Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research Center’s work is carried out by a staff of 130.
The Information Graphics Designer is a member of the Pew Research Center’s Core department. This position is primarily responsible for creating user-centric information graphics, social media-friendly digital products and online data visualizations. The Information Graphics Designer is a visual storyteller who can examine large, statistical data sets and create clear, compelling online layouts, images and interactive features that can stand on their own or complement research studies and blog posts. Candidates must be proficient in Adobe CS tools (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and show a portfolio that demonstrates information design and data visualization acuity. This position reports to the Art Director.
This is a temporary position. The position will start around July 1, 2015 and will be employed for approximately six months.
- Design and develop digital information graphics under Art Director’s guidance.
- Work with demographers, survey researchers, economists, programmers and editors to conceptualize and produce accurate, compelling visual data narratives in a variety of digital formats.
- Create promotional graphics and find/photo edit images to use on Pew Research websites and social media accounts.
- Stay up-to-date with trends in visual communication, especially web design standards and data visualization and analysis.
- Produce all work to meet the highest standards of data presentation, visual design and Pew Research Center style.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design with emphasis on Journalism or related equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum 1-2 years experience or equivalent academic work in graphic design or infographics.
- Experience in statistics, data analysis, or cartography a plus.
- Experience designing for online presentation.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Extensive experience using Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent editorial judgment and proven ability to design high-quality charts, graphics, and other visual material.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to consistently work well with others.
- Strong analytic abilities to capture and illustrate the essence of data for a lay audience.
- Must be highly organized with strong attention to detail with ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize and deliver against tight deadlines with minimal guidance.
Applicants should email a complete resume, cover letter (indicating where you learned of the opening), work samples (as emails or link to online portfolio), and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responses can also be mailed to:
Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
We are an equal opportunity employer.