Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research Center’s work is carried out by a staff of 130.
The Communications Assistant assists with media relations; handles general email and phone correspondence; updates contact databases; monitors a variety of quantitative indicators related to dissemination; and provides administrative and logistical support. The position reports to the Communications Director.
This is a temporary position. The position will start around August 1, 2015 and will be employed for approximately three months.
- Assist with media relations by monitoring and compiling daily press clips, distributing press releases and adding to press lists. Build press lists using Cision, Leadership Directories and other tools.
- Assist with stakeholder/public relations by answering the communications phone line, checking general information email accounts and following up with communications colleagues and researchers as appropriate; responding to requests for information and permissions; maintaining stakeholder mailing lists; and assisting with the distribution of publications.
- Update, maintain and help build communications contact lists using Salesforce and Excel.
- Assist with internal communications efforts, as needed.
- Assist Communications Director and communications team with administrative tasks, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism or communications.
- One to two years’ related experience.
- Washington experience is a plus.
Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills. Ability to build and cultivate relationships with colleagues within communications and across functional teams. Confident telephone manner; comfortable making calls to and fielding calls from media organizations and the public.
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in media and current topics.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time, plan and identify resources for projects. Comfortable asking questions and adopting a proactive, client-oriented approach.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team as well as independently to meet goals. Self-directed to take action and resolve issues.
- Ability to maintain high quality of work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Familiarity with Cision, Leadership Directories, Salesforce a plus.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Applicants should email a complete resume, cover letter (including where you learned of the opening), and salary expectation to email@example.com.
Responses can also be mailed to:
Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
We are an equal opportunity employer.