- Nearly two-fifths (37%) of all Hispanics are foreign born, compared with 13% of the overall U.S. population.
- The groups with the largest foreign-born shares are Guatemalans, Hondurans and Peruvians (all 67%).
- Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are the only Hispanic origin groups with majority native-born shares. Only 36% of Mexicans and 1% of Puerto Ricans6 are foreign born.
- Hispanics on the whole are younger than the general U.S. population. The median age for Hispanics is 27 years while for the U.S. population it is 37 years.
- The youngest Hispanic groups are Mexicans (25), Puerto Ricans (27) and Guatemalans (27).
- Cubans are the oldest Hispanic group, with a median age of 40 years. Their median age is also higher than that of the U.S. population (37 years).