Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research Center’s work is carried out by a staff of 130.
The web developer is a member of a small digital team that develops data-driven digital features, visualizations and interactive tools based on center research, and that maintains a multi-site WordPress publishing environment. This position reports to the Director of Digital Strategy.
- Work with other members of the development team to maintain a custom multi-site WordPress.
- Provide Quality Assurance and testing of other team members’ code.
- Maintain comprehensive technical documentation and style guides.
- Work with knowledge management and development team to configure, update and maintain Google Search Appliance.
- Work with IT Systems and Network Engineer to ensure website security and stability.
- 3 to 5 years professional experience developing web, mobile and other digital projects, preferably at a news organization, think-tank or non-profit organization.
- 1 to 2 years experience with WordPress.
- Experience with a data visualization product (Highcharts, D3.js, etc.)
- Experience reviewing designs/wireframes and pointing out potential development concerns.
- Experience developing and maintaining custom WordPress plugins and themes.
- Experience importing and managing data from external sources and APIs.
- Experience managing a shared codebase with other developers using Git, Subversion (SVN) or other version control system.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 3 years web development experience working in a news, research or non-profit environment.
- Intermediate knowledge of PHP and MySQL.
- Demonstrated understanding of web standards, usability and human-user interaction philosophies and their application to web and mobile development, navigation, information architecture and content hierarchy. Experience with Responsive Design principles and coding (including media queries) a plus.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to build and maintain strong relationships with project stakeholders.
- Ability to be creative and innovative, set priorities, organize time and identify resources for projects.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to clearly explain complex technical problems to less technical users.
- Ability to write and maintain user and system documentation for applications and processes.
Applicants should email a complete resume, cover letter (including where you learned of the opening), code samples and salary expectation to email@example.com.
Responses can also be mailed to:
Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
We are an equal opportunity employer.