Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research Center’s work is carried out by a staff of 130.
The Digital Producer plays a key role in the day-to-day production of Fact Tank, Pew Research Center’s data journalism blog and the PewResearch.org homepage. The role includes copy editing digital content, from Tweets to blog post copy and headlines. The digital producer is responsible for daily operation of the Fact Tank social media channels and will develop ideas to optimize the social media and search-friendly content of blog posts. He/she works closely with researchers, writers and editors, graphic artists, front- and back-end web developers, communications and IT staff to package content and develop innovative new online products that feature the research of multiple projects within the Center. This position reports to the Senior Digital Editor.
- Produces new daily content for Pew Research’s Fact Tank blog in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Manages production workflow to ensure timely publication of posts and ensures that content is engaging, SEO-optimized and optimized to reach a broad digital audience
- Manages Fact Tank’s primary social media channels with brand-appropriate content and engagement style
- Assists with copy editing digital content, such as blog text, headlines, Tweets, graphics and multimedia.
- Conceives of and executes new innovative ways to display content online, including use of video, data visuals, curation and multimedia tools, to improve user engagement and deliver it to a growing digital audience
- Ensures that PewResearch.org and other Pew Research Center web pages are displaying the most up-to-date and relevant content related to the national and international news and contributes ideas to improve the user experience
- Serves as liaison with researchers to propose digital content to best convey data findings for the global digital audience
- Coordinates multiple internal editorial, technical, and design resources for long- and short-term web projects
- Collaborates with communications and web development team to maintain and apply content taxonomy and search engine optimization
- Bachelors degree, preferably in journalism, or related field
- At least three to five years online production experience, ideally at a news organization, or other organization that creates daily content for a large public audience
- Experience with web publishing systems (WordPress)
- Experience with managing branded social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, etc.)
- Experience with a variety of web tools for curating digital content and engaging an online audience
- Experience creating online multimedia content including video, photo galleries and graphics
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Ability to meet daily deadlines and turn around production of new content quickly, similar to a newsroom environment
- Strong news judgment, headline-writing skills, copy editing skills and interest in public policy issues related to Pew Research Center’s areas of work
- Strong social media skills and experience managing large branded accounts; demonstrated ability to grow audience
- Experience and high comfort level in working with numbers and data trends. Ability to gain an understanding of Pew Research Center’s diverse body of work, and to assist researchers and journalists in exploring innovative ways of presenting data and research via multiple digital channels
- Ability to coordinate groups of content experts, editors, visual designers and programmers to develop online products
- Demonstrated skills in attention to detail and accuracy, both in language and presenting numbers.
- Experience with interactive and multimedia web tools and interest in experimenting with new ways to distribute information to a digital audience
- Familiarity with Photoshop and other visual design tools
- Strong understanding of standards based HTML, CSS and search engine optimization. Demonstrated work experience with content management systems.
- Understanding of, and interest in keeping up with, emerging web-based technologies including mobile, social media, audio/video streaming, curation, etc.
- Understanding and expertise in using digital analytics such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Sysomos, Omniture
FLSA Status: Exempt
Applicants should email a complete resume, cover letter (including where you learned of the opening), and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responses can also be mailed to:
Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
We are an equal opportunity employer.