April 7, 2014

6 facts about marijuana

A new Pew Research Center survey found a broad shift in the public’s views on the nation’s drug policies, with many in favor of shifting the focus of government efforts from prosecution to treatment for use of illicit drugs. The survey also attracted much attention for its findings on attitudes about legalizing marijuana and views of its use. Here are six key facts on public opinion about marijuana:

Growing support for marijuana legalization1Support for marijuana legalization continues to grow. A 54% majority of Americans say the drug should be made legal, compared with 42% who want it to be illegal. Opinions have changed drastically since 1969, when Gallup first asked the question and just 12% favored legalization. Much of the change in opinion has occurred over the past few years — support has risen 13 points since 2010. Separately, 76% in our new survey say people convicted of minor possession should not serve time in jail.

Growing support for legalization of marijuana2Not all groups support legalization. Only about four-in-ten Republicans (39%) do. While most non-Hispanic whites and blacks  say marijuana should be made legal, only 43% of Hispanics share that view. Among generations, 69% of Millennials say marijuana should be legal while only 30% of those 69 and older share that view. Baby Boomers, who were the most supportive generation in the 1970s before becoming opponents during the “Just Say No” 1980s, are now more likely to favor (52%) than oppose (45%) legalization.

3About seven-in-ten (69%) Americans believe alcohol is more harmful to a person’s health than marijuana while 15% pick marijuana as worse (14% say both or neither). If marijuana became as widely available as alcohol, 63% still believe alcohol would be more harmful to society.

4Nearly half (47%) of Americans say they have tried marijuana, and 11% in the past year, which the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health says is the most commonly-used illicit drug in the U.S. The government survey showed that 18.9 million Americans 12 or older (7.3%) had used marijuana in the prior month.

Although more support marijuana legalization, many Americans would be bothered to see it smoked in public5While support for legalizing marijuana is growing, 63% of Americans would be bothered if people did their smoking in public. More than half (54%) think that legalizing marijuana would lead to more underage people trying it. On the other hand, about six-in-ten (57%) said they would not be bothered if a store or business selling marijuana legally opened up in their neighborhood.

6Changes in state drug lawsJust two states, Colorado and Washington, have fully legalized marijuana while an additional 15 states have decriminalized certain amounts of marijuana possession. More broadly, this comes at a time when a bipartisan group of senators is sponsoring a bill to reduce mandatory minimums for many federal drug crimes. Recently, Attorney General Eric Holder called on the United States Sentencing Commission to reduce mandatory sentences for certain low-level drug offenses. On a statewide level, 40 states have taken some action to ease their drug laws since 2009, according to a Pew Research Center analysis.

Category: 5 Facts

Topics: Domestic Affairs and Policy, Drugs

1. is a Research Analyst at the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

1. William J. Phillips2 months ago

My how things have changed in much of the country! This comes from a person who received a 5 year felony conviction for the possession of two marijuana “roaches” in 2000 in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. Finally, at least some states and people are realizing that we, I, are not criminals!!!

2. Sheila3 months ago

Yes I think it should be legal it’s a kick back make you relax.

3. Guy5 months ago

Let me first that I’d like to thank those who made medical marijuana so professional enough so that the government was even impressed with the way it’s been handled from seed to plant to patient someone really took time to take make it so professional it makes me proud of those who took the time and do it right. I think with the professionalism that this has been handled with the government will finally agree to having medical marijuana legal. I’m a Vietnam veteran who has suffered chronic pain for over 40+ years so with the speed of MM becoming legal has excited me to the possibility of having something more to get me relief I need. God bless those who have taken on the task of making this valuable medicine become a reality for us who are suffering;)

4. Ned Morlef5 months ago

i want it legal b/c I have seen the sheriffs in multiple counties around NC involved in felonies like threatening murder & ruin with theft of property under color of law. It has corrupted our LE in the worse way. I didn’t believe what I saw until I saw it. The country would be shocked at what goes on in the dark .

5. J Fernandez6 months ago

health.usnews.com/health-news/ar…

enough said. To many people lack basic common sense. Making it legal will get rid of drug dealers?? Really? No it won’t. In fact seeing how they won’t be able to target adults anymore where do u think they will make up for their loss $.. people who can’t but it aka YOUR KIDS! Common sense! Please use it

1. Some People…5 months ago

If marijuana were made legal drug dealers would have to rely on selling hardcore drugs to the people that are ALREADY buying them. Marijuana has this funny term people made up called “Gateway Drug” and it’s 100% true, it is a Gateway drug because it is illegal and forces people that want it to go to drug dealers who will try to sell them hardcore drugs. It being illegal is the only thing that IS wrong with marijuana, and it isn’t marijuana’s fault, it’s greedy politicians and ignorant civilians that lap up lies like a cat laps up milk from a saucer. Drug dealers would NOT start targeting children more, that would be the BEST possible outcome as finding them around schools and places children are would make catching them next to a cake walk, as kids don’t like to wander around dark alleys at night by themselves, it’s rather easy to find people targeting children.

6. Ann Price6 months ago

I am a teacher of the baby boom era. I have occasionally smoked pot and do think it can impair a person’s ability to think clearly. Even though I know empirical data is necessary to REALLY ascertain truths in those or other issues, I offer an anecdote of an observation of a student I made in a classroom.
    The student came to class at the first period if the day, sat down and was supposed to write a short report about her weekend at her work-study job. I noticed that she was having trouble doing this but normally when she was asked to submit that regularly-required report, she’d completed it in about five minutes. I went over to her station to help. As I approached her I noticed that she wreaked of marajuana smoke to the point it was difficult to be near her and I do no have a sensitive nose at all. I noticed also that she could not manage to type a partial much less a complete sentence. She never did finish even the first two garbled sentences. So, from my observation, at least for her she was impaired and should NOT have been driving ANYTHING. And yet, that’s how she had gotten to school and with a younger sister in her car. I wouldn’t have wanted anybody I loved to have shared the roads with her.
    However, some uses of marajuana I think are ok. I have a relative who was very stressed in his job as are many people. He was alleviateing that stress with an after work, at home drink that became two or three.. It was getting to be problematic. His wife suggested a little weed in the evening and that helped a lot. And he has not increased his use at all. Granted other things might have been just as good, like exercise, but sometimes time restrains don’t make that feasible.
    I offer this with the currently popular quote “I’m just saying.”

7. Benjamin Brandenburg6 months ago

If marijuana isn’t legalized, it fills up the jails, and that’s just stupid.

8. Randall Burns6 months ago

I live in Washington state where Cannabis is legal to use–but not yet legally available to buy. We also have the strange situation where police are often not tested for drug or alcohol use–even though we have lots of lawyers, cops and judges with substance issues, while some government employees have a zero tolerance policy on cannabis.
    I think with legalization we need a more sensible testing policy for all drugs. Yes there are people that become unfit to do their jobs using both cannabis or alcohol-or even some prescribed medications. We also need to revisit the fact that even though the effects on the public of drug use by folks in positions of responsibility can be far greater, those folks are rarely tested or arrested. All public officials, officers
    of publicly traded companies and licensed professionals or law enforcement officers should be subject to drug and average alcohol consumption tests. We should not put casual users in jail–but chronic users need to be kept from jobs they cannot really do effectively or safely.

9. Kenneth Fulford6 months ago

I would like to use it for medical reasons. Pain and cancer don’t want to get high but the oil form will help many.
    The government knows it has medical uses. Big drug company don’t want the compaction.
    For 3000 years it was used as a medication. In the late 1930’s they were expanding the uses of it.
    I understand keeping it away from children but they can’t keep alcohol away from them.
    At least when its legal children will not be able to get it as easy as they do now.
    I can get off the narcotics that I take for pain that kills someone every 29 mins.

10. L. W. Fries6 months ago

Well, it seems where you get information is WAY more important than the truth. What’s more sad is that it has been with us since 1937! The audacity of lies and lawmakers to write into treaties such dribble as our stupid drug laws. Every signer was under threat of losing millions of dollars. SAD

So, the children shall lead! I know a bunch of “GRAYS” who indulge in secret just as they always have. All of them have medical prescriptions but fear the “LAW”.

OH, they all started on mikl!

11. Richard McDowell6 months ago

Down & down we go where it stops no one knows.

12. William Mattingly6 months ago

I’m a retired DEA Special Agent. In my 20 years on the job in 7 major U.S. cities, I’ve never interviewed a heroin addict who stated that he/she started drug use on heroin. No, their first entry into the drug world was pot, then they looked for a “bigger high” and off they went. Contrary to current myths, FBN, BNDD, DEA leadership forbid we agents on working on any cases under 100 lbs. and this was Chicago circa 1958! Small cases like this we turned over to local or state police. Our targets then and now are organized crime traffickers and lab operators. States that have liberalized pot use will see an increase in major auto accidents as a result of drugged drivers. As for me, I don’t intend to drive in either state. It’s bad enough in the state where I live now with alcohol intoxicated drivers!

1. Williams Katherine6 months ago

If you are a DEA agent, you have effectively demonstrated why your group has been one of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money in the history of this nation, because clearly you don’t know much about the drug you’re policing.

The entry drugs are nicotine, alcohol and caffeine. Every study has said as much – it’s just that most addicts are as oblivious as you apparently are, that those are mind-altering substances.

2.3 million people reported trying marijuana in 2009 – 617,000 tried cocaine and 180,000 tried heroine, in the same year. Facts are facts – marijuana is the most easily obtainable illicit drug (despite all the money wasted by our government trying to maintain a prohibition), so most people who’ve used other illicit drugs, have tried it too. That they found pot first, is in no way, shape or form, an indication that marijuana had any part in their later drug use. Some of them found LSD first – LSD isn’t the cause of their further drug use. Your attempt to suggest otherwise, is a joke – the facts overwhelming support that there is no gateway affect between marijuana and other drugs.

States that have had medical marijuana have NOT seen an increase in major traffic accidents, because the drug that causes driving impairment, is the legal one – booze. Every legitimate study on the use of marijuana while driving, showed that for most people, it made them highly observant (i.e. paranoid) and that people drive slower and more carefully when under the influence of marijuana.

Which is not to say that it isn’t an impairment, but if you’re in an accident involving marijuana, you are likely to be going a lot slower, and it’s less likely to be a major accident. Because unlike most other drugs, on marijuana, you are AWARE that you’re impaired, and you try to be extra cautious. Unlike with alcohol, where you imagine you’re bulletproof. There is zero correlation, between a relaxation in marijuana prohibition, in any state or nation, and an increase in major traffic accidents.

You think your experience makes you the expert, but it demonstrates the lies that parts of the drug enforcement engine have been telling themselves for years – because they refused to call Anslinger the liar he was.

And it he was a liar – just ask Portugal. They have proven, conclusively, that a responsible drug policy doesn’t involve jailing users. They have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that decriminalization works. And right now, 17 states are in the process of proving it too.

But you continue to tell yourself, that the facts – that we jail a larger percentage of our population than any other nation, and that an insane amount of people serving life sentences are doing so for non-violent possession crimes affected by the BS three-strikes rule, and that while white and black people use marijuana at roughly the same rates, black people are three times more likely to be arrested for possession – are good things.

The rest of us will rely on rational evaluation of the facts, not anecdotal stories from someone who clearly hasn’t bothered to ever research the lies he tells himself and others.

1. true blue3 months ago

Couldn’t have said it better! Thank you for your writing skills & knowledge of BS. All of the info is out there to know the facts. It is amazing how many governmental & law enforcement employees only repeat the propaganda that they have been fed & never take it upon themselves to check actual facts & history. The ignorance of not checking the validity of one’s own beliefs is the cause of many of the problems in our country. I hope & pray that our citizens will really begin to be more responsible for the “info” that they pass along.

2. Sheila3 months ago

Tell to them again they can give me a medical marijuana card and get me off all these pills I take for one thing but may cause something else the don’t work when you go back to the doctor he give you something else I’m tired of being a geniepig for pills .children are going to try everything out there on the market or off.It’s up to you as a parent to check you children

2. smorty6 months ago

You say heroin user started with marijuana?
      What about alcohol? I believe exposure to booze is more prevalent than marijuana … and to go further, can we trace it back to Mothers milk?

3. Destry C.6 months ago

GO AWAY! DEA!
      GO AWAY! DEA!
      GO AWAY! DEA!
      STOP DESTROYING PEOPLES ATTEMPTS TO START A LIFE THROUGH A PEACEFUL BUSINESS, LET THEM SELL THEIR WEED!!!

4. DrT Happy6 months ago

Mr. Mattingly, You are telling us you were a DEA agent? From your comment I would guess you are telling us a little fib aren’t you? What % of the total population did you deal with, maybe 1%? Or even Less? And from that group you have made a global statement that marijuana is THE entry drug? So obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. I personally know 30 or 40 people ( and in my 71 year on this planet maybe 200) that have used it and never went to anything else. Now I do know people who are alcoholics who use MJ excessively. People who are prone to addiction will go on to other stuff. People who are not won’t. I would so much rather be around a pot smoker than an alcoholic. And be driven by one. You just do not know what you are talking about, Sorry.

5. Some People…5 months ago

Your views have been so skewed by the laws you’ve been blindly enforcing for decades that I doubt even if the truth did come out, straight from the mouths that have been lying to you your entire life you would still not be able to comprehend it. It’s such a sad fate…

6. Gary g3 months ago

Heroin was the first drug I ever used & even Heroin lives under propaganda. . .you do not get a habit off the first Few uses.You are just another brainwashed Dea agent trying to brainwash the public through prejudicial ignorance!

13. slk6 months ago

what i’d like to know is when a cop pulls over a driver, how do you tell, whether they just smoked, or it was weeks ago???

1. Williams Katherine6 months ago

They can’t, which is a concern. But there are cognitive tests that can be used, to determine if someone is incapacitate to drive. It’s just that, thanks to the breathalyzer, we stopped bothering to actually test if someone is impaired, and instead decided we could arbitrarily decide at what blood-alcohol level someone is impaired. Which was a pretty stupid path to take, in any regard.

1. slk6 months ago

agree!!!

14. Annaemma6 months ago

Marijuana stays in the system for up to 30 days, and daily or frequent use means that one is under the influence all of the time. A young person is dangerously affected by constant use, and since you can’t control cigarettes enough to keep them out of young people’s hands, why would you do such with marijuana? It smells, it is unpleasant to be around people who use it. Many years ago we were exposed to it, kids used it, it didn’t make sense to me. If you can’t find ways to feel good about life, without using any drug at all…..alcohol, heroin, marijuana., tobacco…..then go out and volunteer for some good cause. You will feel really, really good.
    Marijuana legalization will be a money maker bonanza for the same kinds of corporation as are behind alcohol and tobacco, so when you see the corporations are behind legalizing marijuana, you will know why. Is there anything more ugly than a display case of all the different kinds. Of course, I am 81, and never smoked and rarely drank alcohol, maybe that’s why I am smarter than all who want to escape instead of live their lives as true members of society. I know, I know, all societies have used escapist mechanisms when life is hard, but the better groups have found ways to simply use their own intellects to feel good, and perhaps then have the ability to use wisely what is available. I am adamant about legalization, and will just say, you mark my words, you will be sorry in the long run. A society that can’t get along without drugs disappears from history. This is rambling, but at my age, I am entitled. It would be interesting to see if anyone can prove that what I write here isn’t true. You want your young teen to be smoking pot, or tobacco, or drinking underage, and driving? I guess there aren’t enough people having kids these days, birth rates are way down for whites. Welcome to the doped up world, it’s on its way.

1. DrT Happy6 months ago

I agree with most everything you say. And to make it a criminal offense and jail people for it is still just plain dumb. Alcohol is so much worse.

2. moose6 months ago

Also, not sure if you have noticed, but weed being illegal also doesn’t keep it out of kid’s hands, so why do you think wasting billions of dollars on prohibition is a good policy? I think its completely unpleasant to be around very drunk people, but I don’t want to throw people in prison for drinking, because that would be DUMB. I also think it would likely be unpleasant to be around you. “Many years ago we were exposed to it”. We are STILL exposed to it. It is WIDELY available. It has been used by humans for THOUSANDS OF YEARS. Get a grip on reality please.

3. Mr. Nice Guy5 months ago

Actually marijuana can stay in the system for really however long it takes for the body to break down the THC, which depends on the person and their weight, metabolism etc. Furthermore, I am almost 18 years old and have been immersed and around marijuana and the lifestyles of kids and teenagers today that smoke the reefer on a daily basis. Any moderately competent person with a cell phone can get weed from four different people. Weed is so widely accessible it’s a joke really. Making it legal would most definitely put restrictions on the illegal obtaining of reefer by younger kids who are choosing to get high for a few hours on the weekend with their friends trying to make an ordinary life extraordinary. We’re just young and reckless in an advancing society that is promoting the notion that to be seen as being older and more mature is the way to be cool and smoking and drinking every weekend is what makes that happen. The reality is, although getting “Turnt up” is a hell of time and they’ll probably be able to look back on these years as the best years of their lives, which I have yet to figure out is worth saying or not, marijuana itself does not affect their contribution to society in any shape or form. They have a choice to keep their lives in check and have their priorities straight while still enjoying whatever lifestyle suits them. I play hockey, go to school, take AP courses and get good grades, mind you, work a job and I still live it large whenever the opportunity presents itself. I have unparallelled personal experience in the world of drugs today by simply being a semi-popular kid in High School and through these experiences I have witnesses both the ridiculously idiotic things people have done on drugs (foolish shenanigans are 90% of the time the cause of multiple drugs and or ALCOHOL and a drug at the same time combo but ALCOHOL the main culprit) and also the harmless friendly neighborhood stoners who just want to get ripped and live life content to the fullest with nothing other than an Iced Tea and some food. Kids shouldn’t be prosecuted for doing only what is natural for teens today, it’s turning innocent smoking into an entire scandalous adventure of lies and deceit that turns sons against fathers and the people against the government. This article proves that people are beginning to accept weed as the magnificent tree it is and the amazing abilities it has.

4. Violet4 months ago

Great way of thinking that’s the same thing I say more money for the goverment and less for the people who need the money!

15. R Tonn6 months ago

The Federal Bureau of Narcotics was formed under the treasury Department in 1930 and Harry J. Anslinger was named director. He is more responsible than anyone else for advancing laws that made marijuana illegal. His tactic was promote racist connotations to marijuana use, suggesting that it made blacks feel equal to whites, and made white women susceptible to seduction by black men. William Randolph Hurst sensationalized these assertions and further moved criminalization legislation forward, also linking marijuana use to various forms of violence. The result was that marijuana became illegal under federal law in 1937.

We may find these tactics laughable today, but our continuing prohibition of marijuana use can be traced to these lies and the ambition of Anslinger and the yellow journalism of Hearst.

It’s time to reconsider, with a focus on the actual facts.

1. Phaedrus6 months ago

Nice writing R Tonn. Your argument is sound and quite honestly carries more weight than any of the other comments addressing this study. I am all for nationwide legalization of marijuana. It is truly less damaging than alcohol, and though it needs control, it is truly the best choice.

2. Some People…5 months ago

Smart man R Tonn, at least SOMEONE on this thread actually knows what they’re talking about. I hope this widespread ignorance gets fixed soon, I’m not sure how much more badmouthing of this wonderful plant I can take, marijuana is the jew to our governments nazi power, when will we stop the unneeded hate and wasted money…

3. Gary g3 months ago

Yes, very well and factually put!

16. Cares6 months ago

Who would want a person “stoned” or high as a “kite” on this drug, driving a car or working a complicated medical procedure?

1. DrT Happy6 months ago

Who would want a person drunk doing all these things. So you would rather jail all who want to get “high” but let the alcoholics keep doing what they are doing? If you drink any alcohol you are in the same category as someone who gets high. Because you do not know there is no difference, makes you unqualified to comment. You think that your one or two beers or glass of scotch does not impair you, yet it has the same effect as one or two hits of marijuana. And that is the whole point. If you occasionally get drunk, some people occasionally get to high. Same thing. Are you responsible when you are drunk? No driving, no beating your wife? Pot smokers are the same. (Except pot smokers, not drunk pot smokers, would never beat their wives.)

2. moose6 months ago

If you go to work drunk, you would get fired. Why do you think it would be any different for cannabis? Did you think this through much? Oh, and by the way, if I had to choose between someone doing a heavy night of drinking or someone doing a heavy night of smoking, it’d be the smoking 100% of the time. Alcohol can pretty much disable a person for a full 24 hours with the hangover – not so with weed. Get a grip on reality please.

17. dcinnovator6 months ago

The fact that it was ever made illegal in the first place shreds the constitution and it should give you great pause. If any of you ‘firmly against’ MJ folks can actually explain the process through which MJ became illegal, I’ll be surprised. If you knew the process, or more precisely the lack of process that went into making MJ illegal in the first place in the United States of America, I think you, you the Patriot, in the land of the Free, Don’t Tread on Me, stay off my property Uncle Sam and keep the Government out of my life- you would be ashamed you ever went along with this in the first place.

You talk about being ‘Conservative’ (which really doesn’t mean having the government tell you what to do around every corner) and living in the land of the free, but the minute the Gov makes up some silly law that creates good guys and bad guys, you roll over and take it- because inside, deep down, you’re weak and don’t think for your self.

I’m glad we’re all finally waking up. It will be nice to have fewer tax dollars being wasted on incarcerating those who are otherwise hard-working, tax-paying citizens.

The End.

18. jay6 months ago

So many uneducated people don’t get it! Why don’t the people that don’t understand, actually do some research before spouting off with their ridiculous jargon? Seriously!

How many of you studied biology or anatomy in college, or even went to college?

BTW, you’re on the wrong side of history. It’s coming one way or another. Regardless if it’s this year or in 3 years. It’s coming. Don’t be the one standing on the sidelines.

Empty the jails and stop wasting tax dollars on stupid laws.

19. Jody6 months ago

The fact is, that the gov. sould just make it leagal so we can stop putting the wrong crimals in jail. I mean who would you rather see in jail sombody on the street selling drugs trying to make money or somebody stealing from your bank account, like that stupid TV show mob wives and it turns out they commited faud, which everyone knows what the mobs famous for. I mean the gov. Should be more focused on other things besides what we do with or put into our body, do they have control over you. I watched documentry on posions does anyone remember the radium girls, when the gov. Said it alright to use radium. Why do think we have a stong pill dependicty because the gov.say that alright. And that they say cigarettes kill everyday but have they done anything to shut them down, no just stupid ads that dont do anything and cost money. I remember something from a news broadcast saying that muiltvitamins were bad for you. So I dont know what to believe anymore, what I do know is people are going to do what they want to do and theres nothing you can do about it, so if they want to do drugs their going to do drugs and come up with other ways to do them so you might well make them legal. I mean its pretty bad when you see it all the on the TV shows and the news that police arrested somebody for selling marijuana. And reason they were selling it was to make money which is what everyone wants. I mean think about if could make a 1000 a week selling weed, verses working a legal job that you work 40 hours or less, making maybe 8,9,10 dollars hours, witch job would you choose.

1. slk6 months ago

and when they only try to make a living off of your kids???

1. moose6 months ago

Versus the unregulated, unethical drug dealers that indiscriminately sell to your children under the current failed policy of prohibition? How about the scores of people who are regularly killed as a direct result of prohibition? How about the fact that you, as a parent, should take some responsibility and actually exhibit some sort of real parenting abilities.

2. Melinda Lockwood6 months ago

I would much rather see a drug dealer in jail. Making pot legal would effectively eliminate the black market. If I could make 1000 a week selling pot legally, I would do it. But the fact remains that drug dealers take advantage of our children (8, 9, 10 years old) who don’t need to be doing drugs of any sort. People who sell drugs to children (anyone under the age of 18 – sorry) should be thrown in jail. Adults should be allowed to consume whatever they choose but children do not need to use drugs. Comments like yours are ill-considered and short-sighted.

20. Hasan Hussein6 months ago

I do not support legalizing Marijuana, but if this is done then it should be treated in public like “open container” for alcohol and beer.
    As for decriminalization, misdemeanors with fines, and short-term incarceration for repeat offenders (like public drunkenness. No longer make it a felony except were alcohol is likewise so treated.

1. Timothy Steele6 months ago

Do you support oppression? It sounds like it.

1. slk6 months ago

oppression??? how do you feel about bamacare???

1. Kathryn6 months ago

Insurance if you can afford, help if you can’t, and all leading to a healthier population, which will lead to a stronger country. Healthy kids can learn better. It’s a win/win all around.

1. slk6 months ago

“afford”??? young people “aren’t” signing up, 400,000 uninsured only signed!!! how many millions that signed up, were kicked off their insurance??? how many are getting freebies??? how many are getting huge discounts??? what good is pediatrics and maternity to a 62 year old man, and millions like me??? “affordable”??? what do you think the insurance companies will do, when they see the people who are supposed to pay for this, are paying pennies to what was expected??? and now there’re more uninsured then before!!! and before you say no, remember over 5 million were kicked off their ins!!! the only thing affordable is…the name!!! remember the government never gives anything for free, someone has to pay first!!! so when you or your children grow up, and make it in this world, try to think what it feels like to be punished, for those who’ll do nothing!!! fortunately, not everyone are moochers, some are down on their luck, and will climb back up, but many don’t expect to do anything, which explains why there are jobs out there, with no one to hire!!! and don’t tell me about inequality, why are middle aged people flipping burgers, with 4, 5, 6 children??? everyone should know 2+2 doesn’t equal 10!!! looking forward to your reply!!!

2. jay6 months ago

You’re on the wrong side of history. Just like when white people said it was “race Mixing” when white people and black people were seen together.

Are you a medical doctor Hasan? Do you actually know the benefits of Marijuana?

1. slk6 months ago

i want you to think about that, for a while, really, only “white people”??? i don’t have to say you’re on the wrong side of history, because you’re babbling!!!

21. Lisa Porter6 months ago

I believe the biggest reason people have a hard time accepting marijuana is the ‘smoking’ aspect. Too many anti smoking campaigns have taken their toll. We need to educate the public on the various uses. Not only can it be turned into products, such as paper, rope, etc, it has incredible medical benefits. It can be used as an herb and added to many many dishes. It shouldn’t be that hard to regulate. Classify it with alcohol, put on age limits, with showing proof before buying and the normal no public consumption clauses with it. Farmers that currently grow tobacco can apply for a license to grow the marijuana. As for selling, it can be taken to the same warehouses as tobacco, taxed appropriately and sold to the businesses that will be using it. The amount of good it can do medically speaking is huge. Tack on the amount of revenue it can bring to a city or state, and so much more good could come out of it. Those people taught to believe it is evil and only used by evil need to be educated. This won’t happen unless they agree to read the literature and I am sorry but proclaiming it ‘toking’ or ‘smoking’ they won’t even open a link. Those of us in favor need to put our comments on the government sites where it will do the most good.

22. StunnedbytheIgnorance6 months ago

IF I SHOUT DOES THAT HELP? What the heck does smoking something have to do with the question of legalization of cannabis? If cannabis is legal there is no reason to smokeb it. You can if you liked, but there aren’t many out here claiming that smoked marijuana is healthy.
    What we really have is a situation where unjust laws have forced those who would use cannabis to do so in the most efficient manner. In other words, people only smoke it ( in general) because they don’t knowany other way to consume. Once prohibitionists get out of the way real research can be done on the best way to ingest but until then most people are forced to simply smoke it. Let’s get this law changed so people can become more acquainted with safer forms of ingestion.

23. William Clark6 months ago

As we review these six current political facts about marijuana, may we indulge a few in the medical, cultural, and historic realms?

Prohibition of marijuana is a premise built upon a tissue of lies: Concern For Public Safety. Our new law in Michigan saves hundreds of lives every year, on the highways alone. In November of 2011 a study at the University of Colorado found that, in the thirteen states that legalized medical marijuana between 1990 and 2009, traffic fatalities have dropped by nearly nine percent—and nearly ten percent in Michigan–while sales of beer went flat by five percent. No wonder Big Alcohol opposes it. Ambitious, unprincipled, profit-driven undertakers might be tempted too.

In 2012 a study released by 4AutoinsuranceQuote cited statistics revealing that marijuana users are safer drivers than non-marijuana users, as “the only significant effect that marijuana has on operating on a motor vehicle is slower driving”, which “is arguably a positive thing”. Imagine the further reduction in fatalities if marijuana were legalized for all adults.

Marijuana has many benefits, most of which are under-reported or never mentioned in American newspapers. Research at the University of Saskatchewan indicates that, unlike alcohol, cocaine, heroin, or Nancy (“Just say, ‘No!’”) Reagan’s beloved nicotine, marijuana actually encourages brain-cell growth. Research in Spain (the Guzman study) and other countries has discovered that it has tumor-shrinking, anti-carcinogenic properties. These were confirmed by the 30-year Tashkin population study at UCLA.

Drugs are man-made, cooked up in labs, for the sake of patents and the profits gained by them. They are often useful, but typically come with cautionary notes and lists of side effects as long as one’s arm. ‘The works of Man are flawed.’

Marijuana is a medicinal herb, the most benign and versatile in history. “Cannabis” in Latin, and “kaneh bosm” in the old Hebrew scrolls, quite literally the Biblical Tree of Life, used by early Christians to treat everything from skin diseases to deep pain and despair. The very name, “Christ” translates as “the anointed one”. Well then, anointed with what? It’s a fair question. And it wasn’t holy water, friends. Holy water came into wide use in the Middle Ages.

Medicinal oil, for the Prince of Peace. A formula from the Biblical era has been rediscovered. It specifies a strong dose of oil from kaneh bosm, ‘the fragrant cane’ of a dozen uses: ink, paper, rope, nutrition. . . . It was clothing on their backs and incense in their temples. And a ‘skinful’ of medicinal oil could certainly calm one’s nerves, imparting a sense of benevolence and connection with all living things. No wonder that the ‘anointed one’ could gain a spark, an insight, a sense of the divine, and the confidence to convey those feelings to friends and neighbors.

What gets to me are the politicians, prosecutors, and police who pose on church steps or kneeling in prayer on their campaign trails, but can’t face the scientific or the historical truth about cannabis, Medicinal Herb Number One, safe and effective for thousands of years, and celebrated by most of the world’s major religions.

1. Dennis Johnson6 months ago

Wasn’t cannabis first made illegal in the early 40s to protect the paper industry? There are so many uses for cannabis other than medicinal. In fact, in Colonial times you could be fined for not growing it – again for paper.

1. Hasan Hussein6 months ago

In WW2, hemp was needed by the Navy for rope.

2. Ritchie Santor6 months ago

Hey, Den John – Project Grow? – As mentioned above, William Randolph Hearst had his hand (and Anslinger’s) in assuring pot (and all hemp) was outlawed because of his life being wrapped up in Hearst Publishing and the lumber used to create the paper the newspapers were printed on. Harry J. Anslinger quote: “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.” Ha! Sounds like all we need is a couple show tunes and we’d be ready for “…a little night music.”

2. true blue3 months ago

Thank you William Clark. This information is something not many know about & usually is supressed. If only Americans would take the time to research all the oppressive lies pounded into our heads by the greedy capitalists & the political brainwashing, they would be amazed at the amount of truth covered up for the sake of money & specifically, control of the public opinion. With the continual propagation of lies it is much easier to control us & when we don’t know the actual facts & truth we stay confused & unable to see & know how to stop the fraud & the stealing us blind that the majority of those in power are accomplishing. If marijuana is legalized (which I am all for) then the “war on drugs” & those with top positions in this regime would lose billions of taxpayers money. Enough money to pay for health care for all of our country. I am very encouraged by the fact that now, because of the internet, it is becoming easier to share the truth & facts with each other. The greedy & the political & the Nancy Reagan followers into the “war” are becoming more exposed by the day. And once we are not so oppressed anymore by these kinds of people, we won’t be so sick & full of stress related diseases thereby not needing so much medicine!

24. Walter Heimert6 months ago

I THOUGHT SMOKING WAS BAD FOR ONES HEALTH. BUT ARE WE NOW SAYING “SMOKING IS BAD FOR ONES HEALTH BUT NOT MARIJUANA SMOKING?

1. James6 months ago

There are other ways to consume cannabis than smoking it.

You can vape it, cook it, bake it, etc. THC is a fat soluble molecule. You can put it in salad dressing.

2. Dennis Johnson6 months ago

Smoking tobacco products is bad for your health.

3. Jeremy Helbing6 months ago

Are you telling us that you are incapable of understanding that smoke can be more or less harmful for you depending on what is producing it?

4. Randall Burns6 months ago

Smoking anything is questionable. However some substances are more harmful per puff than others-and some substances are less likely to be used frequently. Tobacco is highly addictive and users develop a tolerance and tend to smoke frequently. Thus even if Cannabis were more dangerous per puff it might be less hazardous in typical use.