April 14, 2015

6 facts about marijuana

Attitudes about marijuana have undergone a rapid shift in public opinion, paralleled by few other trends in the U.S. Our recent data, along with historical figures from Gallup and the General Social Survey, reveal how views have shifted about the drug over time. Our most recent survey, conducted in March 2015, finds that many more Americans now favor shifting the focus of the nation’s overall drug policy. Here are six key facts about public opinion and marijuana:

FT_15.04.14_marijuanaLegalization1Support for marijuana legalization is rapidly outpacing oppositionA slim majority (53%) of Americans say the drug should be made legal, compared with 44% who want it to be illegal. Opinions have changed drastically since 1969, when Gallup first asked the question and found that just 12% favored legalizing marijuana use. Much of the change in opinion has occurred over the past few years — support rose 11 points between 2010 and 2013 (although it has remained relatively unchanged since then).

FT_15.04.14_marijuanaGeneration2Not all groups support legalization. Only about four-in-ten Republicans (39%) do. While most non-Hispanic whites and blacks say marijuana should be made legal, only 40% of Hispanics share that view. Among generations, 68% of Millennials say marijuana should be legal while only 29% of the Silent Generation (those 70 to 87) share that view. Baby Boomers, who were the most supportive generation in the 1970s before becoming opponents during the “Just Say No” 1980s, are now about as likely to favor (50%) as oppose (47%) legalization.

FT_15.04.14_marijuanaPublicUse_v23About seven-in-ten (69%) Americans believe alcohol is more harmful to a person’s health than marijuana while 15% pick marijuana as worse (14% say both or neither), according to a February 2014 Pew Research survey. If marijuana became as widely available as alcohol, 63% still believe alcohol would be more harmful to society.

4While support for legalizing marijuana has grown, 62% of Americans would be bothered if people did their smoking in public even if marijuana were legal. On the other hand, 57% say they would not be bothered if a store or business selling legal marijuana opened up in their neighborhood. And just 15% say they would be bothered if people used legal marijuana in their own homes.

5Nearly half (49%) of Americans say they have tried marijuana, and 12% in the past year, which the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health says is the most commonly used illicit drug in the U.S. The government survey showed that 18.9 million Americans 12 or older (7.3%) had used marijuana in the prior month.

Marijuana Laws in 50 States6Four states – Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska – and the District of Columbia have passed measures to legalize marijuana use, while an additional 14 states have decriminalized certain amounts of marijuana possession. Including those five locations, nearly half of U.S. states (23 plus D.C.) allow medical marijuana.

Note: An earlier version of this post was published in November 2014. It has been updated to include March 2015 survey data.

Category: 5 Facts

Topics: Domestic Affairs and Policy, Drugs

1. is a research analyst focusing on U.S. politics and policy at Pew Research Center.

1. Bryant carter6 days ago

weed is one of the things God gave us is a plant I would let my kids smoke once they’re older thin 19

2. chris2 weeks ago

bre weed isant good for you if you do it day in day out. every other day with good diet and excercise. weed really isant a problem.

3. marie2 weeks ago

If alcohol is legal marijuana should be too honestly.

1. Logan2 weeks ago

Agreed.

2. Cjmacintosh4 hours ago

Right , how american doing with Alcohol , let’s just add another vice !

4. Ronald Deziel4 weeks ago

I wish you would survey people to see if they appreciate the difference between legalization and decriminalization; to see if people would support decriminalization over legalization, or decriminalization as well as legalization. Legalization does not automatically include decriminalization.

5. Temogo4 weeks ago

smoke is dangerous to you health aspecially when you are still young lets be aware guys

1. Kevin Silva1 week ago

and lets also be aware that alcohol can give u brain damage and can lead you to death so what do you mean by being “aware”

6. Dallas Duff4 weeks ago

A few points to consider in your arguments…

1. marijuana is not hard to get. Anyone who wants it can get it already.
    2. Most users of hard drugs likely started with marijuana because it so much more widely accessible with about half of the population having tried it and is much more sociable than other drugs.
    3. Just because most users of cocaine started with weed doesn’t mean that most people who smoke weed go on to cocaine. In fact the statistics show this is overwhelmingly not the case.
    4. Even more than weed, hard drug users admit to first drinking alcohol.
    5. It’s logical that a certain percentage of people who are into getting high will try different kinds of highs. It doesn’t mean marijuana is a causal agent in people doing harder drugs. If we didn’t have marijuana it would just be something else for those who are wanting to get a high. It’s simply the first high for most people because you’re more likely to come in contact with it and at an early.

7. Van W. Cottom1 month ago

I am not a user, but have no problem with others as long as control and taxation is in place. Just like with alcohol, controls as to quantity and quality. I do believe Genesis 1:30 includes marijuana.

1. Cjmacintosh4 hours ago

But if your experiment live and let live with marijuana turns out to be wrong and my taxes have to foot the bill for your medical bills the rest of your life like were doing with cigarettes ! What you thought was Your rights are now my problem !

8. Ronald Larsen1 month ago

Major changes take place over time, like eating an elephant one bite at a time. I believe legalizing marijuana is just a first step to legalizing other drugs. Approximately 85% of illegal drug users started with marijuana. Where do we go from here; stoners at work, that will be fun. How about every other car driver being a stoner. Driving DUI will become one more excuse why people will not take responsibility for their lives.

1. Average Joe2 weeks ago

“I believe legalizing marijuana is just a first step to legalizing other drugs.”

Not necessarily, Marijuana will be legalized based on it’s medical applications and the lack of physical addiction [mental addiction is still prevalent, just not as much as other drugs. You can get addicted to donuts too]. Also Marijuana is not harmful physically, other drugs are.

“Approximately 85% of illegal drug users started with marijuana.”

Great statistic, I’m just not sure the prevalence of it. Is it implying, 85% of [hard] illegal drug users started with Marijuana? If so, this is implying Marijuana is a gateway drug.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug. Prohibition is the only gateway aspect of Marijuana. If I go pick some bud up from a dealer and he is slinging LSD/Coke, he may offer me LSD/Coke. If Marijuana was legal, the guy behind the counter at the dispensary is not going to offer me LSD/Coke. So prohibition is the reason Marijuana is considered a Gateway drug.

Or is it implying 85% of [all] drug users start with Marijuana? If so, this doesn’t mean anything, because the majority of drug users smoke Marijuana, meaning I might have smoked pot first [because it is easier to find], but I may not ever do any other drug. If it is implying this then it is a useless statistic.

“Where do we go from here; stoners at work, that will be fun.”
      This is a lack of education and research on your part, sorry if that is offensive. The term stoner implies a lazy person. If you know anything about Marijuana, you would know there are 2 [main] types of Marijuana: Sativa and Indica. Indica is the strain you would smoke at night or on your day off when you plan to relax. It is Indica that gives the “lazy” feeling, because Indica is meant for night time, not morning. Sativa is the strain that energizes the user. In many cases [depending on the specific strain], Sativa can be compared to coffee. It makes the user more motivated, energetic and alert. It also makes the user happier, which in turn equals less stress [boy could we all do without stress].

The problem with “stoners at work” is prohibition. With prohibition the Government decided to assume no one would smoke [wrong]. What the Government should have done [and should do now/when Marijuana is legalized] is educate citizens on the types of Marijuana. An educated user is not going to smoke the Indica strain prior to working. He/She would understand the downsides of this. The lack of Marijuana education is the main problem with the “stereotypical stoner”.

“Driving DUI will become one more excuse why people will not take responsibility for their lives.”
      Millions of Americans drink, they do not all drive. This problem can be fixed with strict regulations on driving under the influence. Educating the users on Marijuana will prevent many respectable people from getting behind the wheel.

My Point: Prohibition is the reason Marijuana has negative effects on the users and those around them.

My Question: Why can a citizen in Colorado smoke recreation Marijuana when I cannot? Am I not a citizen too, am I not created equal as the user in Colorado?

Stop the violence, stop the corruption, bring happiness. Legalize Marijuana.

How does me smoking Marijuana in my home harm others?

The Constitution states that all citizens are entitled to their Unalienable Rights. Unalienable Rights are rights given by the Creator, these rights cannot be taken by man.
      They include, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Well I’ve been smoking Marijuana since I was 12 [I’m a Junior in college (3.5 GPA :O of man pot kills your brain)]. Marijuana is a large part of my life, I use Marijuana for spiritual purposes, to reduce stress and anxiety, to increase my awareness and more importantly for happiness.

Prohibition on Marijuana is a direct violation of every citizen’s rights. Prohibition makes me feel less of a human. I cannot be myself, I feel trapped, I feel like property. Man is [trying] to take away ALL 3 Unalienable Rights by prohibiting Marijuana.

Life, because I’ve smoked Marijuana for almost half of my life. Without Marijuana I would have succumb to the depression placed upon me by society. Marijuana is my life.

Liberty, because innocent men and women are placed in prison. For what? Smoking a plant. “Oh, that’s okay though, they were a burden to society.” Many held respectable jobs before their conviction. They supported their family, they smoked and were happy. We imprison millions of people yearly, because they are happy.

Pursuit of Happiness, because lets be frank, Marijuana brings happiness to the smoker. Personally I’ve smoked for 8 years, I’ve been happy every single day I’ve smoked Marijuana. My Pursuit of Happiness is to simply be able to smoke a flower.

Stop the unnecessary funding for the War on Drugs [which was declared by a President that was impeached].

Change the world, 1 vote at a time.

9. William Mattingly1 month ago

I was a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Narcotics from 1955 to 1973, when we became the Drug Enforcement Adm. (DEA). I retired from DEA in 1975. I worked in Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and L.A. I served as Agent in charge in Nashville and Pittsburgh, and as Group Supervisor in L.A. I’ve spoken with hundreds of heroin addicts and every one told me that he/she started not on heroin but on marihuana. They all stated that they started on pot; became curious about the high that heroin may give them; then went on to try and later become addicted to heroin. Not a one heroin junkie started on heroin alone. This legalization of marihuana will lead to the further decline of the USA IMHO.

1. Vicki1 month ago

I am the Coroner in a community of approx. 33,000, mostly rural farm, but accessible to a major city within 25 minutes drive ……99% of the families that have lost loved ones to overdoses will state marijuana was the start, leading to addiction down the road…poly pharmacy and/or heroin.
      We are kidding ourselves as to the long term consequences of legalizing marijuana for medical/ recreational use. Marijuana is and has been in pill form to dispense for medical purposes…….. It’s ALL about the money folks!

2. Charles Bradley Quillen4 weeks ago

What is the role of the federal government? Is it to protect the rights of the people to liberty and self rule? Or is it to rule the people, regardless of whether they agree with or consent to that rule? It is becoming clear that Americans are slowly turning their backs on the drug war. If the public does not want it to continue, and the government continues to impose it…well, that is not democracy, that is tyranny. This drug war hasn’t controlled drug use or availability, and it has generated gang warfare on a scale many times that of alcohol prohibition. It’s a failure, and it’s time to try something different. BTW, your anecdote about IV drug users starting with marijuana means nothing. Correlation is not causation. That pot smokers invariably progress to injection drug use is ludicrous. I know many highly educated, functional, intelligent professionals who have smoked cannabis for years. OUR LAST TWO PRESIDENTS ADMITTED A HISTORY OF MARIJUANA USE. Given this, how is continuing the drug war anything more than the height of hypocrisy? How in the hell would locking these people up in cages provide a benefit to anyone who is not employed by the drug war industry? What the legalization of marijuana will lead to is a society where people are locked in cages for imaginary crimes.

3. RyanR1 week ago

William, with all do respect, that is why there is now the majority of people advocating for its legalization- because people are figuring out how untrue your statement is and how baseless and non factual it is. I don’t smoke marijuana at all but if alcohol is legal, so should be this plant. Let’s just be consistent in all of this. Alcohol will continue to kill 1000 times the amount that weed, coke, and heroin ever will. Also, the bulk of DEA agents push paper around and don’t peer into the circumstances in real time. Are you saying that every heroin addict you came across, you looked into their personal history and found they smoked marijuana?? Is this even a real study?? Lol. Highly doubtful I would bet…

4. Anonymous3 days ago

Ask any one of them whether they drank water before starting their heroin use, and their answer will be the same. Can we not in the same sense reason that water is a gateway drug, a substance which leads to heroin use?

10. Keith Trawick1 month ago

I am unsure of the effect “stoned driving” would have on public safety. If this was mentioned in the current article, I missed it.

11. Cheech1 month ago

The first fact is just so redundant it is almost not even worth mentioning. Let’s see, if the rate of people who support one of two options is going up, there is no way the other one could be traveling in the inverse direction! Seriously this is a fact posted by Pew? Come on, step it up.

And for those trolls who will say there is a third option to be indifferent, yes I understand. However that population never seems to be larger than 8% of the total survey across the whole graph so with it remaining relatively constant, the rates of the other two should be just next to dead on inverses.

12. Seniors MMJ Network1 month ago

Thank you for conducting the research and offering it in an easily digestible format. We work with Seniors and yes, there does appear to be a fading stigma to medical marijuana consumption but there are indeed generational differences.

13. Jourdon1 month ago

They need to legal marijuana it helps people it will decrease drug dealers and other drugs if we can get it legal then we won’t have a drug dealer offering and introduceing other drugs it is safer than alcohol and cigs we need to stand up to them and get it legalized for LA and every other state in USA but I can’t do it alone

14. Dave2 months ago

The debate doesn’t matter because regardless of any pending or published data which is available its all about justification. So if one want’s to legalize Delta 9 Tetra Hydra Canabanol (THC),then one will justify it. So words like “mind altering substance” and psychoactive are really irrelevant nuisance words. Enjoy!!

1. Jim1 month ago

Well Dave, you probably used a “mind altering drug” today.
      Did you enjoy your coffee/coke/energy drink ? Why ?

15. jomi2 months ago

I think weed is great. but I live in south Carolina and I really really really think it should be legalized here …

16. John Melrose2 months ago

The numbers are rising and as people get better informed they (#s) will continue to grow. We are waking up. Research is revealing new truths and at the same time revealing lies. Why were we sold the “reefer madness” line when it could only have been known to be a lie? Money? Yes. Control? Yes. So much harder to control those who don’t necessarily buy into the established “truths” created by those who seek to control.

17. seth2 months ago

people need it because it can help them survive threw stuff

18. jemmy3 months ago

pot is bad for you

1. teresa1 month ago

it helps more then it kills

1. ayden2 weeks ago

Yeah but how many do it, or steal it or even kill for it? No drug is good to use without being used for medical use and even then it can still be abused.

19. Cooler3 months ago

I Think it should be because alcohol is more deadly

20. Rob3 months ago

Smoked all through college, had over a 3.0 GPA at a Top 100 University. Now that I am out of school I still smoke everyday and still manage to workout, work 60+ hours each week, am learning Arabic, and still find time to volunteer. What do you Prohibitionists do with your time?

1. Katie3 months ago

I support decriminalization of marijuana, but unless you have a bachelor’s in Engineering, Rob, a 3.0 GPA at the undergrad level isn’t very good, unless you attended Reed College, Swarthmore, or University of Chicago.

So you’re kind of hurting the cause if you think a 3.0 at a Top 100 is meaningful. You probably could have done better.

1. Adam3 months ago

You’re kind of pathetic if you believe that getting all B’s in college isn’t an accomplishment. And if this is the only argument you have against the legalization of cannabis and don’t know the facts such as Colorado gaining over 40 million in tax revenue within the first five months of legalization, then you need to highly consider doing some research. You would also find that crime rate went down significantly in Colorado; So why not legalize? Care to retort?

2. Jay and Silent Bob2 months ago

Uhhhm Katie, He said he had over (>) a 3.0. 3.0 is B. So he was a high-B student. No Pun Intended. Which is good. Better than most students. And college is college wherever you go, it is going to require responsibilities and a workload of school work. Just because someone goes to UChicago does not make them brighter or smarter than someone who goes to a state funded school. It is what you make of those college experiences and what you do after that counts. Plus, GPA only measures test taking skills and ability to memorize material. If someone gets a 2.2 GPA that does not mean they can’t sing, draw, create, or inspire others. Just as if someone gets a 3.9 GPA does not mean they are going to solve world hunger and obesity. Considering Rob today volunteers, works a lot of hours, is making time for learning a new skill (Arabic) and still smokes – he probably had a similar lifestyle in college. Clubs, co and extra curricular activities, community service, sports, whatever it may be. So that on top of a 3.0+ is fairly impressive. You go Rob. And you too Katie. You both Rock. I am so high right now. But I love you both. Keep on keepin’ on! :)

2. Deb3 months ago

I guess you are one of the super lucky people who can. Unfortunately I have seen the other side of it w people I know and care about . I have seen the effects of tired, no motovation for life, work, nothing!!! I really think it all depends on your brain chemistry. And of couse what kind if weed you are smoking. I know people who feel they need it for anxieties but when it makes you dead to the world nothing matters.
      I have very mixed feelings. I am a cancer survivor and have seen where it has helped many people. I also think it is great they have made the Liquid form with the new Pot Charlottes ? It is the one that helps children with seizures. I guess with any med, drug people are affected differently and it just depends on the individual whether they can handle it or not.

1. bing2 months ago

The people u speak of r weak minded with no work ethic that’s all pampered and looking for an excuse . I no many people business owners teachers cops american soilders we all smoke pot. I’m fifty feet in n the air hanging off a board everyday I make 80k and I smoke everyday twenty years and counting get some!

2. Rick1 month ago

“Dead to the world”? There are those who would disagree with you:

“…a drug which helps produce the serenity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

“The cannabis experience has greatly improved my appreciation for art, a subject I had never much appreciated before.”

“Cannabis brings us to an awareness that we spend a lifetime being trained to overlook and forget and put out of our minds.”

-Carl Sagan-

Contrary to your assertion, cannabis actually opens you to the world.

The problem is that many people attribute their own psychological demons and shortcomings to the cannabis experience. Someone that is lazy while using cannabis, was probably lazy before they began to use it.

3. kl2 months ago

Rob, I agree and a 3.0 is good..especially when they tell you it destroys your short term memory, etc. I finished my graduate degree with a 3.8 and have partaken for over 40+ years. It is good for pain and anxiety and much better for your body than alcohol. and, with the sa remark above, what did they do? It is funny, but with all of the information available, only humans would allow something that would save millions of lives if legal. food for thought!

4. john eicher2 months ago

I had a 4.0 GPA at a top school because I never messed with marijuana. I work 80 hrs a week. You could be at my level if you stopped this drug. Drug use is a weakness.

1. Bill1 month ago

Funny, because I work 78 hours a week and I have graduated from Harvard with a 3.5 GPA. I smoke just about every week and I am as fine as can be.

21. Johnny Walker4 months ago

People against Marijuana completely baffle me. Those who say its the fault of the “young” generation, read this!…. First of all, it was your generation who nearly destroyed our country. Second, if you would educate yourself you wouldn`t have the need to make such a conjecture filled presentation. This country is hypocritical. It`s perfectly ok to allow cigarettes, THE number ONE killer in our world today, and Alcohol, THE number TWO killer, to be legal whilst simultaneously cleaning the blood and guts from the interstate and the tax payers paying the bill. AND while nearly 78% of americans are currently using or have used those prescription drugs that they so easily hand out by the bucket loads you stand and point your dirty little finger at WHO!?! Get it straight, Marijuana is a gift from GOD. It needs no processing, nor additives. You simply take dirt and water and there you have a flower that has been PROVEN …OVER AND OVER AND OVER again to HELP mankind. To CURE CANCER, to DEFEAT HUNDREDS of illnesses. A substance that has not ONE single death on its score sheet and you point at the new generation and place blame on the ones who have FINALLY stopped the lies and FINALLY stood up to those billionaire pharmaceutical companies???!!! Please God help these people see that this gift is EXACTLY what we need. Make the poison alcohol and killer cigarettes illegal if you want to do something with even an ounce of logic. But don`t cry cry cry to us, the ones who have had enough of the BS. Enough of being told what is and isnt good. Cannibus IS GOOD. Anyone who thinks differently IS BAD…..or just plain stupid

1. Yamina Ahderom3 months ago

May I redirect you to this website?

mtlblog.com/2014/10/8-reasons-wh…

Personally, I do not believe in the use of marijuana, but I do believe in its legalization. People use it anyway, the imprisonment rate is biased towards non whites, even though it’s use is about the same throughout all races, and cigarettes and alcohol are both legal.

22. stoner4 months ago

I have been smoking for 28 yrs no health problems at all. Loving it!!! I think I might move to Colorado.

1. G4 months ago

and you should

23. MarilouDJIQ5 months ago

And that commitment is really what is blu electronic tobacco cigarette. Their products or services have been in cigarettes tend to be prohibited from bars and restaurants without reprisal.

24. HelenaGlasheen6 months ago

It reduces fats and carb absorption, reduces urge for food, stimulates the metabolism promoting fats burning and offers you extra vitality. It’s conceivable to accomplish this objective the conventional path moreover through an equalized eating methodology and exercise. With more time now passed, those rates would be even higher as obesity is still on the rise.

25. jerry6 months ago

Funny everyone against cigarettes and smoking in general but another drug introduced legal another problem of accidents dui ect, the fall of the US . lot harder to tell if person high than drunk . Small group pushing for compared to 300million . Watch the decline of students added delinquency of society.

1. Disgusted5 months ago

You are so correct on that always finding reasons to give the majority the demented recreation they want…like if they don’t have enough problems ..legalized this garbage and they will certainly reap what they sow..only problem is us who are innocent will also pay the price….no matter how you put it ..it is a drug that people don’t need at all…but people want to be high and that is not the natural way to live…

1. You’re stupid4 months ago

Do you even know why Cannabis was made illegal?

Do your research and you will knock yourself out facepalming.

Watch Sanjay Gupta’s 2 documentaries on it as well.

YOU ARE WRONG. We have been duped by our Government, this is fact.

2. Derp4 months ago

People who use Cannabis daily normalize on it, and can drive absolutely normal. It’s non-toxic and does not impair those who use it everyday.

1. Deb3 months ago

Ha ha! Unfortunately not ever human being is alike! , so this might go for you but definitely not everyone.

1. Dave4 weeks ago

Some people can drink a 6 pack and function normal , others get drunk on 1 beer
          So what is your point ?

3. doug j4 months ago

You do realize that since legalisation in Colorado accidents have gone down a lot. Pot doesn’t intoxicate like alcohol. People can control themselves, I even go to work after I smoke and no one can tell the difference between me and an employee who doesn’t smoke. You just aren’t educated on this issue.

26. Vicki Enyart6 months ago

For the past 34-years I have dedicated myself as a teacher/coach/administrator in public education. When did we decide in this country that children have the knowledge and wisdom to make decisions that will “haunt” them the rest of their lives. Are we such cowards as the older generation to set limits on the “unknown”? It appears so. We justify our approach to accountability and the bottom dollar line. Our country, and thank God I lived in a time it was valued, was built upon the principles that one’s own personal hard work and effort yields success in life. It appears now that our “adult leadership” decisions are to simply find the quickest and easiest way to pacify the voices of children so we don’t have to deal with them. I now spend at least one day a week sitting in Juvenile Court testifying to the system on how a child that doesn’t come to school, doesn’t do his/her homework, chooses not to try, can be helped. We’ve incorrectly juxtaposed “high expectations” with “anything goes tolerance”. Based upon my 34-years of experience, how in the world can we keep our “children” safe in our public schools when we keep lowering our laws. Truth be told, we can’t. We have multiple students fail the random drug testing we do every time we test. What will it be like 5-years from now. For every one student who can handle the risk, there are 10 who can’t. In 6th grade my nephew was introduced to marijuana. His MS and HS years were spent dealing with the law, in and out of juvenile, completely destroyed his family with the financial expenses. Two years ago, he owed the dealers so much money that he chose to hang himself in his closet with his own belt. Was his life so worthless that we couldn’t set higher standards for him? It appears so. Short of running for office on a platform of “Let’s Stop Being Politically Correct and Get Back To Right and Wrong” I’m at a loss as what to do as an American! God Help This Country!

1. Derek6 months ago

Just because your nephew had a negative experience with weed it doesn’t make it wrong. You’re just taking your feelings out on weed because your nephew killed himself. That sucks, but it doesn’t make weed dangerous. I smoked all through high school and consistently had great grade and now am going to college. Don’t be so quick to judge, not all stoners are criminals. Weed will be legalize nation wide soon enough, so you better come to accept it.

1. Against smoking weed3 months ago

But are we ALL mad??? If weed would not caused any mental retardation or mental disability or illness would be already legal!!!! People are confusing the plant with smoking the plant!! I met ppl who smoke weed and the aSy they talk .. They just fucked up! Weed caused pressing , hateful thinking and lots of effects! different ! White society want to suck black society again! If will be legalized will be only so much money for them and more problems! Smoking weed DO cause problems and we need to recognize it! The oil of the plant is different ! Ppl are comparing weed with alchool ! Are you normal? Are both bad for health in different ways! And if they legalise weed we’ll be for the same reason as alchool make money on “poor” people ! And poor is not workout money is poor inside!

1. Mom of3 months ago

YES, you are so right!
          Everyone thinks because some people can smoke it and be sane then all people can, WRONG!
          People have to remember we are all different individuals w different brain chemistry. I have seen the same moody behavior, nasty, irresponsible, they turn into strangers.a different person.

2. Scott6 months ago

My son has phase syndrome and is seeing 5 different specialist and a family doctor. They all agree this medication with pot . Everything I heard from those who used this medication had nothing but good things to say about it . Show to be safer than others medication and compare it to alcohol it’s better, and how many life was ruined when that was illegal.

1. Sexy Beast2 weeks ago

Smoke weed every day!!!!!!

3. Shawn Perry5 months ago

Vicki your way of thinking is very narrow minded. You probably know nothing about any of the laws that have been created the last hundred years. For you to call yourself a teacher shows why American youth have become less educated in America. Teachers only know what their taught to know and guess what we been fiddling with America’s education for decades now and it clearly shows. You know nothing of why Marijuana is Illegal so here you go I will show you a place to get real knowledge that was documented by the government. Go to this website which will tell you everything you need to know ozarkia.net/bill/pot/blunderof37…

4. Kenneth Braddock5 months ago

Vicki, your nephew’s problems were caused by the laws against cannabis.

1) Family finances destroyed by paying lawyers to defend him.
      2) Dealers in the shadows who are just like Al Capone.
      3) Imaginary line crossed by those who smoke pot equals guilt and criminal identity.

When cannabis is legal these problems are gone.

1. CR Liberty5 months ago

Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could. -William F Buckley Jr

2. Against smoking weed3 months ago

If the nephew would not been interested in weed at all ! There would not be s problem !

5. Nana5 months ago

Vicky Thank you so much for this post! I agreed with every line you said! People just think for themselves and try to make out a good reason for find an excuse to valid their point. I;m not saying all in favor are potheads, but still you touched something important: people are losing principles and values, while alcohol cigars and now dealing with marihuana (recreative) children are being more exposed since is easy to find., In Colorado children are getting to ER from consuming edible marihuana, they confuse it with candies and more students are being introduced to pot. Another article I read was about a husband killed his wife under marihuana effects…I come from a country that is famous for cultivate the best marihuana and cocaine all over the world, I remember in my childhood house we used top have a bottle with marihuana’s leaves mixed with isoprophyl and this would be applied over the skin to heal any body aches, muscles tenderness. Marihuana became from a medicinal plant to become a cigar and that’s what I say that people are using this plant for misunderstood purposes. Marihuana should be approved for medical purposes only like cocaine.

6. George5 months ago

I have recently retired after a very successful career, and I am a 40 year daily user.
      My mind is clear, my body healthy, my moods are good, my doctor is happy with my 23 body mass index. Let me tell you, I know from personal experience it should be legalized. My family sister and brother who consume alcohol, have the big bellies to show for it. They have the fat around their organs from alcohol etc.
      People who have not used it and are ignorant as to its effects should simply try it before deciding. People typically let their egos get in the way and will not deal with their prejudices. That’s why change comes with generational changes, where no ego is invested and minds can be open. I love the push for liberty and legalization, it is way overdue.

1. stoner4 months ago

I’m with you buddy. 28 yrs and going

2. concerned mom2 months ago

How old were you when you started. I am for legalization and education. IMy 19 year old daughter started using at 15 and still uses. I believe is has caused damage to her memory. There is a lot of research that demonstrates it causes brain damage in teens. I deeply deeply regret I didn’t catch this earlier and do more to intervene. I worry about her everyday.

7. Bubbles5 months ago

You are wrong.

8. KW4 months ago

I wish you had to walk in my shoes. Is it better to treat chronic pain patients with opiates in your mind?

9. Deb3 months ago

Amen!!!!!

10. Matthew Chertos1 month ago

Its not a fair to generalize on the evidence of a few. Once a week is only 52 people. /milllions is an astronomically small percentage. There are responsible and irresponsible people why should we all be punished and discriminated against for the acts of a few. The truth is to many people wanna be zealous for a cause.

27. Sj6 months ago

I think that it can positive effects for medical purposes but also has lots of negative effects to me it’s their choice not mine

28. Mac Hoban6 months ago

How can people still believe cannabis is dangerous? I have watched several friends stay baked every day for forty years, they are none the worse for it. Millions of people have had this experience. As for it leading to harder drugs, well if we force our kids to go to organized crime when they buy their weed, it’s hardly surprising if organized crime manages to recruit some of them into criminal behavior of one kind or another. No one hates legal weed more than your local dealer, it’s a disaster for them.

29. nth7 months ago

William. I’m also against marijuana.But leme pick ur brain. Back Iin 2008 my sister was diagnosed with epilepsy she would have 3-5 grandmal seizures every day. She tried all the pill form medications they ddidn’t work. A doctor threw out the idea of marijuana. My sister was completly against the idea. In 2010, 2 years after that doctor recomendation she had no other options. She then said she will try it for 7days. 3 times a day. The first day didn’t look promising. But on day 3 of 7 she didn’t have one seizure. And for the last 4 days she only had 1 seizure. So plz don’t say there’s nothing positive about marijuana. As of today she is still using medical and hasent had a seizure in 1and a half years. So if u want to say there’s nothing positive about marijuana that’s ur opnion. But answer this. Tell me something positive about alcohol. Not trying to start anything because like I said I’m fully aginst marijuana use

30. William Mattingly7 months ago

Why don’t you ask me? I was a DEA Agent for 20 years; never saw any benefits in the use of the stuff; can only cause more auto accidents; more hard drug use. These druggies have fallen for George Sorros’ con, that’s all. Poor ole USA! Yes, I’m a retired Agent; yes, i,m a retired Korean War Veteran. So, take your chops.

1. brandon6 months ago

Your a “druggie” if you consume coffee, soda, or anything with caffeine. Also if you take prescription drugs. Most prescription drugs are worse for you mentally and your health than a lot of illegal drugs. As for marijuana being a “gateway” drug, you need to understand its a choice to do anything. I have used marijuana, and support the legalization of it. I pay my taxes and work just as hard as the next man. I am not a criminal, and I engage in activities to support my community. I’m sure you drink at least occasionally, but I will not stoop to assume you beat your children or wife if you have them. Everything you do is a choice, I do not care what goes on behind the doors of your home. And neither should you mine.

2. Zak6 months ago

My opinion is how can you propose that America cannot use a plant that makes someone happy? It’s proven that it helps people in multiple scenarios. My case is I was going through depression, and I felt like the world rejected me, I didn’t want to like but then one of my friends introduced marajuana to me and I was happy again! I was amazed the at how a plant could change someones view on life. What I belive should take place is that the government should legalize it and tax it, then let people do what they want with that benefit, no one is making you do any thing and if you are worried about kids there is so much worse stuff in the world that could harm them. If you are worried about your kids then tell them not to do it, your the parent and you shouldn’t ruin the benifit for someone just because you don’t want to try it. If someone abuses marajuana then they should be cut off, simple as that. It would cut down on the drug dealers, people in juvi/prison and lastly make sure that the people who do use it have a safe and secure medicine.

3. CR Liberty5 months ago

George Sorros? You may mean William F. Buckley Jr.

4. Kerri Accardi3 months ago

We have an endocannibinoid system, for lack of better words we create a chemical similiar to cannabis which is why it works synergestically with our bodies…we have receptors for it! CB1+CB2

Cannabis can cure cancer and heal most ailments.

The reason it was made illegal was for greed, money, power under the guise of protection and use of racist tactics.

It’s the biggest genocide to exist.

31. Patrick7 months ago

I have yet to meet a cop who was called to a bar fight or a domestic dispute that was fueled by the use of marijuana! The same cannot be said of alcohol. If the individual states are too timid to legalize it then at least decriminalize it and avoid criminally stigmatizing a teen who wants a toke.

1. 420 Friendly5 months ago

Exactly, I’ve brought that same point up to my grandparents and they had no answer for me. The old generation just hates change and is still caught up in the reefer madness they learned. I can guarantee no smoke shops are calling fights in on a nightly basis like local bars do on the regular drunks.

32. Dorothy Long7 months ago

Percentages are not representative of all America. This is misleading. In Australia recently a group defiantly smoked cannabis in our city gardens and a few were interviewed. Of those interviewed NONE were coherent. Relaxed to the point of non-reality is dangerous. There is a risk of brain cells being destroyed over time. Only one market would benefit from cannabis promotion, a profit that would reap chaos on society, like most other dependencies.

1. William II7 months ago

That is your opinion, and unlike many people on the internet, I will respect it. But it is in my opinion that your opinion is completely ignorant and biased. Claiming that the use of cannabis will cause chaos on society is similar to saying eating apples is bad for you.

1. Against smoking weed3 months ago

William .. Are you saying ignorant to Dorithy ? Are you sure that the ignorance is not you ???? Dorothy made a really good point that only few people would understand! Legalising weed will only a profit move for this capitalist system that does not care about what will happen to the society but just the greed of money!!! Technology they are not saying that make people less sociable or more alone of course having a new iPad make money !!! Who cares that people will not be able to communicate face to face anymore ahahshAh my God . I just feel sorry for ALL of you that smokes weed thinking that the act of smoking can be beneficial! You are confusing the potential of the plant with smoking!!! The plant for medical purposes when you are sick is different! The legalisation of the weed must be only as medical purpose but not to light it up!

2. m7 months ago

“Percentages are not representative of all America. This is misleading.”
      ————————————————
      Huh? How is a statistic showing that some people are supportive while some are not not representative of the two viewpoints? What is “misleading” about it?

Would a group of people who drank a whole lot of alcohol in your city gardens be any more coherent? If they were even conscious, that is.

I don’t think this article suggests that using too much of ANY kind of drug is a great thinkg

3. Michelle Saenz7 months ago

So false. , I attended college classes fully lit ,, spewing out answers . My teacher was tripped out non smokers were not as highly charged and ready to answer his questions ,,,, I enjoyed and now I’m ready for tax revenue to light up my state

4. Buzz Mills7 months ago

I’m old and retired, taking oral chemo (a $300 pill, the side-effects of which are endless and atrocious) daily for CML leukemia, with severe cervical disc degeneration, the end product of a football injury as a 12-year old, which causes me no end of pain and complications.

Marijuana keeps me focused on the task at hand; that task being to compile, for openers, an index to help educate Americans, for openers, on Federal and State Issues. bit.ly/1dLfO0Y

The more we know, the better off we will be.

5. Dingus Smith5 months ago

This poll was conducted with a sample of over 2,000 people. This means the margin of error is about 2.5 percentage points. That is very low. The odds of this poll being very misleading are slim. While it may not be a majority but instead about fifty-fifty of people who support legalization, the message remains. People’s views are changing.

33. William J. Phillips9 months ago

My how things have changed in much of the country! This comes from a person who received a 5 year felony conviction for the possession of two marijuana “roaches” in 2000 in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. Finally, at least some states and people are realizing that we, I, are not criminals!!!

1. Just a+Guy7 months ago

Amen. Marijuana being illegal in the first place, if it is remembered in the history books, will be one of the darkest times of our countries history. How we fell into trillions of dollars of debt by our own governments inability to retract their own veracious lies. How the lies kept going for half a century and how HALF of the public CAN STILL BELIEVE THOSE LIES with all the easily re-searchable material on the internet.

It boggles the mind how far people will go to NOT think for themselves. “If the government says it, it must be true”. The first thing you learn in college is how to think for yourself. Taking in all information and accurately judging what is a lie and what is fact. If you believe anything on TV is “scientifically proven” to do anything, you need to learn to think for yourself. If you think marijuana kills brain cells, gives cancer, and causes gravity to stop, then you should probably learn how to think for yourself instead of eating every lie the government spoon feeds you. News stations are also heavily influenced by the government, to help credit their disgusting lies with false truths.

I’ll say it one more time, if even 1 person reading this understands the error of their ways it was worth it. LEARN TO THINK FOR YOURSELF!

1. Ron1 month ago

Right on

34. Sheila10 months ago

Yes I think it should be legal it’s a kick back make you relax.

35. Guy12 months ago

Let me first that I’d like to thank those who made medical marijuana so professional enough so that the government was even impressed with the way it’s been handled from seed to plant to patient someone really took time to take make it so professional it makes me proud of those who took the time and do it right. I think with the professionalism that this has been handled with the government will finally agree to having medical marijuana legal. I’m a Vietnam veteran who has suffered chronic pain for over 40+ years so with the speed of MM becoming legal has excited me to the possibility of having something more to get me relief I need. God bless those who have taken on the task of making this valuable medicine become a reality for us who are suffering;)

36. Ned Morlef1 year ago

i want it legal b/c I have seen the sheriffs in multiple counties around NC involved in felonies like threatening murder & ruin with theft of property under color of law. It has corrupted our LE in the worse way. I didn’t believe what I saw until I saw it. The country would be shocked at what goes on in the dark .

1. Dusty Relic7 months ago

Ned I agree with you but this is not a NC thing it is a US thing. LE has gotten totally out of control. Asset forfeiture gives them too much independence from the taxpayers that employ them and they are spinning out of control. They are doing more to ruin the American way of life than any hanky-headed terrorist could ever do.

37. J Fernandez1 year ago

health.usnews.com/health-news/ar…

enough said. To many people lack basic common sense. Making it legal will get rid of drug dealers?? Really? No it won’t. In fact seeing how they won’t be able to target adults anymore where do u think they will make up for their loss $.. people who can’t but it aka YOUR KIDS! Common sense! Please use it

1. Some People…1 year ago

If marijuana were made legal drug dealers would have to rely on selling hardcore drugs to the people that are ALREADY buying them. Marijuana has this funny term people made up called “Gateway Drug” and it’s 100% true, it is a Gateway drug because it is illegal and forces people that want it to go to drug dealers who will try to sell them hardcore drugs. It being illegal is the only thing that IS wrong with marijuana, and it isn’t marijuana’s fault, it’s greedy politicians and ignorant civilians that lap up lies like a cat laps up milk from a saucer. Drug dealers would NOT start targeting children more, that would be the BEST possible outcome as finding them around schools and places children are would make catching them next to a cake walk, as kids don’t like to wander around dark alleys at night by themselves, it’s rather easy to find people targeting children.

2. jack7 months ago

Did you even read the article you posted? There are serious limitations to that study.

3. Dusty Relic7 months ago

Drug dealers would not start selling to children; that is just silly. For one thing I doubt that very many drug dealers could make a living just off of kids, unless they lived in a really rich area where the parents don’t pay attention to what their kids spend their parents’ money on. To the extent that they stay in business it will be by switching to another product, but with cannabis legally available they will likely have to find other lines of work. This is of course assuming that cannabis is not overtaxed which unfortunately is a troubling tendency that threatens to undermine legalization.

4. Educated Citizen6 months ago

So you’re telling me that because Marijuana has contributed to 12 percent of fatal crashes in 2010 it is acceptable to keep it illegal despite the fact that alcohol has been present in FORTY, yes 40 percent of all fatal crashes? You realize that is about 10 percent of total crashes that involved marijuana? And you still think alcohol is completely safe and legal? Wake up, use some common sense, marijuana is not the problem here. I see more people driving like idiots completely sober than I have seen anyone under the influence of marijuana. I would also like to point out that just because a person had marijuana in their system at the time of a fatal crash, does NOT mean marijuana had anything to do with said crash. Correlation does not equal causation. Anti-pot heads have been using that argument for years, and Colorado’s legalization has PROVEN that fatal crashes involving marijuana are DOWN, the lowest they have been in years, since 2002. It’s easy to pick and choose which information to put out there to alter someones opinion, but you have to also recognize that there are actual facts out there that tell you you’re wrong.

38. Ann Price1 year ago

I am a teacher of the baby boom era. I have occasionally smoked pot and do think it can impair a person’s ability to think clearly. Even though I know empirical data is necessary to REALLY ascertain truths in those or other issues, I offer an anecdote of an observation of a student I made in a classroom.
    The student came to class at the first period if the day, sat down and was supposed to write a short report about her weekend at her work-study job. I noticed that she was having trouble doing this but normally when she was asked to submit that regularly-required report, she’d completed it in about five minutes. I went over to her station to help. As I approached her I noticed that she wreaked of marajuana smoke to the point it was difficult to be near her and I do no have a sensitive nose at all. I noticed also that she could not manage to type a partial much less a complete sentence. She never did finish even the first two garbled sentences. So, from my observation, at least for her she was impaired and should NOT have been driving ANYTHING. And yet, that’s how she had gotten to school and with a younger sister in her car. I wouldn’t have wanted anybody I loved to have shared the roads with her.
    However, some uses of marajuana I think are ok. I have a relative who was very stressed in his job as are many people. He was alleviateing that stress with an after work, at home drink that became two or three.. It was getting to be problematic. His wife suggested a little weed in the evening and that helped a lot. And he has not increased his use at all. Granted other things might have been just as good, like exercise, but sometimes time restrains don’t make that feasible.
    I offer this with the currently popular quote “I’m just saying.”

1. Dog7 months ago

I have to respond to you Ann Price because you’ve committed a fallacy that many anti-legalization arguments make- you assume the unusual behavior of someone who has smoked pot is strictly an effect of the drug. This is wrong. Being high is largely a blissful wonderful experience, that at times can peak into paranoia, munchies, or fits of laughing. Smoking pot puts you in a different mindset, where you perceive and understand, and respond in a way that may reflect the effects of the drug. To me there is nothing wrong with this. Where these changes in perception and feeling become dangerous are when they can land you in jail, or get you suspended from school. I can imagine that girl in your class. Probably inexperienced with marijuana, finds herself in a classroom after smoking, conscious she reeks of weed, and with a teacher watcher her and taking note of her behavior.. well i’d freak out in that situation too myself.

TL;DR Negative effects from marijuana are compounded by intolerant views on it’s use, and arcane law and policy. Taking drugs is as human an experience as having sex, and as awkward a subject for our “educators” and “guardians” to talk about.

2. Ohio Person7 months ago

I liked Ann Price’s comment because she gave two personal experiences with the marijuana use of others, one that was inappropriate and harmful, and another that was helpful to the user.

I think what explains the surprisingly rapid turnaround in Americans’ views on legalization is that suddenly we are allowing ourselves—and each other—to hold opposing thoughts about it in our heads at the same time.

39. Benjamin Brandenburg1 year ago

If marijuana isn’t legalized, it fills up the jails, and that’s just stupid.

40. Randall Burns1 year ago

I live in Washington state where Cannabis is legal to use–but not yet legally available to buy. We also have the strange situation where police are often not tested for drug or alcohol use–even though we have lots of lawyers, cops and judges with substance issues, while some government employees have a zero tolerance policy on cannabis.
    I think with legalization we need a more sensible testing policy for all drugs. Yes there are people that become unfit to do their jobs using both cannabis or alcohol-or even some prescribed medications. We also need to revisit the fact that even though the effects on the public of drug use by folks in positions of responsibility can be far greater, those folks are rarely tested or arrested. All public officials, officers
    of publicly traded companies and licensed professionals or law enforcement officers should be subject to drug and average alcohol consumption tests. We should not put casual users in jail–but chronic users need to be kept from jobs they cannot really do effectively or safely.

41. Kenneth Fulford1 year ago

I would like to use it for medical reasons. Pain and cancer don’t want to get high but the oil form will help many.
    The government knows it has medical uses. Big drug company don’t want the compaction.
    For 3000 years it was used as a medication. In the late 1930’s they were expanding the uses of it.
    I understand keeping it away from children but they can’t keep alcohol away from them.
    At least when its legal children will not be able to get it as easy as they do now.
    I can get off the narcotics that I take for pain that kills someone every 29 mins.

42. L. W. Fries1 year ago

Well, it seems where you get information is WAY more important than the truth. What’s more sad is that it has been with us since 1937! The audacity of lies and lawmakers to write into treaties such dribble as our stupid drug laws. Every signer was under threat of losing millions of dollars. SAD

So, the children shall lead! I know a bunch of “GRAYS” who indulge in secret just as they always have. All of them have medical prescriptions but fear the “LAW”.

OH, they all started on mikl!

43. Richard McDowell1 year ago

Down & down we go where it stops no one knows.

44. William Mattingly1 year ago

I’m a retired DEA Special Agent. In my 20 years on the job in 7 major U.S. cities, I’ve never interviewed a heroin addict who stated that he/she started drug use on heroin. No, their first entry into the drug world was pot, then they looked for a “bigger high” and off they went. Contrary to current myths, FBN, BNDD, DEA leadership forbid we agents on working on any cases under 100 lbs. and this was Chicago circa 1958! Small cases like this we turned over to local or state police. Our targets then and now are organized crime traffickers and lab operators. States that have liberalized pot use will see an increase in major auto accidents as a result of drugged drivers. As for me, I don’t intend to drive in either state. It’s bad enough in the state where I live now with alcohol intoxicated drivers!

1. Williams Katherine1 year ago

If you are a DEA agent, you have effectively demonstrated why your group has been one of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money in the history of this nation, because clearly you don’t know much about the drug you’re policing.

The entry drugs are nicotine, alcohol and caffeine. Every study has said as much – it’s just that most addicts are as oblivious as you apparently are, that those are mind-altering substances.

2.3 million people reported trying marijuana in 2009 – 617,000 tried cocaine and 180,000 tried heroine, in the same year. Facts are facts – marijuana is the most easily obtainable illicit drug (despite all the money wasted by our government trying to maintain a prohibition), so most people who’ve used other illicit drugs, have tried it too. That they found pot first, is in no way, shape or form, an indication that marijuana had any part in their later drug use. Some of them found LSD first – LSD isn’t the cause of their further drug use. Your attempt to suggest otherwise, is a joke – the facts overwhelming support that there is no gateway affect between marijuana and other drugs.

States that have had medical marijuana have NOT seen an increase in major traffic accidents, because the drug that causes driving impairment, is the legal one – booze. Every legitimate study on the use of marijuana while driving, showed that for most people, it made them highly observant (i.e. paranoid) and that people drive slower and more carefully when under the influence of marijuana.

Which is not to say that it isn’t an impairment, but if you’re in an accident involving marijuana, you are likely to be going a lot slower, and it’s less likely to be a major accident. Because unlike most other drugs, on marijuana, you are AWARE that you’re impaired, and you try to be extra cautious. Unlike with alcohol, where you imagine you’re bulletproof. There is zero correlation, between a relaxation in marijuana prohibition, in any state or nation, and an increase in major traffic accidents.

You think your experience makes you the expert, but it demonstrates the lies that parts of the drug enforcement engine have been telling themselves for years – because they refused to call Anslinger the liar he was.

And it he was a liar – just ask Portugal. They have proven, conclusively, that a responsible drug policy doesn’t involve jailing users. They have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that decriminalization works. And right now, 17 states are in the process of proving it too.

But you continue to tell yourself, that the facts – that we jail a larger percentage of our population than any other nation, and that an insane amount of people serving life sentences are doing so for non-violent possession crimes affected by the BS three-strikes rule, and that while white and black people use marijuana at roughly the same rates, black people are three times more likely to be arrested for possession – are good things.

The rest of us will rely on rational evaluation of the facts, not anecdotal stories from someone who clearly hasn’t bothered to ever research the lies he tells himself and others.

1. true blue10 months ago

Couldn’t have said it better! Thank you for your writing skills & knowledge of BS. All of the info is out there to know the facts. It is amazing how many governmental & law enforcement employees only repeat the propaganda that they have been fed & never take it upon themselves to check actual facts & history. The ignorance of not checking the validity of one’s own beliefs is the cause of many of the problems in our country. I hope & pray that our citizens will really begin to be more responsible for the “info” that they pass along.

2. Sheila10 months ago

Tell to them again they can give me a medical marijuana card and get me off all these pills I take for one thing but may cause something else the don’t work when you go back to the doctor he give you something else I’m tired of being a geniepig for pills .children are going to try everything out there on the market or off.It’s up to you as a parent to check you children

3. Mom of3 months ago

The medication is totally different than Pot, no thc in it.
        That is what makes you high and many other traits that are not acceptable!

4. Mom of3 months ago

The medical pot does not have THC, so there should not be any
        impariment! The last thing these parents want for there young children having seizures is to worry about them getting high!!! They are looking for relief and less heartache.

2. smorty1 year ago

You say heroin user started with marijuana?
      What about alcohol? I believe exposure to booze is more prevalent than marijuana … and to go further, can we trace it back to Mothers milk?

3. Destry C.1 year ago

GO AWAY! DEA!
      GO AWAY! DEA!
      GO AWAY! DEA!
      STOP DESTROYING PEOPLES ATTEMPTS TO START A LIFE THROUGH A PEACEFUL BUSINESS, LET THEM SELL THEIR WEED!!!

4. DrT Happy1 year ago

Mr. Mattingly, You are telling us you were a DEA agent? From your comment I would guess you are telling us a little fib aren’t you? What % of the total population did you deal with, maybe 1%? Or even Less? And from that group you have made a global statement that marijuana is THE entry drug? So obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. I personally know 30 or 40 people ( and in my 71 year on this planet maybe 200) that have used it and never went to anything else. Now I do know people who are alcoholics who use MJ excessively. People who are prone to addiction will go on to other stuff. People who are not won’t. I would so much rather be around a pot smoker than an alcoholic. And be driven by one. You just do not know what you are talking about, Sorry.

5. Some People…1 year ago

Your views have been so skewed by the laws you’ve been blindly enforcing for decades that I doubt even if the truth did come out, straight from the mouths that have been lying to you your entire life you would still not be able to comprehend it. It’s such a sad fate…

6. Gary g10 months ago

Heroin was the first drug I ever used & even Heroin lives under propaganda. . .you do not get a habit off the first Few uses.You are just another brainwashed Dea agent trying to brainwash the public through prejudicial ignorance!

7. Ohio Person7 months ago

Anticipated uptick in traffic accidents and overall increase in use are valid arguments against legalization—valid, but weak. The argument for legalizing is far stronger because the social costs of mass incarceration of marijuana users is quite clearly several magnitudes larger than the costs of the use itself.

As for the ‘gateway drug’ argument, this is probably a very complicated topic unto itself, but my feeling has always been that in general people don’t just sort of drift into heavy-duty heroine/narcotics use. I think that people who end up in that dark place got there due to some deep personal issues, not just because “whee! that’s fun!” So, while it may be true that many hard core narcotics users may report having tried marijuana before their eventual hard drug choice, it does not necessarily follow that their lives would have been just peachy if they only hadn’t smoked that one joint that one time back in 10th grade. I think it’s a combination of physical predisposition and some inner turmoil or traumatic experience that compels a person to try drugs, and stick with them.

45. slk1 year ago

what i’d like to know is when a cop pulls over a driver, how do you tell, whether they just smoked, or it was weeks ago???

1. Williams Katherine1 year ago

They can’t, which is a concern. But there are cognitive tests that can be used, to determine if someone is incapacitate to drive. It’s just that, thanks to the breathalyzer, we stopped bothering to actually test if someone is impaired, and instead decided we could arbitrarily decide at what blood-alcohol level someone is impaired. Which was a pretty stupid path to take, in any regard.

1. slk1 year ago

agree!!!

2. Mom of3 months ago

They are working on that! So people can’t smoke pot while they operate on you, or give you medicine, work a construction truck, ect. You ever think of that!

46. Annaemma1 year ago

Marijuana stays in the system for up to 30 days, and daily or frequent use means that one is under the influence all of the time. A young person is dangerously affected by constant use, and since you can’t control cigarettes enough to keep them out of young people’s hands, why would you do such with marijuana? It smells, it is unpleasant to be around people who use it. Many years ago we were exposed to it, kids used it, it didn’t make sense to me. If you can’t find ways to feel good about life, without using any drug at all…..alcohol, heroin, marijuana., tobacco…..then go out and volunteer for some good cause. You will feel really, really good.
    Marijuana legalization will be a money maker bonanza for the same kinds of corporation as are behind alcohol and tobacco, so when you see the corporations are behind legalizing marijuana, you will know why. Is there anything more ugly than a display case of all the different kinds. Of course, I am 81, and never smoked and rarely drank alcohol, maybe that’s why I am smarter than all who want to escape instead of live their lives as true members of society. I know, I know, all societies have used escapist mechanisms when life is hard, but the better groups have found ways to simply use their own intellects to feel good, and perhaps then have the ability to use wisely what is available. I am adamant about legalization, and will just say, you mark my words, you will be sorry in the long run. A society that can’t get along without drugs disappears from history. This is rambling, but at my age, I am entitled. It would be interesting to see if anyone can prove that what I write here isn’t true. You want your young teen to be smoking pot, or tobacco, or drinking underage, and driving? I guess there aren’t enough people having kids these days, birth rates are way down for whites. Welcome to the doped up world, it’s on its way.

1. DrT Happy1 year ago

I agree with most everything you say. And to make it a criminal offense and jail people for it is still just plain dumb. Alcohol is so much worse.

2. moose1 year ago

Also, not sure if you have noticed, but weed being illegal also doesn’t keep it out of kid’s hands, so why do you think wasting billions of dollars on prohibition is a good policy? I think its completely unpleasant to be around very drunk people, but I don’t want to throw people in prison for drinking, because that would be DUMB. I also think it would likely be unpleasant to be around you. “Many years ago we were exposed to it”. We are STILL exposed to it. It is WIDELY available. It has been used by humans for THOUSANDS OF YEARS. Get a grip on reality please.

3. Mr. Nice Guy1 year ago

Actually marijuana can stay in the system for really however long it takes for the body to break down the THC, which depends on the person and their weight, metabolism etc. Furthermore, I am almost 18 years old and have been immersed and around marijuana and the lifestyles of kids and teenagers today that smoke the reefer on a daily basis. Any moderately competent person with a cell phone can get weed from four different people. Weed is so widely accessible it’s a joke really. Making it legal would most definitely put restrictions on the illegal obtaining of reefer by younger kids who are choosing to get high for a few hours on the weekend with their friends trying to make an ordinary life extraordinary. We’re just young and reckless in an advancing society that is promoting the notion that to be seen as being older and more mature is the way to be cool and smoking and drinking every weekend is what makes that happen. The reality is, although getting “Turnt up” is a hell of time and they’ll probably be able to look back on these years as the best years of their lives, which I have yet to figure out is worth saying or not, marijuana itself does not affect their contribution to society in any shape or form. They have a choice to keep their lives in check and have their priorities straight while still enjoying whatever lifestyle suits them. I play hockey, go to school, take AP courses and get good grades, mind you, work a job and I still live it large whenever the opportunity presents itself. I have unparallelled personal experience in the world of drugs today by simply being a semi-popular kid in High School and through these experiences I have witnesses both the ridiculously idiotic things people have done on drugs (foolish shenanigans are 90% of the time the cause of multiple drugs and or ALCOHOL and a drug at the same time combo but ALCOHOL the main culprit) and also the harmless friendly neighborhood stoners who just want to get ripped and live life content to the fullest with nothing other than an Iced Tea and some food. Kids shouldn’t be prosecuted for doing only what is natural for teens today, it’s turning innocent smoking into an entire scandalous adventure of lies and deceit that turns sons against fathers and the people against the government. This article proves that people are beginning to accept weed as the magnificent tree it is and the amazing abilities it has.

1. Cassandra Garffie6 months ago

huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/ma…
        They are just now starting to see the long term effects of chronic use. But just go ahead and keep smoking. See where you are in 25-30 years.

4. Violet11 months ago

Great way of thinking that’s the same thing I say more money for the goverment and less for the people who need the money!

5. Dusty Relic7 months ago

Just because the metabolites are detectable in your system that does NOT mean you are under the influence for 30 days, which typically peeks after a few minutes and almost completely dissipated within an hour or so. I laughed so hard when I read that; I said to myself “wow a real expert here” LOL!

Also, we actually CAN control tobacco well enough to keep it out of kids’ hands. Since strict tobacco regulations have gone into effect combined with aggressive educational outreach teen use of tobacco is near record lows right now. It is in fact the only substance where we’ve managed to reduce rates of teen abuse. And we did it without banning them completely or criminalizing their possession or use by adults.

Also, although I myself haven’t used cannabis in over 30 years, I still find the photos of the displays showing all the different kinds absolutely beautiful. Really really lovely.

Also your rants about youngsters getting into hijinks after smoking cannabis don’t make sense. Don’t you read? Don’t you know that the point of moving cannabis into a regulated market is to take it OUT of the hands of kids and put it into the hands of adults? And as far “welcome” to the doped-up world, it is no more doped up now than before and it will continue to be doped-up at approximately the same rate as always. Legalization doesn’t mean its use is required, after all. There are plenty of people who choose not to drink even though alcohol is legal.

All of this adds up to one thing: you’re wrong Annaemma!

6. Against smoking weed3 months ago

Exatly!! You made a really good point that most people who smoke weed will not understand. Weed legalisation will be only for profit and nothing else!! Weed profit will be in the hand of the si called “minority” in the capitalist system and this is alarming! Another good point is one in the fact that most people who use drugs, alchool and so one they do not live Thor lives without. They become addicted. This is sad in therms of REACTING TO LIFE! We know life is difficult and we need learn how to live not escaping from the problems that if you use weed become multiplied!!!!!!!! Yes weed is relaxing to ppl who know how to put a limit but most people don’t they smoke because they need it to be ok and this case is not a good thing anymore!

47. R Tonn1 year ago

The Federal Bureau of Narcotics was formed under the treasury Department in 1930 and Harry J. Anslinger was named director. He is more responsible than anyone else for advancing laws that made marijuana illegal. His tactic was promote racist connotations to marijuana use, suggesting that it made blacks feel equal to whites, and made white women susceptible to seduction by black men. William Randolph Hurst sensationalized these assertions and further moved criminalization legislation forward, also linking marijuana use to various forms of violence. The result was that marijuana became illegal under federal law in 1937.

We may find these tactics laughable today, but our continuing prohibition of marijuana use can be traced to these lies and the ambition of Anslinger and the yellow journalism of Hearst.

It’s time to reconsider, with a focus on the actual facts.

1. Phaedrus1 year ago

Nice writing R Tonn. Your argument is sound and quite honestly carries more weight than any of the other comments addressing this study. I am all for nationwide legalization of marijuana. It is truly less damaging than alcohol, and though it needs control, it is truly the best choice.

2. Some People…1 year ago

Smart man R Tonn, at least SOMEONE on this thread actually knows what they’re talking about. I hope this widespread ignorance gets fixed soon, I’m not sure how much more badmouthing of this wonderful plant I can take, marijuana is the jew to our governments nazi power, when will we stop the unneeded hate and wasted money…

3. Gary g10 months ago

Yes, very well and factually put!

4. Dusty Relic7 months ago

You are correct.

48. Cares1 year ago

Who would want a person “stoned” or high as a “kite” on this drug, driving a car or working a complicated medical procedure?

1. DrT Happy1 year ago

Who would want a person drunk doing all these things. So you would rather jail all who want to get “high” but let the alcoholics keep doing what they are doing? If you drink any alcohol you are in the same category as someone who gets high. Because you do not know there is no difference, makes you unqualified to comment. You think that your one or two beers or glass of scotch does not impair you, yet it has the same effect as one or two hits of marijuana. And that is the whole point. If you occasionally get drunk, some people occasionally get to high. Same thing. Are you responsible when you are drunk? No driving, no beating your wife? Pot smokers are the same. (Except pot smokers, not drunk pot smokers, would never beat their wives.)

2. moose1 year ago

If you go to work drunk, you would get fired. Why do you think it would be any different for cannabis? Did you think this through much? Oh, and by the way, if I had to choose between someone doing a heavy night of drinking or someone doing a heavy night of smoking, it’d be the smoking 100% of the time. Alcohol can pretty much disable a person for a full 24 hours with the hangover – not so with weed. Get a grip on reality please.

3. Dusty Relic7 months ago

Somebody needs to google “non sequitur”.

1. Jim7 months ago

hahaha exactly what I was thinking reading these comments

49. dcinnovator1 year ago

The fact that it was ever made illegal in the first place shreds the constitution and it should give you great pause. If any of you ‘firmly against’ MJ folks can actually explain the process through which MJ became illegal, I’ll be surprised. If you knew the process, or more precisely the lack of process that went into making MJ illegal in the first place in the United States of America, I think you, you the Patriot, in the land of the Free, Don’t Tread on Me, stay off my property Uncle Sam and keep the Government out of my life- you would be ashamed you ever went along with this in the first place.

You talk about being ‘Conservative’ (which really doesn’t mean having the government tell you what to do around every corner) and living in the land of the free, but the minute the Gov makes up some silly law that creates good guys and bad guys, you roll over and take it- because inside, deep down, you’re weak and don’t think for your self.

I’m glad we’re all finally waking up. It will be nice to have fewer tax dollars being wasted on incarcerating those who are otherwise hard-working, tax-paying citizens.

The End.

50. jay1 year ago

So many uneducated people don’t get it! Why don’t the people that don’t understand, actually do some research before spouting off with their ridiculous jargon? Seriously!

How many of you studied biology or anatomy in college, or even went to college?

BTW, you’re on the wrong side of history. It’s coming one way or another. Regardless if it’s this year or in 3 years. It’s coming. Don’t be the one standing on the sidelines.

Empty the jails and stop wasting tax dollars on stupid laws.

51. Jody1 year ago

The fact is, that the gov. sould just make it leagal so we can stop putting the wrong crimals in jail. I mean who would you rather see in jail sombody on the street selling drugs trying to make money or somebody stealing from your bank account, like that stupid TV show mob wives and it turns out they commited faud, which everyone knows what the mobs famous for. I mean the gov. Should be more focused on other things besides what we do with or put into our body, do they have control over you. I watched documentry on posions does anyone remember the radium girls, when the gov. Said it alright to use radium. Why do think we have a stong pill dependicty because the gov.say that alright. And that they say cigarettes kill everyday but have they done anything to shut them down, no just stupid ads that dont do anything and cost money. I remember something from a news broadcast saying that muiltvitamins were bad for you. So I dont know what to believe anymore, what I do know is people are going to do what they want to do and theres nothing you can do about it, so if they want to do drugs their going to do drugs and come up with other ways to do them so you might well make them legal. I mean its pretty bad when you see it all the on the TV shows and the news that police arrested somebody for selling marijuana. And reason they were selling it was to make money which is what everyone wants. I mean think about if could make a 1000 a week selling weed, verses working a legal job that you work 40 hours or less, making maybe 8,9,10 dollars hours, witch job would you choose.

1. slk1 year ago

and when they only try to make a living off of your kids???

1. moose1 year ago

Versus the unregulated, unethical drug dealers that indiscriminately sell to your children under the current failed policy of prohibition? How about the scores of people who are regularly killed as a direct result of prohibition? How about the fact that you, as a parent, should take some responsibility and actually exhibit some sort of real parenting abilities.

2. Melinda Lockwood1 year ago

I would much rather see a drug dealer in jail. Making pot legal would effectively eliminate the black market. If I could make 1000 a week selling pot legally, I would do it. But the fact remains that drug dealers take advantage of our children (8, 9, 10 years old) who don’t need to be doing drugs of any sort. People who sell drugs to children (anyone under the age of 18 – sorry) should be thrown in jail. Adults should be allowed to consume whatever they choose but children do not need to use drugs. Comments like yours are ill-considered and short-sighted.

52. Hasan Hussein1 year ago

I do not support legalizing Marijuana, but if this is done then it should be treated in public like “open container” for alcohol and beer.
    As for decriminalization, misdemeanors with fines, and short-term incarceration for repeat offenders (like public drunkenness. No longer make it a felony except were alcohol is likewise so treated.

1. Timothy Steele1 year ago

Do you support oppression? It sounds like it.

1. slk1 year ago

oppression??? how do you feel about bamacare???

1. Kathryn1 year ago

Insurance if you can afford, help if you can’t, and all leading to a healthier population, which will lead to a stronger country. Healthy kids can learn better. It’s a win/win all around.

1. slk1 year ago

“afford”??? young people “aren’t” signing up, 400,000 uninsured only signed!!! how many millions that signed up, were kicked off their insurance??? how many are getting freebies??? how many are getting huge discounts??? what good is pediatrics and maternity to a 62 year old man, and millions like me??? “affordable”??? what do you think the insurance companies will do, when they see the people who are supposed to pay for this, are paying pennies to what was expected??? and now there’re more uninsured then before!!! and before you say no, remember over 5 million were kicked off their ins!!! the only thing affordable is…the name!!! remember the government never gives anything for free, someone has to pay first!!! so when you or your children grow up, and make it in this world, try to think what it feels like to be punished, for those who’ll do nothing!!! fortunately, not everyone are moochers, some are down on their luck, and will climb back up, but many don’t expect to do anything, which explains why there are jobs out there, with no one to hire!!! and don’t tell me about inequality, why are middle aged people flipping burgers, with 4, 5, 6 children??? everyone should know 2+2 doesn’t equal 10!!! looking forward to your reply!!!

2. jay1 year ago

You’re on the wrong side of history. Just like when white people said it was “race Mixing” when white people and black people were seen together.

Are you a medical doctor Hasan? Do you actually know the benefits of Marijuana?

1. slk1 year ago

i want you to think about that, for a while, really, only “white people”??? i don’t have to say you’re on the wrong side of history, because you’re babbling!!!

53. Lisa Porter1 year ago

I believe the biggest reason people have a hard time accepting marijuana is the ‘smoking’ aspect. Too many anti smoking campaigns have taken their toll. We need to educate the public on the various uses. Not only can it be turned into products, such as paper, rope, etc, it has incredible medical benefits. It can be used as an herb and added to many many dishes. It shouldn’t be that hard to regulate. Classify it with alcohol, put on age limits, with showing proof before buying and the normal no public consumption clauses with it. Farmers that currently grow tobacco can apply for a license to grow the marijuana. As for selling, it can be taken to the same warehouses as tobacco, taxed appropriately and sold to the businesses that will be using it. The amount of good it can do medically speaking is huge. Tack on the amount of revenue it can bring to a city or state, and so much more good could come out of it. Those people taught to believe it is evil and only used by evil need to be educated. This won’t happen unless they agree to read the literature and I am sorry but proclaiming it ‘toking’ or ‘smoking’ they won’t even open a link. Those of us in favor need to put our comments on the government sites where it will do the most good.

54. StunnedbytheIgnorance1 year ago

IF I SHOUT DOES THAT HELP? What the heck does smoking something have to do with the question of legalization of cannabis? If cannabis is legal there is no reason to smokeb it. You can if you liked, but there aren’t many out here claiming that smoked marijuana is healthy.
    What we really have is a situation where unjust laws have forced those who would use cannabis to do so in the most efficient manner. In other words, people only smoke it ( in general) because they don’t knowany other way to consume. Once prohibitionists get out of the way real research can be done on the best way to ingest but until then most people are forced to simply smoke it. Let’s get this law changed so people can become more acquainted with safer forms of ingestion.

55. William Clark1 year ago

As we review these six current political facts about marijuana, may we indulge a few in the medical, cultural, and historic realms?

Prohibition of marijuana is a premise built upon a tissue of lies: Concern For Public Safety. Our new law in Michigan saves hundreds of lives every year, on the highways alone. In November of 2011 a study at the University of Colorado found that, in the thirteen states that legalized medical marijuana between 1990 and 2009, traffic fatalities have dropped by nearly nine percent—and nearly ten percent in Michigan–while sales of beer went flat by five percent. No wonder Big Alcohol opposes it. Ambitious, unprincipled, profit-driven undertakers might be tempted too.

In 2012 a study released by 4AutoinsuranceQuote cited statistics revealing that marijuana users are safer drivers than non-marijuana users, as “the only significant effect that marijuana has on operating on a motor vehicle is slower driving”, which “is arguably a positive thing”. Imagine the further reduction in fatalities if marijuana were legalized for all adults.

Marijuana has many benefits, most of which are under-reported or never mentioned in American newspapers. Research at the University of Saskatchewan indicates that, unlike alcohol, cocaine, heroin, or Nancy (“Just say, ‘No!’”) Reagan’s beloved nicotine, marijuana actually encourages brain-cell growth. Research in Spain (the Guzman study) and other countries has discovered that it has tumor-shrinking, anti-carcinogenic properties. These were confirmed by the 30-year Tashkin population study at UCLA.

Drugs are man-made, cooked up in labs, for the sake of patents and the profits gained by them. They are often useful, but typically come with cautionary notes and lists of side effects as long as one’s arm. ‘The works of Man are flawed.’

Marijuana is a medicinal herb, the most benign and versatile in history. “Cannabis” in Latin, and “kaneh bosm” in the old Hebrew scrolls, quite literally the Biblical Tree of Life, used by early Christians to treat everything from skin diseases to deep pain and despair. The very name, “Christ” translates as “the anointed one”. Well then, anointed with what? It’s a fair question. And it wasn’t holy water, friends. Holy water came into wide use in the Middle Ages.

Medicinal oil, for the Prince of Peace. A formula from the Biblical era has been rediscovered. It specifies a strong dose of oil from kaneh bosm, ‘the fragrant cane’ of a dozen uses: ink, paper, rope, nutrition. . . . It was clothing on their backs and incense in their temples. And a ‘skinful’ of medicinal oil could certainly calm one’s nerves, imparting a sense of benevolence and connection with all living things. No wonder that the ‘anointed one’ could gain a spark, an insight, a sense of the divine, and the confidence to convey those feelings to friends and neighbors.

What gets to me are the politicians, prosecutors, and police who pose on church steps or kneeling in prayer on their campaign trails, but can’t face the scientific or the historical truth about cannabis, Medicinal Herb Number One, safe and effective for thousands of years, and celebrated by most of the world’s major religions.

1. Dennis Johnson1 year ago

Wasn’t cannabis first made illegal in the early 40s to protect the paper industry? There are so many uses for cannabis other than medicinal. In fact, in Colonial times you could be fined for not growing it – again for paper.

1. Hasan Hussein1 year ago

In WW2, hemp was needed by the Navy for rope.

2. Ritchie Santor1 year ago

Hey, Den John – Project Grow? – As mentioned above, William Randolph Hearst had his hand (and Anslinger’s) in assuring pot (and all hemp) was outlawed because of his life being wrapped up in Hearst Publishing and the lumber used to create the paper the newspapers were printed on. Harry J. Anslinger quote: “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.” Ha! Sounds like all we need is a couple show tunes and we’d be ready for “…a little night music.”

2. true blue10 months ago

Thank you William Clark. This information is something not many know about & usually is supressed. If only Americans would take the time to research all the oppressive lies pounded into our heads by the greedy capitalists & the political brainwashing, they would be amazed at the amount of truth covered up for the sake of money & specifically, control of the public opinion. With the continual propagation of lies it is much easier to control us & when we don’t know the actual facts & truth we stay confused & unable to see & know how to stop the fraud & the stealing us blind that the majority of those in power are accomplishing. If marijuana is legalized (which I am all for) then the “war on drugs” & those with top positions in this regime would lose billions of taxpayers money. Enough money to pay for health care for all of our country. I am very encouraged by the fact that now, because of the internet, it is becoming easier to share the truth & facts with each other. The greedy & the political & the Nancy Reagan followers into the “war” are becoming more exposed by the day. And once we are not so oppressed anymore by these kinds of people, we won’t be so sick & full of stress related diseases thereby not needing so much medicine!

56. Walter Heimert1 year ago

I THOUGHT SMOKING WAS BAD FOR ONES HEALTH. BUT ARE WE NOW SAYING “SMOKING IS BAD FOR ONES HEALTH BUT NOT MARIJUANA SMOKING?

1. James1 year ago

There are other ways to consume cannabis than smoking it.

You can vape it, cook it, bake it, etc. THC is a fat soluble molecule. You can put it in salad dressing.

1. cr73 months ago

i think james is right thats a really good point

2. Against smoking weed3 months ago

Good! I’d like the thè with marijuana better than camomile I guess:D

Smoking it is not beneficial at all!!

But the problem is that if they legalized the medicine , people who smokes it will have another stupid say on it! Because they want to snoke it to solve their problem ! They have a distorted view of the weed!

3. Mom of3 months ago

Oh yeah and how many people really do that!

2. Dennis Johnson1 year ago

Smoking tobacco products is bad for your health.

3. Jeremy Helbing1 year ago

Are you telling us that you are incapable of understanding that smoke can be more or less harmful for you depending on what is producing it?

4. Randall Burns1 year ago

Smoking anything is questionable. However some substances are more harmful per puff than others-and some substances are less likely to be used frequently. Tobacco is highly addictive and users develop a tolerance and tend to smoke frequently. Thus even if Cannabis were more dangerous per puff it might be less hazardous in typical use.

1. jefferson1 month ago

Every opinion i have read here is actually irreverent!!! This is my USA and to think that Any In society or government would think that it is ok for our republic to take away the freedom of men to eat, drink or smoke whatever they so desire is unconscionable. I have been rolling in my grave for almost 100 years now knowing that my once great nation is slowly losing its way.