and Latino aren’t interchangeable. You CAN be a Hispanic Latino but Latino doesn’t necessarily mean one is Hispanic. That being said, most non-Hispanic Latinos identify as Hispanic because they’re ignorant and aren’t aware that Hispanics are really just Spanish-speaking whites. So, the population of whites—both Hispanic and non-Hispanic—could potentially be less then Latinos of color, since they, too, incorrectly identify as Latino. Please be aware that when I say “whites” I, indeed, mean to say Euro-Americans/Anglo-Americans.

1. Armando3 weeks ago

Correction to typo: Since they, too, incorrectly identify as Hispanic**

2. luigee2 weeks ago

Yes, James isnt’ being accurate. There are indeed White Hispanics / Latinos that never mixed with blacks or native Americans. The percentage varies from country to country in Latin America. Most Americans think that Hispanics are all brown (mixed). Many are shocked that White and Black Hispanics (and some Asian) exist.

2. Luz1 day ago

Your statement is factually bankrupt. Most “Hispanics” are not white. Hispanics are the people who inhabit the so called “New World” Mexico, Central and South America and also parts of the Caribbean. I have traveled to every part of Latin America and most people in that part of the world are “mestizo” meaning mixed, some variation of Native American African, European mix. The Native Indian genetic imprint is in some countries the largest component, added with heavy African admixture in places like Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico , Honduras, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica etc. The genetic European influences are only dominant in a few countries in South America… Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay Chile etc… Most of who we see on American city streets deemed Hispanic are Native American peoples with specs of Spanish blood, especially from Mexico. And even many Mexicans are ” “zambos” black and Indian mixed. I am Mexican and in my own family like in many Mexican families I have cousins who look black American as well as Indian and some even white. We are New World people like many African Americans who when they do their DNA find that they are African, Indian and white. We are brown, from dark to light brown in most cases and I think like many white Americans you are afraid of the “BROWNING “of this country. Hence your need to rush and place us in the WHITE BOX. Fear creates distortion and your post is a perfect example of this fact.

4. papa mike2 months ago

I know and am friends with quite a lot of Hispanics. And it’s safe to say that I really enjoy being around them. It’s always a fun time. They’re so laid back and friendly. They do like to cut-up and have a good time poking fun at each other, which is fun to watch.

It doesn’t bother me (as if my opinion counts) that the kids are reunited with their families. Keep out the gang bangers though.

5. Angie2 months ago

Funny, no one complaints about the millions, yes millions of illegal British, Canadians and Germans who live in Florida and are illegally employed at restaurants or Germans who own business in Florida and do not pay taxes. This does hurt our economy.

Should I go on? How about Chinese women in Brooklyn who are brought here illegally and have to pay back by selling movies, CD’s and counterfeits on the streets in order to pay their trip and room and board where they sleep on the floor along with twenty other women.

1. Johannes Schippers2 months ago

Believe it or not, you barely see any europeans and if you do, theyre tourists. ALL you see are Hispanics.
      I don’t want to be racist, cuz i do have many hispanic friends and i like them and I am white.

2. Cynthia Curran1 month ago

True, but Texas has more people employed here illegality than Florida but few on the right are honest. They just use California all the time. Here’s the population estimates of illegal immigrant in each state,California I think actually lost some since the birth rates are dropping its probably around 2.5 million , Texas is second with 1.7 million and Florida is only 700,000.

6. Charles Grapes2 months ago

At what point will it be required that all native born Americans (white and black) learn to speak, read nd write Spanish?

1. Trail2 months ago

That will happen after 218 members of the House of Representatives AND 51 Senators pass a bill requiring spanish fluency, AND it is signed by the sitting President, AND is held as Constitutional by the US Supreme Court. This is 6th grade civics, and we are ostensibly grown ups who, despite paranoid rhetoric and ignorant talk radio, know exactly what it takes before some oppressive law is forced upon everyone.
      Here is a review:
      google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&#…

1. Sheila1 month ago

Yeah right you tell me what 40-60 year old need learn Spanish at this late game? You have to learn this language when you are young

2. Sheila1 month ago

Never the United States is a English speaking country they don’t have to if I went to Mexico or any other foreign national country I would have to learn your language. The america people are smart they would not come to your home and claim it, they will come with money, to help them survive until they can get a job, or own a business. But do you really think that Mexico going to allow black and white people to own businesses there? Will Mexico have free programs set up and pay there taxes for our children to get an education? I don’t think so.

1. Armando3 weeks ago

Black and white people DO own buisnesses in Mexico, because black Latinos and white Latinos actually exist.. People don’t seem to understand that Mexico is as much a melting pot as the U.S., with African, European, Asian, and indigenous people living there. And yes, Mexico does have programmes that help those in need. Keep in mind the lower-class primarily consists of indigenous, mixed, and African Latinos.

7. Pinoche2 months ago

Looking white and being genetically white are two different things. I’m black and have mixed ancestry, as do most black Americans.That is why we come in a variety of skin colors, hair textures, hair colors, eye colors, facial features, and body structures.We are the products of MGM (Multi-Generational Miscengination).

1. Sheila1 month ago

I agree

2. Sheila1 month ago

I agree with you I am black with mixed ancestory

8. Jack3 months ago

what about latinos who are white (of european descent)??

not all hispanics/latinos are mestizos

1. nicole accardi3 months ago

hispanics are considered white racially, only ethnically are they considered hispanic.

2. john sacramento2 months ago

In North America Hispanics, in my experience, are typically considered “honorary” Caucasians. Racially they are mostly of Indian (Native American} ancestry.

The Conquistadors came as solders is search of gold and silver to ship back to Spain, and priests seeking to expand the realm of the (Catholic) Church. Soldiers and (Catholic) priests didn’t leave many decedents.

Mexicans of European ancestry are most often of Italian ancestry–descended from the large number of immigrants who fled Italian poverty for the Americas. They arrived in Mexico (and the United States) toward the end of the 19th century {late 1800′s} and the start of the 20th century (early 1900′s}. Also, many shop keepers in northern Mexico, although culturally Mexican, are actually of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.

1. Angie4 weeks ago

Throughout history many Europeans went to Mexico not just Italians. A small amount of Italians, Germans, and etc settled in Mexico when comparing the amounts to the Spaniards amounts. Spaniards were the majority of Europeans to settle in Mexico.

On a different note, just because an American is tired of spending their hard earned dollars on caring for illegals (All illegals…brown, yellow, white and whatever else there might be) doesn’t mean they are a “right winged”. That is a term invented by media, politicians and god knows who else. The majority of these people are average Joe’s of all races and all backgrounds. We work hard for a moderate pay, we love our country and what it stands for. We grew tired of not being heard and started to speak out. Now we are labeled. You are labeling the core of America.
        I can barely make ends meet , yet the government spends money without any concerns for the tax payers.

Also, If you want to live in America, do it the way my grandparents did. They waited in line, went through the process, and they never took a dime from the tax payers. Yes America welcomes all, but you must come through the front door not sneak in from the sidelines.

1. BABYDOLLVPLOCAS2 weeks ago

VERY WELL PUT. I AM HALF MEXICAN, A QUARTER NATIVE AMERICAN, AND A QUARTER GERMAN. {YEAH I KNOW WEIRD MIX} BUT ABOVE ALL, I AM AMERICAN. I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID.

1. Richard Barragan2 weeks ago

I consider myself a typical Mexican . I am 30 percent spanish 31 percent Native American 27 percent Italian and I or 2 percent Eng,lebon,Jew,fin and Island Boy. I have 14 brothers and seesters and we all have Rosary Beads hanging in our cars ! I also have a German/Irish wife that I have been with since 1989.

2. luigee2 weeks ago

I agree with Angie… Mexico had a huge influx of Spanish, Italians, Germans, and Irish and that immigration to Mexico started way before the 19th century. My Father is White Mexican with Blonds and Redheads in the family. About 10% of Mexico is racially White. About 80% is Mestizo, and 10% Native American.

Other countries in Latin America have higher percentages of racially Whites with Argentina being 97% White.

3. Charles the+fifth1 week ago

Lol! Caucasian mexican are mostly descended from colonist that came during th colonia era . Italian/ mexican number a few thousand only.

3. Sheila1 month ago

I don’t believe any of that

4. Sheila1 month ago

They are not of white decent unless the mother is married to a white man and even then they are an mixed decent not fully white. Europeans to me are very fair colored Mexicans, Italians, people from Central America etc are very brown skinned whites cannot get that brown tan without sun tan lotion so Mexicans Latinos are not white and they will tell you in a minute they are Latino.

1. Charles the+fifth1 week ago

I think your confusing the term “white” with “Nordic”.

9. jo4 months ago

I’m curious if these statistics came from actual legal citizenship or if the immigrants are taken into consideration as well.

I have no issues with the growing mexican population, but my concern is that fact that I am a California native, tax paying citizen, with no dependents, going to college to better myself, and am denied all benefits that my country created specifically for supporting its loyal american citizen.

I pay taxes, I work, I am legitimately from this country and am struggling to keep my head above water in this economy. According to the federal government, I don’t work enough to receive the benefits I indirectly pay for, the benifits illegal imigrants of all nationality get to use when they have children.

Referendum; once was loyal american citizen.
    F this country I’m moving to Europe.

1. Gitanea3 months ago

Jo- I understand your issue as it is very similar to Florida, and this site is off by about 10 million in Florida alone. I do have very bad news for you as far as Europe goes, please do your research because Europe, the entire Europe is now in shambles because of the same thing exact thing only different cultures. The first country to go was Greece, then Sweden and the UK and down the list. 48% of UK residents want to leave. chaoticness.com/will-civil-war-b…

This is not about racism, this is about no assimilation. I understand the sentiment of many that say, we are all immigrants ect ect, but those that never lived in the 3rd world will never understand how the cultures differ. We are in trouble now and each year gets worse.

10. Sam4 months ago

We are all Americans. Being American is not about race or ancestry. It is something that dwells in our hearts. It is something that draws people from all corners of the earth. It is the hope of freedom. This is what unites us. We are not united by race but by spirit. We are the United States of America. All that live in this nation are our brothers and sisters and our neighbors and our fellow countrymen without exception. We must live together. We must laugh together. We must mourn together. The color of skin and the accent of a voice are such petty things to use as tools of exclusion. Is your blood red? Is your heart filled with longing for peace, love, and joy? You are like me!

1. MikeO4 months ago

Yeah sure. Except Americans don’t boo the American flag and the National anthem like was done in L.A. a while back. Latinos notoriously have more babies than they can afford and expect the taxpayer to pay for them. It’s the same formula in EVERY Central and South American country. Imploded economically by people continuing to have kids they can’t afford. Don’t think it will happen in the US? It already is. 1 out of every 2 Latino children in the US in on Medicaid. HALF of all births are paid by Medicaid. Who do you think is going to pay to raise that child? The parents? If you want to see where the US is headed economically, just look at any Central of South American country. A two class system full of corruption, gangs and mass slums.

1. Angie2 months ago

I’ve live in Europe and I have lived in South America and I’m not aware of any country in South America that has a similar welfare system as the States.
        If you are referring to the recent soccer match, they were Mexican-Americans who booed which does make up for the whole Hispanic population.
        According to the department of Commerce 15.7% of Hispanics are recipients of welfare while 38.8 are whites.
        By the way, illegal children do not get a free education or did you think the landlord did not prorate school tax into their rent?
        I wonder where you got your information.

2. Sheila1 month ago

I agree with you 100%

3. Cynthia Curran1 month ago

Yes, but La kids population is dropping while Houston and Dallas kids populations are increasing and both Houston and Dallas have been known to also have high Hispanic immigrant populations. a County US Census 23.2 undser 18 and under and Houston.Harris County about 27.7 under the age of 18 and under. Latin Immigration increasing in Harris County Texass and deceasing in LA County from birth rate stats.

4. Sheila3 weeks ago

Mike agree with you 100%

5. BABYDOLLVPLOCAS2 weeks ago

UUHH HELLO! IVE SEEN JUST AS MUCH WHITE AND BLACK PEOPLE IN THE LINES AT THE WELFARE OFFICES. LATINOS CANT HELP IT IF THEY ARE THE RACE OF LOVE.

11. Rick4 months ago

Not for long. Asians will surpass everyone. Here in San Gabriel there are birth hotels that’s cater to Asians because of the one child rule in china. Google it. Also not illegal

1. David3 months ago

Rick, one thing you don’t understand is that these Chinese are upper class and care about the education and well being of their kids. The today’s reality in China is that most young people cannot afford to raise more kids, unlike in US, the government or society will take the responsibility for raising the kids.

12. Kelly Titus5 months ago

The reason for the Hispanic population jump is because the census does not require legal documentation for their count to be valid. The illegal individuals from a foreign country are given all that I have worked my whole life to build for free. Welfare,Wic,Food stamps…Yes FOOD STAMPS, Cal Fresh really?,section 8 compensation to supplement rent, Free health insurance, free breakfast and lunch in school, an incentive to have children they can’t afford as free benifits increase. The Democrats have to pay people to get votes with freebies as they have no logical ideas ,everything is a giveaway. This has become such a huge problem that the republicans have to subvert their own platform and bow to the ever increasing minority and ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT FELONS . When the money runs out,and it will. inner city riots will ensue because some families have been on the freebie train for generations and think they entitled and everything should be free… The tipping point is just around the corner.

1. black Diamond4 months ago

NO Kelly The CONSTITUTION requires an enumeration of all residents. Even though there are undocumented people in congressional Districts that are not citizens, they are counted and included in the maximum number of people in that district. So ALL people are represented in the district

2. Anonimus4 months ago

you work for that?

13. Paul Martel Neuhausen5 months ago

I am a native Los Angeleno, my Naturalized U.S. Citizen wife is from Peru and our daughter is now a 5th generation Californian. My Spanish is good and my wife has helped me to improve it with her Castellano-influenced New World dialect. We eat mainly beans, rice, vegetables at home (and break down for Pizza sometimes. My European background was mainly Black Irish and L.A. is a lot like Spain so in some I am really Hispanic now.

14. Pepemagno6 months ago

It is only only logical that the so-called “White” culture, or “Anglo” culture will eventually disappear in America and in Texas. Why? It is obvious: all cultures that exclude vanish, while all cultures that include grow. Now, the cultural term “White” or “Anglo” excludes any not considered “Anglo”, thus excluding those considered Black, Mulatto, Indian, Asian, Hispanic, etc. In contrast, the cultural tern “Hispanic” includes anyone deemed Hispanic by culture, ancestry or even just the family name, whether they are White, Black, Mulatto, Mestizo, or whatever. It is only a logical result.

1. Mark Pugner5 months ago

I didn’t realize this was a competition. If domination is your goal, there are 1.3 billion Chinese and 1.2 billion Indians who couldn’t care less about this “milestone”.

2. Calo Chicano5 months ago

“Anglo” culture or the English language will never vanish in America or in the world. There are 1.2 billion Indians and in the next 10 years or so, India will have the largest population. What’s the language that unites India? ENGLISH!! The USA has a large and successful Indian population and that population is bound to grow. Most Blacks and
      Asians in the USA speak English and guess what? ASIANS ARE THE FASTEST GROWING ETHNIC GROUP IN AMERICA, NOT LATINOS/HISPANICS

1. Sheila1 month ago

Look at the demographics it’s not Asians it’s hispanics

3. aksjl3 months ago

As an American the first time I heard someone referred to as a Mulatto, the person who bothered to make the distinction was Guatemalan. I had no idea what Mulatto meant. And I am white! Also, Black Americans do not speak two languages. They only speak English in America, so English is here to stay.

1. Sheila1 month ago

That’s right I am a black native born california

4. aksjl3 months ago

Also, not only am I a white Anglo American, but my cousins are half-Black Americans and my other cousins are half Chinese… You are mistaken about Americans excluding other Americans based on their race.

5. aksjl3 months ago

Pepemagno you are incorrect about when Anglo is used. Not all White people are Anglo. Italian white people are not Anglos. Anglo is Anglo Saxon, which is not Italian, not Romanian, not Greek, not Bulgarian, not Armenian, not Russian.

Not all White people are Anglos, however Anglos are always White.

6. aksjl3 months ago

Your definition of Hispanic is akin to our definition of American. All Americans are one of us, no matter their race. All other nationalities are not Americans.

15. Guirao7 months ago

As an Ethnic group yes. Hispanic has surpassed Whites in California, but racially no. There are Hispanics of entirely European Origins

1. Mexican American6 months ago

Most Latinos are of Native American and European descent. Mexicans, of which make up 66% of the American-Hispanic populace are overwhelmingly Mestizo, with a significant minority of purely Native American people, and a very small minority of purely European descendants. Whites only predominate in Argentina and Cuba.

1. Calo Chicano5 months ago

Yet, when I watch television programs from Latin America, such as “telenovelas,” most of the people I see look very “white” or “European.”

1. MikeO4 months ago

That’s because those are the only people they will hire. Pretty much all cultures from Latino to Asian….the fair skinned people are the most admired. So that’s who ends up on the TV.

1. aksjl3 months ago

America is not like that anymore. We welcome diversity. The same can not be said about Mexico and the rest of Central America.

2. MiaGioia3 months ago

American isn’t like that anymore?

BWAHAHAHA. Okay. if you say

2. Pinoche2 months ago

3. Sheila1 month ago

Not for long once the dream act is gone so are the Latinos from Texas and Mexico. Isn’t this the real reason why they are here because of this benefit and they know california business men will hire them in a heart beat because of cheap labor.

2. aksjl3 months ago

Americans are any and every race imaginable in an infinitely varied admixture of race, ethnicity and ancestral origin. What defines us is our culture. American culture is what makes us American. Fixating on white is something most White Americans do not do. Most White Americans are actually mixed with so many things, including Native American, Black and Asian, that we don’t even know what we are anymore.

1. MiaGioia3 months ago

Oh, how cute. The white person doesn’t realize his unearned privilege.

How quaint. And sadly typical!

3. luigee2 weeks ago

Mexico is about 10% White…

2. Sheila1 month ago

1. Richard Barragan2 weeks ago

I am a contractor/developer and pay very well and when I am hurting for for back breaking labor they are right there and I hire them because they work ! I also spent 9 months in New Orleans and we had some good paying construction jobs that were hard to feel half of the time . The whole rebuild of New Orleans couldn’t have been done without these workers from south of the Border !