Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; science and society; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. The Center’s work is carried out by a staff of about 140.
The Digital Producer will play a key role in the day-to-day production of multiple Pew Research Center web sites and other digital properties. He/she will format and upload reports, graphics and other materials using a variety of publishing systems and serve as a resource for all digital production needs across the Center. This position reports to the Digital Project Manager, but works closely with editors, researchers, graphic artists, front- and back-end web developers, communications and IT staff. Occasional night and weekend hours required.
- Publish content to Pew Research web sites using WordPress and other content management systems
- Serve as project manager for multiple assigned research areas to manage production workflow for digital products and collaborate on creating content that best conveys Pew Research data findings
- Collaborate with researchers, social media editor and design teams to ensure all content is optimized for social media
- Collaborate with communications, editors, and digital analytics specialist to maintain and apply content taxonomy and ensure content is optimized for search
- Make updates to web site home pages
- Perform quality control and copy editing duties for all materials published
- Publish e-mail newsletters and other promotional materials
- Develop a sophisticated understanding of Pew Research Center digital publishing systems
- Provide training and support to less experienced users
- Bachelor’s degree
- One to three years digital production experience, ideally at a think-tank, research, or news organization
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience creating online multimedia packages including video, photo galleries and graphics
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Ability to update and maintain existing projects
- Demonstrated understanding of standards based HTML, CSS and search engine optimization
- Familiarity with Photoshop and other visual-design tools
- Familiarity with social media and email marketing tools
- Interest in emerging digital technologies including content management, publication workflow, mobile, social media marketing, audio/video, etc.
- Basic understanding of fundamentals of information architecture and user-centric design
- Basic knowledge of Google Analytics or other web analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of search-engine-optimization principles
- Ability to meet deadlines with strict attention to detail and accuracy
- Interest in Pew Research Center’s diverse body of work and in exploring innovative ways of presenting data and research via digital channels
- Ability to plan data structures in an object oriented fashion a plus
Applicant should send a résumé, cover letter (indicating where you learned of the opening) with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses can also be mailed to:
Human Resources Department
Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
We are an equal opportunity employer.