In a new Pew Research Center analysis based on 66 focus groups conducted in the fall of 2021, Asian American participants described navigating their own identity in a nation where the label “Asian” brings expectations about their origins, behavior and physical self.
The participants in this companion documentary were not part of the focus group study, but were similarly sampled to tell their own stories.
- Read the data essay: What It Means To Be Asian in America
- Watch the documentary: Being Asian in America
- Explore the interactive: In Their Own Words: The Diverse Perspectives of Being Asian in America
- View expanded interviews: Extended Interviews: Being Asian in America
- About this research project: More on the Being Asian in America project
- Q&A: Why and how Pew Research Center conducted 66 focus groups with Asian Americans